Linn Owners

Power Supply upgrade reco for LP12 Valhalla

jigsaw

Wammer
Jun 21, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi everyone,
I've just posted in the 2 channels forum to get some help and discovered this Linn thread : Nottingham Analogue / looking for a laidback sounding TT

To summarize, I am looking for a relaxed, laid back sound because of my hyperacusis/tinnitus. I can't handle any brightness.
Relaxed sound doesn't mean it has too be overly warmed.
Currently I own a Thorens TD126 with Shure V15 type IV with Art Audio Preamp for the phono stage, but I find that it has a lack of refinement.

Next Friday, I plan to listen a fully serviced Linn LP12 with Valhalla, Ittok LVII and Grado Master I cartridge at a Linn retailer.
As 45rpm is a must have, and given my context, I would like to know what would be the best external Power Supply to have this relaxed sound. Which Lingo ? Or Orbit ?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Last edited:

heimo

Naimless
Wammer
Sep 14, 2020
Vienna, Austria EU
AKA
Heimo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
An LP12, maybe more than any other turntable, can be whatever you want it to be. There have been so many configurations over the years that range from the "sloppy ol' fruitbox" to a super precise, very modern deck.

My recommendation is as follows: Grab the LP12 and the Ittok, which is a superb arm and not too common these days. Swap the Valhalla for a Lingo 2 or 3, which are identical but for the casework, and fairly good value. Get the new bearing, Karousel. If you can stretch to a Kore subchassis, all the better - I read from that other thread that you have a 4K budget to spent, so this might work out. This should give you a maximum of information while preserving Linn's classic vibe.

A lot of the change in Linn's sound signature is rooted in electronics and speakers, however, so I would definitely recommend listening to a Linto in combination with a modern Linn cartridge, like a Krystal. I found these to be stunningly musical and detailed, yet without harshness, being what I would understand by "laid back" sound, without losing its rhythm.

But keep in mind, this is just an opinion, hardly worth two Cents (EUR)...

Last edited:

Ron.P

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi everyone,
I've just posted in the 2 channels forum to get some help and discovered this Linn thread : Nottingham Analogue / looking for a laidback sounding TT

To summarize, I am looking for a relaxed, laid back sound because of my hyperacusis/tinnitus. I can't handle any brightness.
Relaxed sound doesn't mean it has too be overly warmed.
Currently I own a Thorens TD126 with Shure V15 type IV with Art Audio Preamp for the phono stage, but I find that it has a lack of refinement.

Next Friday, I plan to listen a fully serviced Linn LP12 with Valhalla, Ittok LVII and Grado Master I cartridge at a Linn retailer.
As 45rpm is a must have, and given my context, I would like to know what would be the best external Power Supply to have this relaxed sound. Which Lingo ? Or Orbit ?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff
I would also be looking for a phono preamp that gives maximum flexibility for setting resistive and capacitance loading. Both of those parameters can be used to color the sound.
For example, PS Audio's "Stellar" preamp's settings can be adjusted with the remote, on the fly.
Sells for approx $1500.

jigsaw

Wammer
Jun 21, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My Art Audio phono stage is very flexible :
- I can change the tubes
- it works either in passive or active mode which has a huge impact on the sound

Reactions: Ron.P

jigsaw

Wammer
Jun 21, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Is the Lingo 4 more « hifi » sounding compared to previous ones ?

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If I was in the market for a Lingo 4, I’d really be thinking about saving up a bit more and be looking for a preowned Akurate Radikal 1. Better again.

‘troll

jigsaw

Wammer
Jun 21, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So the Lingo 4 is more relaxed sounding compared to previous ones ?

sktn77a

Audio Dinosaur
Wammer
Nov 11, 2014
NC, USA
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Be sure to take your Thorens turntable with you for the demo and compare with the Linn. What arm do you have and how old is the cartridge? The problem may be with your hearing, rather than the present turntable.

A used Lingo may be a solution to the 45RPM dilemma but a Hercules would also give you this at a lower price. I agree with the recommendation, above, to avoid the steel subchassis, if possible - even a Majik subchassis is better.

Oh, and NEVER buy a used cartridge!!!

Reactions: akamatsu

jigsaw

Wammer
Jun 21, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for all these recommandations.
My digital setup is way better than my phono one.
The Thorens arm is the TP16 mk3.

jigsaw

Wammer
Jun 21, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In short can you please tell me the cons of the steel chassis in terms of sound ?
I’m a bit lost because I have been told first that the old Linn P12 should perfectly suit my taste and constraints as they sound warmer than the current ones.
I am not against doing some changes/mods if I buy a legacy one but I need to know which ones 😀

To summarize -correct me If I’m wrong- the legacy lp12 with ittok LVII (note that it has been fully serviced) that I am spotting should be great with the following mods :
- Karousel kit : must have ? Should have ?
- Lingo 2/3 or 4
- Linn Kore : must have ?

At the end what will be the difference between that legacy model and a brand new one ?

thanks for your great help

sktn77a

Audio Dinosaur
Wammer
Nov 11, 2014
NC, USA
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The steel chassis allowed vibrations and resonances from the motor and bearing to transfer to the arm, cartridge and therefore into your audio. This was mitigated to some extent by a fortuitous, "lossy" connection between the Liberty Bell (sorry, steel subchassis) and the arm in the form of three tiny, flimsy screw connections to the armboard. Of course this flies in the face of everything Linn told us in the day. Linn finally, and indirectly, admitted this flaw in it's design by introducing non-resonant, aluminum subchasses (Majik, Kore, Keel) and a more rigid armboard attachment method (greater surface area and armcollar fixing on the Majik, and one-piece subchassis/armboard or the Kore and Keel).
So, honestly, I'd steer well clear of any steel subchasses!

Last edited:

Nestor Turton

Nestor Turton
Wammer
Jan 30, 2019
Nowhere in Particular
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Agreed a Karousel, Lingo 2/3/4 and Kore would give you an excellent LP12 record player, but ideally you should listen to these upgrades to decide if they suit.

If you need to tune the sound then I’d check out Schiit Audio’s Loki, which works in the analogue domain. I’ve used an entry level Loki and it can tame sibilance and other high frequency nasties album by album and switch out when not needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron.P

heimo

Naimless
Wammer
Sep 14, 2020
Vienna, Austria EU
AKA
Heimo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The steel chassis allowed vibrations and resonances from the motor and bearing to transfer to the arm, cartridge and therefore into your audio. Linn's solution was to design a "lossy" connection between the Liberty Bell (sorry, steel subchassis) and the arm in the form of three tiny, flimsy screw connections to the armboard. Of course this flies in the face of everything Linn told us in the day. Linn finally, and indirectly, admitted this fatal flaw in it's design by introducing non-resonant, aluminum subchasses (Majik, Kore, Keel) and a more rigid armboard attachment method (greater surface area and armcollar fixing on the Majik, and one-piece subchassis/armboard or the Kore and Keel).
So, honestly, I'd steer well clear of any steel subchasses!
You are right in every point you make. With hindsight, the LP12 we knew in the 90s and up to the noughties, when the Majik was released, was utter crap and fell short of every definition of hi-fi imaginable. Hard to believe that anybody would have chosen it over its competitors, or even over a half decent CD player.
Or was it?

sktn77a

Audio Dinosaur
Wammer
Nov 11, 2014
NC, USA
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, I don't know if it was crap but this fortuitous and chintzy method of armboard mounting probably masked a multitude of sins. I think the early LP12s sounded good in spite of their design, rather than because of it!

• Wow
Reactions: ThomasOK

ThomasOK

LP12 Whisperer, Lejonklou importer
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Yes, Lingo 4 better than previous Lingos. One thing to consider from a budgetary perspective is the Lingo 2 and 3 will use the same motor as that in the valhalla deck (50Hz Premotec A/C motor running on ~80-120V), while the Lingo 4 requires a new and dedicated 12V motor.
Since the Lingo 4 includes the dedicated 12V motor in the price I don't see how this changes the budgetary considerations.

I wouldn't say that the Lingo 4 is more or less relaxed sounding than the 2 or 3. It does pick up more information from the groove, lessens audibility of surface noise and renders subtle harmonics more audible but I don't find it to make things brighter or more sterile. If anything I would think of it as less sterile than a Valhalla.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles