Quad 99 Pre input sensitivity settings on auxillary connection for me new phono stage

kernow

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2009
Devon
AKA
Shaun
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Hello .. longest title ever? maybe.

I've been reading a bit about this Puresound P10 and certain solid state pre-amps or whatever, and I don't seem to have any problems, hell I don't even get any hum when I plugged it in using very crap unshielded interconnects :D .. anyway.

My main question is relating to the switchable input sensitivity on my preamp for the aux connections, much like the phono part I have three different settings and I'm unsure if I should just leave it on default, or put it on the 1 setting.

quadsens.jpg

On 775, far too quiet, 300 is the default, 100 is a bit louder. I'm not sure at the moment but I think I prefer the sound of it on 100. I'm just asking if this is related to the posts people have made relating to the P10 having mixed results with it's output voltage or something I can't remember.

While I'm here, does anyone know which settings I should be using for the switches on the back of the step up?

2f9db272-2b6d-45e0-a44f-c77185ce5c23.jpg

I have a Benz Micro Gold which is a low output MC, and has the following spec, I've just set both the switches to 'low' at the moment as I figured it's a good guess! :)

Benz MC Gold SpecificationsOutput: .5mV

Stylus: .3x.7mil

Impedance: 20 ohms

Loading range: >200 ohms

Weight: 5.7g

Compliance: 15cu

Tracking force: 1.7-1.9g

Cheers for any help and suggestions.

kernow

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2009
Devon
AKA
Shaun
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
:D I think I'll leave it on default for the pre-amp to begin with and try the settings on the back of the step-up first, and then go from there.

kernow

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2009
Devon
AKA
Shaun
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I thought someone had an answer

what a fool I was. Left it on default now anyway and playing with switches on sut.

pure sound

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 10, 2011
West Devon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Shaun, your Inbox is full so here's the pm I tried to send.

You're right about the P10 earth Isolate Switch. In some installations it makes no difference to hum levels in others its an obvious fix. It depends how the other stuff is earthed.

Re the T10 there should be 2 switches marked HIGH & LOW. These actually indicate the Ratio of step-up. The Benz will likely work better with the switches set to LOW. This presents the cartridge with a load of 150 Ohms which it will be fine with and a step up ratio of about 1:18 which will give a healthy output for the P10 to work with.

I have of course got manuals for both. PM me an email address & I'll send them to you.

kernow

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2009
Devon
AKA
Shaun
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
:^ thanks guy. Will clear me inbox and send you a pm. Cheers

- - - Updated - - -

Could you bring them both to the next bake off?Only managed one at a time but not both together at the last one. :^
Im still borrowing the t10 from Jon but tbh not planning on giving it back :D

but yeah of course.

pure sound

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 10, 2011
West Devon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Forgot to mention that you should usually run a wire between the T10's earth post and the P10's. One is supplied but I don't know if you have it. Also, screened cables are usually quieter between T10 & P10 and P10 & amp. A simple but effective recommendation are the Hitachi LC-OFC ones which are well made but not so easy to find now. Breckland Audio do have a stock of them. Give him a ring if you don't find something suitable.

http://www.brecklandaudio.co.uk/index.htm

kernow

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2009
Devon
AKA
Shaun
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I don't have that earth cable but I guess I could use any old cable really right? Might make up one with an eyelet both ends.

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Forgot to mention that you should usually run a wire between the T10's earth post and the P10's. One is supplied but I don't know if you have it. Also, screened cables are usually quieter between T10 & P10 and P10 & amp. A simple but effective recommendation are the Hitachi LC-OFC ones which are well made but not so easy to find now. Breckland Audio do have a stock of them. Give him a ring if you don't find something suitable.http://www.brecklandaudio.co.uk/index.htm
I've been thinking about whether to get a T10 and a Benz Micro cartridge for my P10, and if I did, I was wondering what sort of cable to use between the T10 and P10. I use an Audio Origami cable for my SME V arm and I had been thinking of getting one of those with RCA connectors at each end - it uses Van Damme microphone cable I believe. Do you think the Hitachi LC-OFC would be better than that, and better than a normal RCA cable like a Cardas or Siltech that I use to connect my amp to CD player or phono amp?

atomheartmother

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 13, 2012
exeter
AKA
john
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
i never bothered with the earth shaun i never got one when i bought it i can knock you one up im in exmouth in the week if you really want

kernow

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2009
Devon
AKA
Shaun
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Awesome :^ I don't have one right now just turntable arm earth going to t10. Noticed a bit of hum since this morning but its not drastic. My shielded interconnects should be here this week too.

pure sound

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 10, 2011
West Devon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I just supply a meter of wire tinned at both ends. It doesn't have to be anything fancy or even be terminated.

Re the Hitachi cable. It's just well made & properly screened and does nothing to alter the balance of what's passed via it. I think BA sell them for £20 each. I don't really know whether Cardas or Siltech would offer a significant improvement but they do cost a good deal more. I do like the AN silver cable which 'does nice things' to the signal but it costs & not everyone might like what it does.

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I just supply a meter of wire tinned at both ends. It doesn't have to be anything fancy or even be terminated.Re the Hitachi cable. It's just well made & properly screened and does nothing to alter the balance of what's passed via it. I think BA sell them for £20 each. I don't really know whether Cardas or Siltech would offer a significant improvement but they do cost a good deal more. I do like the AN silver cable which 'does nice things' to the signal but it costs & not everyone might like what it does.
Oh OK thanks for that. Wondering what cable to get has been my main reason for hesitating about getting a T10/Benz Micro as opposed to getting an Ortofon 2m Black. I find my current Ortofon 2m Blue really unforgiving with record defects although it sounds great apart from that. So I didn't want to upgrade to an Ortofon 2M Black if it was no better at handling record defects. I used to own a Benz Micro Glider and that was much more forgiving. I shall make an enquiry about getting these Hitachi cables as they sound like a bargain.

kernow

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2009
Devon
AKA
Shaun
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I've noticed this benz is pretty forgiving actually. :^ very little noise unless the records shagged.

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've noticed this benz is pretty forgiving actually. :^ very little noise unless the records shagged.
Yes, my Benz Glider was the best cartridge I've ever owned. Forgiving, and yet with an amazing rich sound. I would much prefer it if the T10 had either a captive cable or a cable like this Hitachi bundled with it. Because otherwise I just don't have a clue about what cable to buy or how much to spend. And I would much rather go back to having a Benz Micro cartridge rather than an over fussy Ortofon 2M Black.

kernow

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2009
Devon
AKA
Shaun
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
If its any help I spent £10 each on cables between step up and phono, and phono and pre. I try not to worry too much about that stuff :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles