QUALITY SPEAKER CABLE FOR SURROUND VAN DAMME ??

hifinut

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 17, 2006
Ramsgate Southeast K
AKA
Paul
Im adding a DSP800 yam to my system and need some cable for centre and rears BUT want quality recomended DO NOT MENTION QED
52_52.gif.e7819fa8e7d4f2f3fde0ccbe63a52c2a.gif
:td:thanks.

Imthinking aboutsome van damme or simlar if anyone can recomend a good type must give clean highs and good bass no siblience or muffled basslike QED etc,otherwise I goner get some pure silver and make my own:cool:

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you want van damme speaker cable go on eBay and search for 'van damme speaker'.

There are people selling 2.5mm, 4mm and 6mm in any lengths, terminated or bare ended.

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What do you use now?

What do you like/dislike about it?

What changes/improvements are you looking for?

What i/c's are you using?

What is your budget?

hifinut

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 17, 2006
Ramsgate Southeast K
AKA
Paul
Im adding the DSP800 to my hifi my kit at the mo is very expensive butI want to add rear and centre just for movies all I needed was some idea what van dame sounds like or other recomendationsmayby Iv done this thread wrong ??

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you are happy with what you have in your hifi system, why not use some more of the same?

Van Damme comes with lots of recommendations from people on this board and is relatively cheap. You can always upgrade later if it doesn't work for you.

I didn't get on with QED SA either although I have heard good things about some of their other cables.

I don't think you have done anything wrong on this thread hifinut, it is just a difficult subject in some ways as there have been enough cable debates on here that the subject could support a board of it's own!

hifinut

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 17, 2006
Ramsgate Southeast K
AKA
Paul
Trouble is my Mithril silver cable would cast a fortune and then only be justyfied if I had highend cinema speakers the idea is not to spend too much cos if I dont like it can easy revert back to 2 channel for films again..

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Didn't realise that you had silver cables already!

I will probably get flamed for this but I would have thought that Van Damme or something relatively cheap would be fine, especially if this AV thing is a sort of trial. How much concentration do you really give to the sound when you have pictures to watch?

Nick

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 23, 2005
Edinburgh, , United
Witha dsp800 I wouldnt go mad. We use Black Rhodium t50 to good effect in a lot of systems as it is very small and works well in a movie set up. If you are ok with bigger cables Merlin CR4 andCR6 works well.

hifinut

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 17, 2006
Ramsgate Southeast K
AKA
Paul
Tel wrote:

Didn't realise that you had silver cables already!I will probably get flamed for this but I would have thought that Van Damme or something relatively cheap would be fine, especially if this AV thing is a sort of trial. How much concentration do you really give to the sound when you have pictures to watch?
Well the reason Im after somthing that images well I hate siblience and the demo of the DSP800 amp yesterday sounded horrid well it was wiredQED all round :sick:also cheapo ic's.

But though my hifi 2 channel the sound is so smooth in the soundfield created no harshness at all just good quality and bass like theres a sub hidden yet not,which is whyI wonderdabout adding the extra speakers to see weather it's worth it ? or not:dunno:

MarkP

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 24, 2006
UK
Hifinut,

I use 2.5mm2 Van Damme blue in my 5.1 cinema setup. I used to use SA with Kef eggs, and was constantly irritated by a lack of clarity of speech through the centre channel - I had to have it turned up loud to be sure to hear what was being said.

In my new setup (different room), I have changed centre speaker, so it's not a like for like - I'm using a Mission C77. However, with the Mission/VD combination, the speech is a revelation. Much clearer even with lots going on on the Lerft/Rights.

I'd happily give this cable a recommendation, particularly for the centre and rear application you are looking at.

Cheers,

MarkP

hifinut

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 17, 2006
Ramsgate Southeast K
AKA
Paul
For the mo got it setup with 75 strand type shite but sounds fine ?? need quite a bit of cable for rears 10 meters per side so maybe expensive if I went mad anyhow:cs:

I have got some pure silver frome wires.co.uk so may use this instead for centre but OTT for rears.

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
MarkP wrote:

Hifinut,I use 2.5mm2 Van Damme blue in my 5.1 cinema setup. I used to use SA with Kef eggs, and was constantly irritated by a lack of clarity of speech through the centre channel - I had to have it turned up loud to be sure to hear what was being said.

In my new setup (different room), I have changed centre speaker, so it's not a like for like - I'm using a Mission C77. However, with the Mission/VD combination, the speech is a revelation. Much clearer even with lots going on on the Lerft/Rights.

I'd happily give this cable a recommendation, particularly for the centre and rear application you are looking at.

Cheers,

MarkP
Hey Mark, the last couple of nights I have been setting up a 5.1 system in the kids room : Pioneer 717 - Sony QS 925 AVR - Tannoy Revolution R1 Fronts - Tannoy Rev Centre - Castle Cliftons Rears - Kef Sub. All Van Dammed 2x2.5mm2 on the Fronts and Centre, 2x1.5mm2 on the rears, JHC what a hoot for films & 5.1 DVD-V music sounded not that bad. So I'll give a Tannoy/VD combination a thumbs up too.

liamjf

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 27, 2005
Eastbourne
AKA
Liam
I wouldn't bother with the DSP800, it's really old now. Any recent (and I mean last 3 or 4 years!) Denon, Marantz, Yam etc. full AV amp would probably sound much better and can be had for peanuts.

Liam.

hifinut

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 17, 2006
Ramsgate Southeast K
AKA
Paul
Yes maybe but what about my hifi all the newer kit dont seem to have an output to run my hifi seperately just using front speakers when needed for cinema via a pair of phonos to my dac/pre which has a bypass specificly for that very purpose.

Otherwise Id be spending on more speakers and have more boxes and hasstle got the DSP 800 for £70 mint cond also some Kef DS65 rears for £75 they used to cost £400 new so hardly cost much to get full digital surround that adds to my movie experience.
biggrin.png

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
hifinut wrote:

Yes maybe but what about my hifi all the newer kit dont seem to have an output to run my hifi seperately just using front speakers when needed for cinema via a pair of phonos to my dac/pre which has a bypass specificly for that very purpose.Otherwise Id be spending on more speakers and have more boxes and hasstle got the DSP 800 for £70 mint cond also some Kef DS65 rears for £75 they used to cost £400 new so hardly cost much to get full digital surround that adds to my movie experience.
biggrin.png
Actually Liam I reckon is spot on Hifinur (even though your happy with the E800) you can get better processors (more up to date) and equipped with pre-outs for fronts for under a £100.

There are some stunning bargains to be had with AV amps and AV speakers though, I picked up the Tannoy R1s & Rev Centre for £110, added to the £60 Sony QS amp and its hello 5.1 !!! (In my defence Mark I am running 2 stereo rigs in the house in addition to the 5.1 rig) !!

hifinut

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 17, 2006
Ramsgate Southeast K
AKA
Paul
Well you gotter start somwhere and I dont wish to get sommat new yet as the formats are still not 100% decided tyipical to buy then they bring out newer kit or plug type.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online