trident

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 18, 2006
Manchester
AKA
Stephen Steele
Hi,

After asking many questions on this forum about valve amps, I've finallybought a pair of WADKel 80 monoblocks. Now I'm looking for a cheap preamp to operate them until I can get something better.Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Best wishes

Stephen

dudywoxer

Looking for a bigger stirring stick
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
how cheap?, if you can find one in budget the Rega Cursa has 3 adjustable gain levels, one of which should suit the WAD's

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
trident wrote:

Hi,After asking many questions on this forum about valve amps, I've finallybought a pair of WADKel 80 monoblocks. Now I'm looking for a cheap preamp to operate them until I can get something better.Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Best wishes

Stephen
Cheap ?

If I was having a play with pre-amps below £500 I'd certainly be looking at some classic HK gear.Get thyself onto German Fleabay. These go for pennies, and the quality of HK gear in that era - well there are a few fans of it here.

jkbmusic

Staff member
Nov 25, 2006
Brittunculi
AKA
Jeff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
trident wrote:

Hi,After asking many questions on this forum about valve amps, I've finallybought a pair of WADKel 80 monoblocks. Now I'm looking for a cheap preamp to operate them until I can get something better.Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Best wishes

Stephen
Stephen, couldnt log on to website to have a look at the WAD Kel 80 Monoblocks, but I have one of these

834L_Full.jpg

and am very happy with it. Wish I could afford the Ear Poweramps to go with it but at £3k each :shock:will have to wait for the lottery numbers to come up.

http://www.ear-yoshino.com/productdetails.asp?page=5&id=37

trident

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 18, 2006
Manchester
AKA
Stephen Steele
Hi,

sorry if this is a stupid question, but would a passive reamp work, or does it need to be powered.

As you can see, I'm not exactly up to speed with ths hifi lark. As for how cheap? I'd say in the region of 250 quid, at least for the time being. I think I'll be looking for something on eBay.

mighty ant

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 26, 2006
London, England
AKA
Anthony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi,

There's a CR Developments Carmenta line stage pre amp for sale on http://www.hififorsale.com The guy is looking for £220. Sorry it doesn't have a phono stage if you're into vinyl. Go into Free Adds and type in CR in the search engine. Company makes good power and pre amps. Hope this helps.

Anthony.

trident

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 18, 2006
Manchester
AKA
Stephen Steele
Hi,

CR Developments Carmenta looks good, I'll see if he's prepared to post. Does anyone know anything about the Kel 80's. I can't find much about them on google.

Initially, I was going to buy an amp from "Affordable valve company" then I heard about the problems of purchasing from them. After that my first choice was a Leak stereo 20. But the really good ones, as sold by Classique Sounds, were out of my price range, any many others that I looked at seemed to have problems. So thats how I ended up with the monoblocks. Hope I've done the right thing, its too bad if I haven't now!

Dik Dolan

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2005
United Kingdom
For more info on the KEL80, it's probably worth asking on the world designs forum.

http://www.wduk.worldomain.net/forum/

And for preamps, I recently built the new WD pre3/phono/psu kits and they are really really good. An alternative would be a passive or a tvc ( check out hificollective and promitheus), but I prefer theWD pre3 to my tvc, it gives more drive and excitement to music, in my opinion.

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
trident wrote:

Best wishes

Stephen
The Emporium has a Croft Valve pre at £250 very very good

mighty ant

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 26, 2006
London, England
AKA
Anthony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
trident wrote:

Hi,CR Developments Carmenta looks good, I'll see if he's prepared to post. Does anyone know anything about the Kel 80's. I can't find much about them on google.
I'd google CR Developments to see if this is on their current product list, if not give them a call to see how old it is and what the spares situation is should the worst happen. If posted make sure its insured for the correct amount.

mrwippy

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Nov 6, 2006
Plymouth, UK
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Very nice preamp - I spent ages looking for one awhile back to use with my CRRomulus (only needed the gold knobs to match)but in the end went with the MiniMax.

Let me know if trident doesn't go for it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles