Wammer
Wammer
Mar 14, 2013
Bristol
AKA
Dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well...I gave them some more time...and ended up ordering a pair! Although my bank account now hates me. 😬

They really got under my skin with further listening. Unlike the ATCs I had back on demo (and countless other speakers previously), the Proacs just made me want to listen more. There's a level of engagement, both emotionally and visceralously, that they stir up.

By comparison, I admired the ATCs. On paper, they make the most sense (for their control, detail, speed, neutrality, room friendly bass, value for money), but they never left me wanting to listen more. And they could sound a bit lacking in natural warmth, or uptight at times.

Previous Spendor Classic 3/1 (having too much bass aside), were lovely. Relaxing, tonally correct, forgiving, inpactful, detailed, coherant...but often lacked a bit of air or insight on darker recordings, and their forgiving, silky treble could make raunchier music too polite. But the overriding issue was too much bass in my room.

Yes, the Proacs are more revealing, and not always forgiving. But the other side of that, is that they give fantastic insight into intricate tracks, instruments or small details, which reels you in. Good recordings, particularly of an acoustic variety can sound stunning.

The goldilocks principle then comes in, by backing up their incisiveness, with a warm, respectfully tight and flowing bass, and clean and slightly relaxed midrange. So as an overall presentation, they're really addictive, and dare I say it, 'natural'.

Then other smaller considerations sealed the deal:

-Not aesthetically massive, and just about get past my girlfriend (the hifi shares our main bedroom! Against the wall when not in use)

- look lovely in Walnut finish. Classically handsome, especially with the grilles on.

- look good on the Solidsteel Ss6 stands and tweeters correct height for ears.

- front ported, and seem to react a lot less with room, compared to the Spendor Classic 3/1 of similar spec, albeit rear ported.

- They sound good with my Arcam SA30. But it's nice knowing that exploring Sugden, Croft or valves in the future (funds permitting) will be something to strive towards in future - I'm guessing that would increase the forgiving- ness too.

I guess it all comes down to compromise. All of the above speakers will sound best on certain tracks, or be most room friendly for a particular track. But taken as a whole, across the spectrum of music, I think the Proacs both excite and engage the most, while fitting in aesthetically.

Will post photos when they arrive.

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well...I gave them some more time...and ended up ordering a pair! Although my bank account now hates me. 😬

They really got under my skin with further listening. Unlike the ATCs I had back on demo (and countless other speakers previously), the Proacs just made me want to listen more. There's a level of engagement, both emotionally and visceralously, that they stir up.

By comparison, I admired the ATCs. On paper, they make the most sense (for their control, detail, speed, neutrality, room friendly bass, value for money), but they never left me wanting to listen more. And they could sound a bit lacking in natural warmth, or uptight at times.

Previous Spendor Classic 3/1 (having too much bass aside), were lovely. Relaxing, tonally correct, forgiving, inpactful, detailed, coherant...but often lacked a bit of air or insight on darker recordings, and their forgiving, silky treble could make raunchier music too polite. But the overriding issue was too much bass in my room.

Yes, the Proacs are more revealing, and not always forgiving. But the other side of that, is that they give fantastic insight into intricate tracks, instruments or small details, which reels you in. Good recordings, particularly of an acoustic variety can sound stunning.

The goldilocks principle then comes in, by backing up their incisiveness, with a warm, respectfully tight and flowing bass, and clean and slightly relaxed midrange. So as an overall presentation, they're really addictive, and dare I say it, 'natural'.

-Not aesthetically massive, and just about get past my girlfriend (the hifi shares our main bedroom! Against the wall when not in use)

- look lovely in Walnut finish. Classically handsome, especially with the grilles on.

- front ported, and seem to react a lot less with room, compared to the Spendor Classic 3/1 of similar spec, albeit rear ported.

- They sound good with my Arcam SA30. But it's nice knowing that exploring Sugden, Croft or valves in the future (funds permitting) will be something to strive towards in future - I'm guessing that would increase the forgiving- ness too.

I guess it all comes down to compromise. All of the above speakers will sound best on certain tracks, or be most room friendly for a particular track. But taken as a whole, across the spectrum of music, I think the Proacs both excite and engage the most, while fitting in aesthetically.

Good summary and a smart choice. I know you'll get lots of pleasure with them.

Reactions: dave6v

HouseElf

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Oct 16, 2016
Coppull
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Sounds like you have a great choice that ticks many boxes for you.

One great thing about Proac speakers is that they can take some pretty serious upgrades and not be outclassed by more expensive company.

Brown Bottle

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 27, 2005
The Hoo Peninsula
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Thanks!

How would you describe the sound of your DB1s?
The magic is in the mids with the DB1’s. I haven’t done that much critical listening yet but the midband is clear and smooth. Voices are fantastic and the soundstage is a massive improvement over my previous Studio 150. I like the tweeter a lot, it’s another step up over the 150, airier and more detailed. Obviously I’ve lost bass, but there’s tuneful bass now rather than one dimensional bass. It goes surprisingly low too, although my usual listening isn’t bass heavy. I’m not that good at describing sound but I like my music to flow, if that makes sense. They’re absolute keepers for me, unless I somehow find myself in a bigger room.

Cheers BB

Reactions: dave6v and HouseElf

HouseElf

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Oct 16, 2016
Coppull
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The magic is in the mids with the DB1’s. I haven’t done that much critical listening yet but the midband is clear and smooth. Voices are fantastic and the soundstage is a massive improvement over my previous Studio 150. I like the tweeter a lot, it’s another step up over the 150, airier and more detailed. Obviously I’ve lost bass, but there’s tuneful bass now rather than one dimensional bass. It goes surprisingly low too, although my usual listening isn’t bass heavy. I’m not that good at describing sound but I like my music to flow, if that makes sense. They’re absolute keepers for me, unless I somehow find myself in a bigger room.

Cheers BB
This totally echoes my thoughts on the DB1’s. They are a superb stand mount that sound bigger than they are and have a wonderfully coherent sound presention.

Reactions: dave6v

dave6v

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 14, 2013
Bristol
AKA
Dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Cheers BB
They sound like a keeper! Glad they're working out for you.

Bigwig07

Wammer
Wammer
May 28, 2016
Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Cheers BB

I've just got some DB1's too.

How have you set them up ? eg how far from the rear wall ?

And do they need much running in from new ?

Brown Bottle

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 27, 2005
The Hoo Peninsula
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I've just got some DB1's too.

How have you set them up ? eg how far from the rear wall ?

And do they need much running in from new ?
The front of mine are 2ft from the back wall, I will try them out a bit more. Mine were great out of the box but have opened up a bit more with running in. They are used a lot for non critical listening if we are working from home and a couple of hours TV per night, so I haven’t really kept track of hours.

Cheers BB

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Cheers BB
What amp. are you using?

Brown Bottle

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 27, 2005
The Hoo Peninsula
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
What amp. are you using?
I’m using a Rotel RA1570, which also houses my DAC, so I’ll need to buy another Amp with built in DAC or seperate them (most likely), when the time comes.

It sounds fine with the DB1s, I don’t dislike it but there’s a list of other amps I’d like to try. Won’t be happening until we move house or stay put and switch the room around.

Cheers BB

Reactions: HouseElf

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’m using a Rotel RA1570, which also houses my DAC, so I’ll need to buy another Amp with built in DAC or seperate them (most likely), when the time comes.

It sounds fine with the DB1s, I don’t dislike it but there’s a list of other amps I’d like to try. Won’t be happening until we move house or stay put and switch the room around.

Cheers BB
I see thanks. I think Sugden are common match with ProAcs. I would like to hear some, no dealers near me though.

Bigwig07

Wammer
Wammer
May 28, 2016
Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well I've trialed the supposedly classic combination of Sugden A21a Signature into Proac DB1.

I was a bit underwhelmed to start with, using the Sugden with the DB1's close to the wall. The bass was too much, and seemed to suck the life out of the music. So I've pulled the speakers out from the wall to about 75 cm, and changed the amp to a Primare i35. The Primare is more neutral balanced and has less bass weight than the Sugden (but still punchy).

Listening last night and this morning it sounds great - very transparent and clear but still with heart to the midrange. I'm used to LS3/5a's but the extra weight on cello's, piano's and violins with classical music is very nice.

Will try moving the speakers back in again because they can't stay there. What fun.

kneecap

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 26, 2011
stockport
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I'm looking for suggestions for a solid state amp for Proac Tablette 10 speakers. Budget is £500 - £1000. Considering Rega Elex r, Musical Fidelity M2si, Roksan Kandy 3 or Naim Nait 5si but open any other ideas..

Brown Bottle

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 27, 2005
The Hoo Peninsula
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Sugden and Proac are common bed fellows. 2nd hand Exposure 3010, there’s been a couple knocking about here and on Pinkfish.

Cheers BB

JAD

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 5, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm looking for suggestions for a solid state amp for Proac Tablette 10 speakers. Budget is £500 - £1000. Considering Rega Elex r, Musical Fidelity M2si, Roksan Kandy 3 or Naim Nait 5si but open any other ideas..
Hi, there is a Sugden A21a (not the series 2 version) in the classified. Been on for a while, last entry 20th Dec so might be sold. That would be a stonking combo. No connection with seller. Good luck with search. Cheers john

kneecap

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 26, 2011
stockport
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Hi, there is a Sugden A21a (not the series 2 version) in the classified. Been on for a while, last entry 20th Dec so might be sold. That would be a stonking combo. No connection with seller. Good luck with search. Cheers john

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles