Prophecy Audio lowther Horns

nick dartmoor

Super Wammer Plus
Wammer
Sep 19, 2009
Devon, UK
I was thinking it was a bit weird that they didn't have a website. I found another eBay listing from a couple of years ago, actually by the guy from Prophecy Audio, which stated that reason for selling the speakers was that they had lost their premises. So maybe the company no longer exists. His number was on the listing, anyway.

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'd like to hear those. They certainly look very interesting.
I "get" the symmetry of having identical bass units stacked that way with the horn in the middle, but ignoring the aesthetics (which even so are a little dubious given the huge and looming end result) is there really any sonic advantage in doing this vs having a single, maybe larger, bass unit under the horn? The same question has occurred to me re the various back-horn designs that use a single driver with two identical horns, one above and one below...do these really have any advantage over a design that just doubles the width of the back horn?

Parkandbike

Super Wammer
Wammer
May 29, 2007
Cambridge
AKA
Don
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Isn't this the D'Appolito configuration- (supposed to correct lobe tilting at the X-over frequency)?

I "get" the symmetry of having identical bass units stacked that way with the horn in the middle, but ignoring the aesthetics (which even so are a little dubious given the huge and looming end result) is there really any sonic advantage in doing this vs having a single, maybe larger, bass unit under the horn? The same question has occurred to me re the various back-horn designs that use a single driver with two identical horns, one above and one below...do these really have any advantage over a design that just doubles the width of the back horn?

nat8808

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 8, 2007
London
AKA
Nat
The hifi cabinet in the photo looks the same as the one in the TNT review. Either the seller bought the hand-made cabinet from the Prophecy Audio designer, had one made the same, or the seller IS John Richardson who bought them off his own company.

David Pinnegar

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 26, 2010
I haven't posted recently but people seem to know me as a Lowther fanatic - and to be frank, every time I'm impressed by other speakers I come back to Lowthers - with the proviso that they are appropriately specified with the right units - and think that there's nothing that beats them.

People who don't like Lowthers tend not to have heard the right units in the right cabinets. For direct radiation, then PM6 or DX/EX2 should be used. For situations requiring reflection off a wall behind, with the unit facing backwards to the wall, PM7 or DX/EX3 or 4 gives the extra treble, whilst DX/EX 4 are necessary to drive front horns. The pepperpot phase plugs are much too directional and the old bullets or the doorknob phaseplugs, with the whizzer cone rollback flipped forward so as to make a straight cone, give the cleanest and clearest possible sound.

For people unsure about the expense of Lowthers, there's an interesting trick that can be done with some speakers that can be picked up very economically. This is to buy a pair of eitherCelestion Ditton 15

Celestion Ditton 200 or

Wharfedale Laser 120 units. These all have 8 inch woofers and a tweeter and are quite low efficiency. The Ditton 15 has woofer, tweeter and auxiliary bass radiator whilst the other two have two 8 inch units, one serving bass and the other midrange. I take out the ABR of the Ditton 15, and move the bass unit to the bottom slot, or with the other two, take out the middle unit serving midrange - and then insert in its place a modified full range unit wired in parallel with the remaining speaker from the amplifier fed by a 100uF capacitor - or 47uF capacitor if heavy bass is expected.

The modification I carry out enlarges the secondary whizzer cone of the full range unit to the same finishing diameter and conical angle as the Lowther and it gives an amazing presence to instruments - and letting the low efficiency woofer and tweeter augment the ends of the spectrum. The result is good. But there's better.

A friend who's been playing with speakers from before I was born has designed a speaker that really does give ultimate sound.

The top horns are based upon a variation of the Lowther TP1 design in the form of the Prophecy Audio horns by John Richardson http://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/prophecy_horns_e.html . He only made four pairs and by chance I happen to have bought his prototype many years ago from my friend Michael Wallis. These horns bring the sound alive. They are performance speakers and the instruments are aurally in front of you rather than any awareness of mere reproduction. The problem with these horns is what to use below around 150Hz . . .

For my pair I've used a pair of Lowther Acoustas facing backwards into the corner of the room to extend the horn, together with in parallel, a pair of Tannoy DC2000s using just the bass units - feeding the Prophecy top horns with DX4s through a 100uF capacitor and the bass units through a 3.5uH coil.

Rather than the mass of the Prophecy bass units or seeing the back of my Acoustas, Michael who for years has mastered bass horns to match Voigts and others, has now solved the problem: . . .

index.php

index.php

and particularly without bass resonances.

Best wishes

David P

rock & roll

Wammer
New Wammer
Feb 9, 2016
just read the article on prophecy audio speakers , i own a pair i drive them with 2 power amps but no x over they did come with a passive marchand x over which i did not like also 4 months ago i bought a new pair of DX4 units i found these units a lot better then ex3 just wondering if there is any other tweaks that you can recommend has you know a lot about these type of speakers, thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles