Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Anyone buying the new Pulse blu-ray at £55 for two discs? What is it remastered from, video film?

I just saw it on the What Records site for £39.99.

Last edited:

DUVET

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 7, 2021
Middle
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have the original DVD . My 4k player upscales so I think I will pass.

PeteVid

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
South East London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Anyone buying the new Pulse blu-ray at £55 for two discs? What is it remastered from, video film?

I just saw it on the What Records site for £39.99.
It was originally shot on video tape in standard definition, so not like film where you can go back and re transfer the neg and find more definition and colour etc. It’s inherently 625 lines PAL.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I can't imagine the video quality will be any higher, though the original certainly isn't poor. On the other hand, the info suggests it's been re-edited and changed a little. At the discounts already around (it hasn't even been released yet), I'll probably get it to keep the collection complete.

macfan

LP12 Newbie
Wammer
Feb 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was fortunate to see the the "Pulse" tour several times in different cites here in he US. There have been several tours over the years I felt were outstanding including Genesis Mama Tour, Genesis Invisible Tour (in the US) and the U2 Popmart tour. I love all of these but nothing that came before or after will ever surpass Pulse. It is that good.

Now, as for the video I have the version that came in The Later Years box set but it only looks so good due the reason cited above. It was shot on video like so many concerts during the 90s. While there are ways to obtain increased resolution, and I have tried a few with the tools I have available, I feel the source is just not very good to begin with. Video cameras of the era where mostly SD (HD systems were starting to be experimented with and developed around this time) and were only sensitive to light and dark up to a point. Dark portions of the concert and murky and have macro blocking presenting the image. Also, the brightness is brought up in these sections so dark looks more like a dull grey film. If they would have shot this on Super 35 there would have been so many options with today's tech. Not sure why this was not chosen considering how epic and expensive this show was.

For a fan it is worth getting on Blu-Ray as the audio track is technically hi-res. They just do not make shows like this anymore.

Reactions: BarneysDad2 and TIU

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevedavid3