Wammer
Wammer
Nov 25, 2009
Wirral & London,
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Do the Quads comes with the overload protection circuit (clamps) to prevent modern ( solid state ) amps from frying the treble panels? If not I suggest you add them pronto.

Arcing a panel is the bane of ESLs. If it happens you will see a spark especially if you turn the lights down. This means the panel now has a hole in it and will need to be replaced/repaired, not cheap and not really a DIY job unless you are very hardcore.

Electrostatic panels do age even if not used. The adhesive that bonds the material that holds charge onto the mylar panels does weaken over time, in fact some poeple just rub graphite on directly and this can wear off.

A 1970s LP12 will be very euphonic and if you like the sound then any upgrades will make it more accurate but not necessarily sound as good. The Hercules board is a good replacement power supply if you need it and gives easy change from 33 to 45 without a manual adapter.

Replace the cartridge if you have no idea what it is and no idea about the state. A Goldring 1024 or similar will do. Do you trust your vinyl to a stylus of dubious history?

The flat belt and crowned pulley were something Linn actually did well. Far better than the stupid round belt on the Michell and Transcriptors decks which were only used as they allowed easy changing of the speed originally by moving the belt onto another width pulley. I cannot comment on other source of the belt but Linn's belts are pricey given what they are but then it is hard to machine a decent flat belt. Much easier and cheaper to do a round profile.

Sounds like you have the making of an interesting system. Enjoy it.

Bobulous91

New Wammer
Sep 14, 2019
10 hours ago, uzzy said:

I worked in the trade in the 70s - anyone with a dab hand at using a screwdriver and spanner - and understands what they want to achieve can do the set up .  We had no special teaching or training but I guess we were used to setting up Thorens TD150s and often had to tweek so we got experience.

In this wonderful digital age there is You Tube - where you can get a host of videos showing you exactly what needs to be done and how to do it.

I would recommend watching the videos if you are unsure of what to do and then decide "can I do that?" and if you can then no need to take it anywhere.  If you cannot then yes take it to a recommended person to set it up for you.

To set the levels yourself you will need a couple of small spirit levels (one for each side of the platter to ensure it is balanced because the weight of one will place weight on one side and tip the scales so to speak) or if you can find one get a turntable spirit level with two levels built into a plastic holder that slots over the spindle (I purchased in WH Smiths in the 70s - we were more enlightened then lol).   With two spirit levels first do them top and bottom of the turntable parallel with the front to ensure it is all level then do the same with them parallel to the sides of the plinth to ensure it is level in that plane too.

Check out You Tube for Linn Set up videos (here is the first of a six video set )

thank you very much for the info, good advice and a blast from the past with that turntable spirit level, i never would have guessed WHS sold those. I agree that £200 would be much better spent towards a new cartridge, as Im not sure how replaceable the stylus is on the current one.

Reactions: uzzy

Bobulous91

New Wammer
Sep 14, 2019
Do the Quads comes with the overload protection circuit (clamps) to prevent modern ( solid state ) amps from frying the treble panels? If not I suggest you add them pronto.

Arcing a panel is the bane of ESLs. If it happens you will see a spark especially if you turn the lights down. This means the panel now has a hole in it and will need to be replaced/repaired, not cheap and not really a DIY job unless you are very hardcore.

Electrostatic panels do age even if not used. The adhesive that bonds the material that holds charge onto the mylar panels does weaken over time, in fact some poeple just rub graphite on directly and this can wear off.

A 1970s LP12 will be very euphonic and if you like the sound then any upgrades will make it more accurate but not necessarily sound as good. The Hercules board is a good replacement power supply if you need it and gives easy change from 33 to 45 without a manual adapter.

Replace the cartridge if you have no idea what it is and no idea about the state. A Goldring 1024 or similar will do. Do you trust your vinyl to a stylus of dubious history?

The flat belt and crowned pulley were something Linn actually did well. Far better than the stupid round belt on the Michell and Transcriptors decks which were only used as they allowed easy changing of the speed originally by moving the belt onto another width pulley. I cannot comment on other source of the belt but Linn's belts are pricey given what they are but then it is hard to machine a decent flat belt. Much easier and cheaper to do a round profile.

Sounds like you have the making of an interesting system. Enjoy it.
Thank you very much for the advice on the quads, I think the clamps were installed in the last service but its something I will definitely now check. Ill see how the quads sound, since it was a professional service and the worst case is that they just need another service as usual.

I want to preserve as much of the LP12 as possible, also the upgrades are so exensive I cant really justify them at this time but Ill keep the Hercules in mind if I ever need to replace the board, since this is something that might have to happen. I was tempted to buy a knock off belt but now that you mention the difficulties in machining a flat belt I dont think I will, not too much more expensive to get the real thing thats been done the reputable standards.

Thanks for all you advice!

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I want to preserve as much of the LP12 as possible, also the upgrades are so exensive I cant really justify them at this time but Ill keep the Hercules in mind if I ever need to replace the board, since this is something that might have to happen. I was tempted to buy a knock off belt but now that you mention the difficulties in machining a flat belt I dont think I will, not too much more expensive to get the real thing thats been done the reputable standards.
If you want speed change rather than go down the hercules or valhalla or lingo route IMO go for the Heed or other such add on.  I use a Project Speedbox Strobo .. also the Project Speed Box DS https://www.project-audio.com/en/product/speed-box-ds/ .. you just plug your original Linn into the rear plug socket and do speed change from the box.  I got a DS second hand for about £100 as a spare so keep your eyes peeled on eBay.   The Heed seems really good and the company does not seem to introduce then stop making models all the time as Project do.  Although to my ears I could not detect any difference in sound quality (ducks quick from the bricks lobbed by those who think differently).  If you do not play 45s then put speed change boxes or boards on the back burner until you have perhaps upgraded the arm and cartridge.  

Have fun and enjoy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.