"Final" tonearm

stefanher

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 17, 2006
Lincs, , United King
AKA
Stefan
As I know of no dealer (tell me I'm wrong) who is in a position to allow punters to compare tonearms can somebody help me with an upgrade? If I had £2500 to spend including trade in on my Origin Illustrious which arm should I go for? Obvious candidates are the SME V, the Graham, Origin Conqueror or maybe even the arm the Cartridge man makes (even he won't tell me where I can audition it). I'd like something that suits all music as I listen to everything except reggae & "dance" & an ability to work with most cartridges from the Lyra through the Decca Gold would also be helpful. It would be used on my trusty Garrard 301. Any ideas??

Dik Dolan

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2005
United Kingdom
Going by what I have read, Walrus is probably the best dealer to try. Another option is to host a tonearm bakeoff with other forum members. Good luck and enjoy the journey=)

kennyk

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've heard that Garrards and Deccas do not good bedfellows make. The problem, so I've heard, is hum. whether that's specific to the Decca London or not I'm not sure, or even if it's 301 or 401 specific.

Anyway, you should also be considering an Audioorigami PU7 arm. not only do they look :love:but they are great performers. j7 can mount it on either a linn or rega mounts too, and can configure effective mass etc to suit your cartridge. I'm certain one or two have an AO arm, perhaps they will post their comments.

I'm certain that the AO will far outperform the OL arm.
smile.png

Dr_plinque

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 16, 2005
West of the Eastern
On a Garrard, a Phantom could be an interesting choice... Morch or Hadcock would work very well, so why pay more (especially if you stuck the 12" Morch arm on there).

I can vouch that Lyra carts work very well with both Graham and Morch.

mrwippy

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Nov 6, 2006
Plymouth, UK
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Schröder DPS

SchDPS.jpg

Although as there is an 18 month waiting list, you could save for the reference version;)

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
stefanher wrote:

As I know of no dealer (tell me I'm wrong) who is in a position to allow punters to compare tonearms can somebody help me with an upgrade? If I had £2500 to spend including trade in on my Origin Illustrious which arm should I go for? Obvious candidates are the SME V, the Graham, Origin Conqueror or maybe even the arm the Cartridge man makes (even he won't tell me where I can audition it). I'd like something that suits all music as I listen to everything except reggae & "dance" & an ability to work with most cartridges from the Lyra through the Decca Gold would also be helpful. It would be used on my trusty Garrard 301. Any ideas??
Difficult one - much depends on the cartridge you want to use as I doubt if there is really a universal arm out there.

The Fidelity Research FR64S takes a lot of beating and we have all heard the raves about the SMEV but there is not universal agreement.

I agree with suggestions about finding an enthusiast dealer who will guide you to the arm / cartridge combination your ears desire.

As to Deccas and 401s well they are no more problematic than other turntables its all about earthing. But quite frankly IMO it is a waste of money putting an arm of that quality on a 401 and I would be looking to keep the arm you have and put it on a £2,500 spinner like an Avid.

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
stefanher wrote:

Also I forgot to say the Decca sounds wonderful on unipivots like the Mayware Formula 4 and the Hadcock - price on arm when it comes to matching carridges means little. I think you may find the Decca sounds almost as good if not better in something like the Mayware compared to your Origin Live or a SME.

stefanher

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 17, 2006
Lincs, , United King
AKA
Stefan
uzzy wrote:

stefanher wrote:
Difficult one - much depends on the cartridge you want to use as I doubt if there is really a universal arm out there.

The Fidelity Research FR64S takes a lot of beating and we have all heard the raves about the SMEV but there is not universal agreement.

I agree with suggestions about finding an enthusiast dealer who will guide you to the arm / cartridge combination your ears desire.

As to Deccas and 401s well they are no more problematic than other turntables its all about earthing. But quite frankly IMO it is a waste of money putting an arm of that quality on a 401 and I would be looking to keep the arm you have and put it on a £2,500 spinner like an Avid.
I thought I'd auditioned all the turntables as far as I know up to £3k assuming that SOMETHING by now must obviously be better than the Garrard. I haven't however heard the Avid. I accept that some are more digital like & some have greater soundstages- but for overall brio & bass extension none seems to equal it. At least in this HFW & me agree. But I'll look out for an Avid dealer.

stefanher

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 17, 2006
Lincs, , United King
AKA
Stefan
Sand Dancing Donkey Walker wrote:

Hi stefanherGive Simon a ring at Hi-Fi Sound in Darlington. The guy knows his stuff and has a good choice of arms (tonearms that is).

Andy - SDDW
One of my friends and main dealers! Very difficult to get him to commit himself- hence this thread.. He does admit the Garrard does things no other turntable can do.

M

murray johnson

stefanher wrote:

murray johnson wrote:
An SP10 is!
Yes- I remember even the Flat Earthers couldn't convincingly pan this one. Never heard it however & even if I find one who will service it?
There's a chap in Taunton that can. I'll have to look up who it was though. Richard someone.

Anyway, the Garrard (if mechanicals are in good order) is a fine machine. Lots of scope for plinths, mat experiments etc.

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Cambs, , United King
Vantage Audio (google them) can have a good crack at servicing most DD's apparently - I'm sure the Technics is easier than most because they sold quite a few to radio stations, so spares must have been relatively abundant

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles