Wammer
Wammer
Mar 13, 2010
Central Scotland
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Loving my recently acquired ESL63 after many years with Martin Logan SL3.

Tried the Kora Jupiter valve power amp (wonderful and best of many amps tried with SL3’s) but didn’t match quite so well with ESL63.
Also tried an upgraded QUAD 306 and was totally underwhelmed so not feeling great about Quad options tbh.

Best so far (very surprisingly, and please don’t scoff!) is analogue source into my Arcam AVR600 home cinema amp (class G). I tried this expecting nothing and ended up very, very impressed - blew the Kora and Quad away.

However, I still think there’s more to come from the ESL63’s and I still yearn for tubes and that musicality that only they can bring.

What are your recommendations on integrated or pre+power up to £2k used.

As an aside, my subwoofer handles everything south of 80Hz, so releasing some headroom for potential options.

Last edited by a moderator:

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Advice given to me by Andrew at A Quadthing who certainy knows much more about Quad speakers that I ever will is the the 63 (and converted 57) like lots of power even if they do not go too loud. Given this if you really want to stick with Valve then you need to find a really decent push / pull design that will offer plenty of grunt . EAR 509 comes to mind if you can find a pair you should be able to get them just within that budget .

However given your real life experience with your Arcam (which is quite powerful) I would probably look at some decent quality Class D amps like Nord and the like which offer a decent amount of power for not a huge outlay .

While I kinow you say you are not that impressed with Quad a 306 is not really the amp to judge them on , on e-bay Bartletshifi offer items and about two weeks ago they had a pair of latest Quad Monobloc units on offer for about £1500 which is a good deal and these would I think make the 63's sing . As they were new with Warranty you might be able to get them to offer a try before you buy . Thye are not showing these now but probably worth dropping them an e-mail to see if they still have any .

Reactions: uzzy and malcesine

Nearly bewildered

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Nov 27, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Loving my recently acquired ESL63 after many years with Martin Logan SL3.

Tried the Kora Jupiter valve power amp (wonderful and best of many amps tried with SL3’s) but didn’t match quite so well with ESL63.
Also tried an upgraded QUAD 306 and was totally underwhelmed so not feeling great about Quad options tbh.

Best so far (very surprisingly, and please don’t scoff!) is analogue source into my Arcam AVR600 home cinema amp (class G). I tried this expecting nothing and ended up very, very impressed - blew the Kora and Quad away.

However, I still think there’s more to come from the ESL63’s and I still yearn for tubes and that musicality that only they can bring.

What are your recommendations on integrated or pre+power up to £2k used.

As an aside, my subwoofer handles everything south of 80Hz, so releasing some headroom for potential options.
Not surprised.. My pre amp of choice is a musical fidelity htp processor in two channel mode..its excellent.. I always thought a little coloured?  But then i tried my bantam stealth power amp through it..and completely neutral..brilliant pre amp..who modded the quad?  My mate has just bought a Bryston pre amp and it sounds very good..

Reactions: malcesine

malcesine

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 13, 2010
Central Scotland
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks all....the Croft’s for pre+power always intrigued me but wondered about having enough power for ESL’s.

Quad tubes monos also interesting, assuming enough grunt - researching now.

I had a Lyngdorf class D which was also a brilliant all rounder.

Any other tube based options / thoughts?

oldius

Staff member
Dec 30, 2008
Liverpool
AKA
Geoff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Thanks all....the Croft’s for pre+power always intrigued me but wondered about having enough power for ESL’s.

Quad tubes monos also interesting, assuming enough grunt - researching now.

I had a Lyngdorf class D which was also a brilliant all rounder.

Any other tube based options / thoughts?
My experience of Croft is that they do not do well at all with difficult loads.

wizmax

"Inestimable" Reel to Reel expert
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2010
Hayling Island
AKA
Robin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I used Ming DA MC845s with all of my Quads, 57s'. 63s', 988s, 989s and currently 2905s, and they all sang. Someone on here said that 18 watts per channel were not enough but I did try a pair of 150 watt Quad Elites and did not think they did a better job of driving the ESLs. 

malcesine

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 13, 2010
Central Scotland
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ok, so Croft power amp out...

wizmax the low power single ended Ming Da is very intriguing and a surprise recommendation, any reliability concerns? How was the bass?

What did you settle on in the end?

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well before you go saying that Croft is not a good choice I am currently using a Croft 4s that is on loan with my ESL57 and it sounds really nice and goes more than loud enough for the Quads to give in before the Croft.

I have also bought a Croft OTL Power Amplifier just after the last Wam Show which I have not been able to collect yet (dont ask) and this is likely to be be my best amplifier for the Quad system . I have had an e-mail exchnage with Glen Croft over this amp as I may well decide to get it serviced / upgraded by him when i get it. Glenn has Quad ESL57 and uses the OTL with them himself and says they are a great musical and physical match for each other.

Now I do know that you are using EL63 which are different but it is worth thinking about and getting a listen to one before you make your choice.

Not sure if this is in budget for what you had in mind but this looks like a very good match with that extra power for the 63

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GLEN-CROFT-OTL-2-amplifiers/274356161659?hash=item3fe0e6cc7b:g:Ti0AAOSwOK5esFpo

It Cost How Much!?!

Twisted
Wammer
Oct 27, 2008
Hartford, Cheshire
AKA
Bob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

malcesine

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 13, 2010
Central Scotland
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
How about this. 
Thanks, I have been looking at that one..

I was also looking at the Audio Innovations 500 that was in classifieds too (I might also be able to get an old AI 800 locally = not sure if the 800 is a better match v 500 or not?)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles