Wammer
Wammer
Aug 3, 2011
kilkenny, Ireland
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
the only reason i can see for putting the tweeters on the insides (as manufacturer recommended) is that their further from side wall reflections,,, anyone know why the inside position is preferable?

Pussycat

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
Norwich
AKA
Mike
The only reason I can see for putting the tweeters on the insides (as manufacturer recommended) is that they're further from side wall reflections. Anyone know why the inside position is preferable?
As the previous owner of Response 3s, 3.5s and 4s, I always assumed it was to assist imaging. I never tried them the other way round (as in these three the bass and mids were centrally positioned), but I rather feel that I wouldn't have liked it.

Besides, these work best with a little space to the sides (a foot at least), negating somewhat the idea of side wall reflection avoidance, I feel.

khapahk

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 27, 2008
Linslade, Beds
AKA
Bob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've a pair of Studio 140 mk1 which have the same tweeter configuration, plus two centrally aligned mid/bass units in each and use mine with the tweeters on the "inside". I did try them for a period with the tweeters on the "outside" but felt that the imaging suffered,

As Pussycat says above, they need some space to the sides so the reflection issue probably doesn't come into the equation.

Hope that helps,

k

michaelgb

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 3, 2011
kilkenny, Ireland
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks guys,, emailed proac and got reply,,, they basically saying tweeters on outside will give wider image,, however side walls can destroy imaging.

And that basically whatever gives most enjoyment to listener is right...

Currently have tweeters on outside as my side walls are not an issue and prefer them this way,, imaging is perfect to my ears.

peterbj

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 12, 2012
dorset
AKA
peter
personally I prefer them on the inside as I find soundstaging and imaging are better . I also have some curas with a similar configuration but the bass unit on the top and prefer the tweeters on the outside with these speakers , so I guess it is down to which you prefer

michaelgb

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 3, 2011
kilkenny, Ireland
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've a feeling that the whole mirrored idea is down to "diffraction benefits" (whatever that means) and to help with side walls......

Many here seem to prefer them on the inside,,, just wonder why they would sound better that way, all else being equal..

My tweeters form a good triangle from where I sit, and I measure from tweeters only.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles