Pre preamplifiers vs step up transformers

Purite Audio

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 29, 2007
London, UK
AKA
Keith
Anyone had any experience with pre-preamps cpmpared to the more usual step-up transformers , are pre-pres still made even?

M

murray johnson

Linn & Naim still seem to use active MC stages. Audio Research put so much gain into their pre's it makes no difference. Shelter make an active stage as well as a transformer.

I've yet to hear an active stage that gets close.

M

murray johnson

I haven't heard that one but several others. I don't think they cut it.

M

murray johnson

the S&B ones are supposed to be ok if loaded properly. Not as expensive either.

I'm sure some of AudioNote UK's trannies would be decent as well.

Or buy some Hashimoto's & wire up your own. Always for sale on eBay. I bet they are pretty good.

Purite Audio

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 29, 2007
London, UK
AKA
Keith
Murray ,you use a AN Uk cart don't you and a sfz, what do you use for a phono stage,if you don't mind me asking, would you go the m77 route is cost were no object? Keith.

M

murray johnson

I use an AN UK Io and some older Audionote Japan S6 transformers. The cartridge may be changing soon. The M77 is very nice but I couldn't afford one. I'm also more interested in making a phono stage with LCR Eq later this year as someone showed in another thread (thatI can't now find!)

M

murray johnson

UK made cartridge

I think S&B make the ANUK transformers but to entirely different AN specced designs than those they make for Music First Audio.

bodymusic

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 6, 2006
Greater London
murray johnson wrote:

...... I'm also more interested in making a phono stage with LCR Eq later this year as someone showed in another thread (thatI can't now find!)
Hi Murray,

I was thinking of getting a fully-assembled (LCR) Cole MM/MC phono stage from DIY Hifi supply in Hong Kong, which is meant to be really good:

http://www.diyhifisupply.com/diyhs_cole.htm

(scroll to bottom of page)

The spec has changed since I last looked a few months ago. They seem to be using a SQ Supermalloy 600 LCR Eq module instead of the S&B LCR one used in the past (they weren't able to get sufficient LCR modules from S&B, I think). It comes with a SQ Supermalloy step up transformer whereas last year you had a choice between ordering it with a basic amorphous core transformer or a S&B TX103.

I was previously thinking of buying this phono stage but I've no idea how this SQ stuff compares to S&Bs. Also, its a bit risky buying something at that price ($1337) without hearing it first, despite its good reputation! This appears impossible without actually going to Hong Kong! Shame though, because with the dollar-pound rate being so favourable, the LCR Cole would only cost about £900 including shipping and import duty (by my calculation). This is substantially less than something like a Noteworthy phonote at £1700.

Another even cheaper option I could consider would be to buy a cheap second-hand Ear 834P MM, chuck out the valves and coupling caps, and wire up something like a TX103.

Returning to the topic of the thread, I'd say using a high quality step up is the best way to go with MC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaveB