rad1

rad
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’m still an owner of a non-upgraded Katalyst KDSM. I’ve been pondering getting the Organik upgrade for a while (and now presumably also the Utopik if/when available) or possibly even biting the bullet and trading in for a KDSM/3.

The recent Selekt news has however got me wondering.

For those of you like me, with a Kat DS/DSM, also considering your next step, would you now think about auditioning the top spec Selekt as an option?

My current setup includes 4 Solos in a passive bi-amp arrangement. I’d always intended to stay all-Klimax, but now I might consider otherwise. I was wondering what others were contemplating.

hashluck

Wammer
Jan 9, 2022
United Kingdom
www.rlaliquemascots.com
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Linn themselves are saying that Select Edition with dual mono Organik surpasses the performance of previous gen KDSM w/Katalyst.
From that you assume Linn think previous gen KDSM w/Organik will surpass Selekt Edition w/Organik.
They HAVE to assure everyone that new gen KDSM/3 surpasses Selekt Edition whether as simply an Exakt System Hub or w/Organik. Anything otherwise would be a bad thing.
Both cases make for an interesting demo propostion though and whether you think the extra money spent on Klimax worth it would be a very personal choice (and the financial gap is closing so I suspect the performance gap is also).
Seems like Selekt aims at flexible one-box performance and Klimax for ultimate performance with box per purpose. Selekt as a System Hub I would probably pay the extra for Klimax as it is not that much more to be sure you have the best (but maybe that is only true when it gets Utopik) - oh blimey can of worms right there.

Last edited:

HIGHWAY61

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
But, is not the function of a dealer to sell you the most expensive kit he can convince you to buy ? How else do they pay the rent ?

Reactions: Imseti and MickC

MickC

Expert Thread Disruptor
Wammer
Oct 8, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've been told by my dealer that the KDSM upgraded to Organik will be blown out of the water by a dual mono SDSM. Well, it better be at that price point (20 grand)
I’d take that with a pinch of salt, in fairness. I’d certainly want to hear for myself. Maybe your dealer would rather sell you a £20k box than a £5.4k upgrade (if you already have a KDS(M))?

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’d take that with a pinch of salt, in fairness. I’d certainly want to hear for myself. Maybe your dealer would rather sell you a £20k box than a £5.4k upgrade (if you already have a KDS(M))?
Also, bear in mind that the Selekt will be powered by Utopik, whilst the Klimax will still be Dynamik.

’troll

rad1

rad
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've been told by my dealer that the KDSM upgraded to Organik will be blown out of the water by a dual mono SDSM. Well, it better be at that price point (20 grand)
That is not what Linn are saying if I recall correctly. They say the top spec Organik Selekt outperforms the Katalyst legacy KDSM, but they are silent regarding the Organik upgraded legacy KDSM.

lldd

New Wammer
Jun 5, 2022
Seattle, WA
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Recently upgraded my Klimax Katalyst DSM to Organik. At this level of sound quality, I'm completely unconcerned that Selekt with all the bells and whistles might be able to tease out bit more. The move from Klimax Katalyst to Klimax Organik, to my ears, was a bigger step than moving from Akurate Katalyst to Klimax Katalyst. And to my eye, the old style DSM is better looking than the new one. All subjective impressions, for sure.

Last edited:

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Recently upgraded my Klimax Katalyst DSM to Organik. At this level of sound quality, I'm completely unconcerned that Selekt with all the bells and whistles might be able to tease out bit more. The move from Klimax Katalyst to Klimax Organik, to my ears, was a bigger step than moving from Akurate Katalyst to Klimax Katalyst. And to my eye, the old style DSM is better looking than the new one. All subjective impressions, for sure.
and a refreshingly healthy attitude about all this. I don't think there's any danger of Selekt outperforming your Klimax DSM Organik, not that you would care. :)

Craigas

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
But...I am very concerned about my upgrade path with my Kat exakt Akodoriks streaming from my non kat/org exakt KDSM.

Must I upgrade my KDSM to Organik, sell Akodoriks, buy new amp and speakers. Feeling a bit betrayed ....

Reactions: akamatsu

Craigas

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
But...I am very concerned about my upgrade path with my Kat exakt Akodoriks streaming from my non kat/org exakt KDSM.

Must I upgrade my KDSM to Organik, sell Akodoriks, buy new amp and speakers. Feeling a bit betrayed ....
Craigas, it's an opportunity to go to those Sonus fabers you have been eyeing, and you get to choose that power amp, back to tube maybe?

Jail4CEOs2

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
AKA
LG G2 65 OLED
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes

While eye wateringly expensive, two Kat Exaktboxes and you will be just fine. Please reach out to me if you want to sell the Akudoriks.

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Craigas, it's an opportunity to go to those Sonus fabers you have been eyeing, and you get to choose that power amp, back to tube maybe?
Craigas, this is your conscience speaking:

“You know the wife will not approve a speaker upgrade, and your system already sounds great. You wouldn’t be able to hide the smell of hot tubes in a tube preamp, and it doesn’t fit in with her interior design motif.”

”You can upgrade your Akudoriks to Organik someday, when it becomes available, and you can upgrade the power supplies on your Klimax Hub, and Akudoriks to Utopik in the future” 😊

Reactions: Craigas

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles