Price of Garrards in Japan!!!

Dynamic Turtle

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 23, 2005
743
0
0
HADOOOOKEN!!!!, ,
Jesus H Christ - just been hawking around the Japanese used/x-dem sites and got a shock to see Garrard 301's going for anything between £1,500 - £2000!!

Shit the bed
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif
!!

DT

 

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
6,491
8
0
Cambs, , United King
Shindo has made them dead popular over there - stick one in a very heavy bonded wood plinth with a modern arm, and you have a very nice turntable apparently (think Shindo might do a bit more than this - new bearing perhaps, but they definately start with a Gerrard).

The other idler wheel (?) decks like Lenco's are quite sought after too IIRC.

 

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
7,229
3,080
158
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
*sits back with a smug, 301-owning smile of satisfaction on face*

after soundly berating Biccy for referring to them as GErrard, of course.........
wink.png


 

nixon_fiend

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 31, 2005
793
1
0
Leeds UK, ,
there's a NEW BOXED UNUSED 1960s 401 on hificandy .. I think he's looking for about a grand for it

Imagine what you could get for that in Nippon....
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif


 

stefanher

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 17, 2006
860
0
0
Lincs, , United King
AKA
Stefan
Knowing the price of 301's in Japan I bought one from e-bay in a satisfactory SME plinth with a view to making a lot of money selling it in Japan.Before disposing of it I thought I'd compare it to my top flight Linn deck, using a 3009 SME arm & a Goldring MM on the Garrard & the Ekos/Archiv on the Linn.

It was the Linn that was sold....

To date I've not heard a deck under £3K that even vaguely compares in quality to the 301. If anyone knows more expensive decks that do I'd be interested in auditioning them. Of course it's been lovingly upgraded to an Afromosia plinth & Illustrious/Lyra combination.
smile.png


 

Dynamic Turtle

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 23, 2005
743
0
0
HADOOOOKEN!!!!, ,
enjoy_the_music wrote:

Nah thats balls. We routinely see GG's go for UK money and less...ok grey grease bearing models are worth more but never £2000...400k yen!!!!!!
Well, the one's that I saw (can't remember the website - just passing through) were definitely £1500-£2000. I think from the description they had been professionally refurbished and guaranteed, which perhaps explains the price.

They must also laugh at the prices we pay for Accuphase & Esoteric over here!

DT

 

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
6,819
1,472
158
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
stefanher wrote:

Knowing the price of 301's in Japan I bought one from e-bay in a satisfactory SME plinth with a view to making a lot of money selling it in Japan.Before disposing of it I thought I'd compare it to my top flight Linn deck, using a 3009 SME arm & a Goldring MM on the Garrard & the Ekos/Archiv on the Linn.It was the Linn that was sold....

To date I've not heard a deck under £3K that even vaguely compares in quality to the 301. If anyone knows more expensive decks that do I'd be interested in auditioning them. Of course it's been lovingly upgraded to an Afromosia plinth & Illustrious/Lyra combination.
smile.png
The guy I bought my LP12 from years ago was selling it due to getting a Garrard 301, built his own plinth (which was very nice) and put a 3009 on it.

I had a good listen when I bought the LP12 - still one of the most enjoyable, musical and totalling lacking in hifi crapola sounds I've ever heard. No wonder they go for silly money - apart from the treble, whcih is maybe a bit of a weak point but more than make up for it in the bass, they are easily as good as most modern decks.

No wonder he was selling the Linn.

 

Emma Royd

Super Wammer Plus
Wammer
May 10, 2006
3,343
8
0
Dartford
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've been told that the Linns give an unnatural over boppy sound and ar'nt really rated nowadays.

In fact I was told the motors are made to run slightly fast,whichprobably accounts for the above,but to be truthful,I've never heard one.

 
P

purplepleaser

Guest
are they that good or just collectable.Exuse my lack of knowledge

 
G

Guest

Guest
Emma Royd wrote:

I've been told that the Linns give an unnatural over boppy sound and ar'nt really rated nowadays.In fact I was told the motors are made to run slightly fast,whichprobably accounts for the above,but to be truthful,I've never heard one.
you don't want to either emma not with linn arms and cartridges anyway.

that garrard is at 1400 quid already some people are fucking crazy i'm sure.

 

stefanher

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 17, 2006
860
0
0
Lincs, , United King
AKA
Stefan
purplepleaser wrote:

are they that good or just collectable.Exuse my lack of knowledge
I have compared my Garrard to decks costing well over £2K including the Orbe,Origin & Nottingham. They are less "precise" but have a better bass response than any of the above & impart a "joie de vivre" to the recordings that none of the others can. Yes, they are that good but were forgotten in the flat earth period of the 70's when the only way to go was Linn/Naim/Linn.

 
M

murray johnson

Guest
I had a 301in a substantial plinth a few years ago. It was great fun and certainly had more oomph and stability than the typical suspended subchassis type turntables particularly with regard to the quality of the bass. However the treble could be a bit wild (due to the platter?) which could be altered a little by whichever mat was chosen.

I still think a good (properly made) DD ie Technics, Denon, Micro or Kenwood can better the Garrard in all respects though. However, in terms of what it would cost to buy a modern TT with the sound & build quality of a 301 or 401, these £1-2K prices are not that silly imho.

 

Forum statistics

Threads
109,316
Messages
2,317,831
Members
69,455
Latest member
oindnsh3