quick voltage question

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Cambs, , United King
does this look to you folks like the transformer auto-selects between 230V and 100V if the grey wire is connected?

I would check out underneath to see if there is a 230V input, but some nobba has fecked the screwhead beyond repair, so I can't remove the PCB
wub.png

Picture075.jpg

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Cambs, , United King
badoing! Anyone? Pleease give me an answer
wink.png
its so tempting to try plugging it in, but I suspect that if I'm wrong, feeding 240V into a 100V machine is not going to be a good thing!
biggrin.png

Ant

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2005
Hythe, Kent
AKA
Antony
All that Jap crap and you haven't got a step down?

I honestly cannot say from looking at it. A variac or step down is the answer.

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Cambs, , United King
lol - I mostly use 240V models, only had a 100V once, and gave the (rather shite) transformer to MiB when he bought the Victor. Being a Kenwood/Kensonic/Accuphase design I'm fairly certain that it should be able to take 230V, its whether I need to do some rejigging to do so - If I could get the PCB out it would make it easier
sad.png

I do have a transformer on the way, its just annoying that the cdp arrived first and I want to play
biggrin.png

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Cambs, , United King
can't really expect to plug it straight in I guess, would be unusual for it to be 100/230V auto tbh. Shame, because it looks so bloody cool under the bonnet - has PCB's marked poweramp left and poweramp right - I was expecting a cd player
biggrin.png

maybe the transformer will arrive tomorrow
pray.gif.84955f3b1709939cd9186fd2e3d88a8e.gif

Strider

Nothing to see here
Wammer Plus
Jan 16, 2006
somewhere or other
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hard to tell, surely one pair of wires is the primary and the other pair is the secondary?

There is probably either another step down transformer for the lower voltage. I would say that the transformerhas an operating voltage in between 280V and 100V on the primary side. Sitching will take place at relay stage on the secondary side.

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Cambs, , United King
Picture076.jpg

if I can't listen to it, I'll just have to admire how nicely its all laid out, boards on the front-right are power supply to the mechanism (seperate sections for sled, focus assembly and lid), up top is the output 'power' amp, I'm guessing top-left is the DAC section with some very hefty Elna caps

Picture077.jpg

Strider

Nothing to see here
Wammer Plus
Jan 16, 2006
somewhere or other
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Very nice:love:

I would straighten up some of those caps and trannies though Biscuit, then it will be puuuuuurfect!
14-00000002.gif.828495f168ee75f09f640fa4f13bd3a2.gif

felix

Wammer
Wammer
May 5, 2006
Baff
AKA
Martin
Sorry Biscuit, but you'll need to get the board out and check underneath to be sure. UK '230v' (usually 240 still) into a 100v input will be spectacular, and not in a good way.

Transformer tap switching is always done on the primary side BTW - more economical transformer design and less waste heat that way.

As has been said, the easiest/safest solution is probably to use a step-down transformer. Even Maplin do a suitable one; a Cd player won't draw much current and something rated for 100w will be suitable overkill. HTH.

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Cambs, , United King
I am definately waiting for the step down - infact it arrived at my Dad's work today, but he is ill so I won't have it for a little while now. Got a nice overspec 300W 100V specific version. Would have liked to have got the board out - and spent about 2 hours trying to revive the screw, but to no avail
sad.png

felix

Wammer
Wammer
May 5, 2006
Baff
AKA
Martin
If the screw is the typical mangled Philips-head, then see if you can get a Dremel cut-off wheel on it, or a needle file - cut a slot across, then use a straight screwdriver to remove.

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Cambs, , United King
I will try to get the screw out by more drastic means eventually, maybe next weekend. Unfortunately its in a very tricky position up against the side of the case, so it will be difficult.

hifinut

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 17, 2006
Ramsgate Southeast K
AKA
Paul
Be very carefull Iv had many bikes andvarious projectsand a had fair share of rounded off rusted screws bolts some never got sorted in the end and I have welded the stud on a car recently tried drilling it and removing the sticking out bit to no avail so welded the bugger saved the agro.

Drilling ideally needs to be done with tiny to start sharp proper drills not the cheap market jobbies I once had a drill bend litterally at a right angle:shocked:it must have been so soft or asI call them "CHOCOLATE TOOLS" Id not have belived it if it haddnt happened to me.

Anyhow the ideal thing too is if you can use a piller drill or the piller attachment to dremel if you have one and can get in makes sence to drill straght.

Very nice inside it's filled with Elna caps which are very good these sound superb andI upgraded my amps with them and cd transport had the fitted by last owner too.
party4.gif.af93715a971cd102256f35cade2c9c1e.gif

TIGGS

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 23, 2006
, , United Kingdom
Hi, a better way to remove the damaged screw would be to obtain a screw remover, which you can obtain from most classic car tool suppliers, or places like machine mart and screwfix direct, they will however cost you around about £10-£20, but they will fit into a normal corded/cordless drill and are a great tool to have. here is a link to something that would do the job for you: www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=060220180 , hope this helps you sort out the problem.

dean

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bugsaint