Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I bought another on of these some time ago now, primarily because I regretted selling my last one, it was really well priced and looked like it came out the Huntington factory the day before yesterday. This thing is mint.

Took it recently to my usual chap for a service, and we agreed to only replace what needed replacing. And guess what, nothing did..........

Screenshot 2023-05-01 175953.jpg

I calling that not bad :)

Last edited:

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
These amps will still be going when many of us are long gone ..
These are museum like , historical artefacts ,
Not the very best fidelity for sure , but I’ve heard systems with them , and they come very close to being jaw dropping for what they are ..

Reactions: Ian

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I grew up with the full Quad 33/303/FM3 driving Tannoy Berkeley’s in my late uncles front room ,and I agree with what Jeremy Sikora wrote in ecoustics.com last year called
“In sheeps clothing hi/fi
A head of their time . There was nothing looking like it or sounding like it .. Put Quad on the map .. but being the English gentleman that they were , they made it to last forever .. ideas changed and they needed something with more guts to eventually replace it … the 405 , they have become icons which ever the side of the pond you are ..
I have several…33/303/405s

Reactions: DomT and Ian

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The 303 remains more reliable too, unless you are prepared to discount the 405's reservoir caps which last about as long as UK prime ministers.
Quality British amps were properly built back then, one of the few things we can take pride in from that era, and so was quality Swiss, German, Italian, and French hifi.
Piry about the houses, cars, and white goods.
We need to get back to that ethos as fast as possible.

Reactions: bigrod and Ian

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The 303 remains more reliable too, unless you are prepared to discount the 405's reservoir caps which last about as long as UK prime ministers
My Brother was using 33/303 for some years .. when the caps needed replacing for the third time in 20 years he changed the amp to a Yamaha of recent vintage.

If anyone wants a 33/303 (the amp needs a recap) let me know and I will ask him what he wants for them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles