"High End" Speakers In Smack Generator...

Defiant

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 8, 2006
666
0
0
Surrey
Was in my local Smack Generator yesterday having a browse at the audio section (sometimes get a bargain) only to see a split in half speaker with what looked to be a full range driver in the head part....it caught my attention.

Then I saw the brand and the price!! They were in fact Naim Allae's, all £2k+ of them, what the hell they were doing in there I don't know....couldn't help but notice when the head was removed from the base, a hole revealing some rather thin looking bell wire connecting the tweeter to the crossover and considerable amounts of MDF.....not really what I'd expect for £2k, but hey :shocked:

Not sure what my point is, just thought you might be interested, oh and they're yours for £599 if anyone fancies them!!

 

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
11,690
4
0
, ,
Defiant wrote:

Was in my local Smack Generator yesterday having a browse at the audio section (sometimes get a bargain) only to see a split in half speaker with what looked to be a full range driver in the head part....it caught my attention.Then I saw the brand and the price!! They were in fact Naim Allae's, all £2k+ of them, what the hell they were doing in there I don't know....couldn't help but notice when the head was removed from the base, a hole revealing some rather thin looking bell wire connecting the tweeter to the crossover and considerable amounts of MDF.....not really what I'd expect for £2k, but hey :shocked:

Not sure what my point is, just thought you might be interested, oh and they're yours for £599 if anyone fancies them!!
Was there a little bit of paper inside saying who made it ? some kit comes with that :)just wondering if it was made by Frank Beard or Dusty Hill

allrun.gif.2dcd1cfcd00feccff4530e9a308ebccd.gif


 

Defiant

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 8, 2006
666
0
0
Surrey
Davewhityetagain wrote:

Defiant wrote:
Was in my local Smack Generator yesterday having a browse at the audio section (sometimes get a bargain) only to see a split in half speaker with what looked to be a full range driver in the head part....it caught my attention.Then I saw the brand and the price!! They were in fact Naim Allae's, all £2k+ of them, what the hell they were doing in there I don't know....couldn't help but notice when the head was removed from the base, a hole revealing some rather thin looking bell wire connecting the tweeter to the crossover and considerable amounts of MDF.....not really what I'd expect for £2k, but hey :shocked:

Not sure what my point is, just thought you might be interested, oh and they're yours for £599 if anyone fancies them!!
Was there a little bit of paper inside saying who made it ? some kit comes with that :)just wondering if it was made by Frank Beard or Dusty Hill

allrun.gif.2dcd1cfcd00feccff4530e9a308ebccd.gif
Err no bit of paper, other than a print out from Stone Audio giving a description, which is nice
kaffeetrinker_2.gif.ba76878d555418d609a6f9e8389072ea.gif
Having said that Sharp Dressed Man was on in the background
wink.png


Take it your not a fan of the big Naim then Papa :lwink:

 

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
12,907
147
123
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Defiant wrote:

Davewhityetagain wrote:
Defiant wrote:
Was in my local Smack Generator yesterday having a browse at the audio section (sometimes get a bargain) only to see a split in half speaker with what looked to be a full range driver in the head part....it caught my attention.Then I saw the brand and the price!! They were in fact Naim Allae's, all £2k+ of them, what the hell they were doing in there I don't know....couldn't help but notice when the head was removed from the base, a hole revealing some rather thin looking bell wire connecting the tweeter to the crossover and considerable amounts of MDF.....not really what I'd expect for £2k, but hey :shocked:

Not sure what my point is, just thought you might be interested, oh and they're yours for £599 if anyone fancies them!!
Was there a little bit of paper inside saying who made it ? some kit comes with that :)just wondering if it was made by Frank Beard or Dusty Hill

allrun.gif.2dcd1cfcd00feccff4530e9a308ebccd.gif
Err no bit of paper, other than a print out from Stone Audio giving a description, which is nice
kaffeetrinker_2.gif.ba76878d555418d609a6f9e8389072ea.gif
Having said that Sharp Dressed Man was on in the background
wink.png


Take it your not a fan of the big Naim then Papa :lwink:
Nope - Naim speakers are terrible imo.

 

garyi

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2005
266
0
0
, ,
Shame your all so stupid not to buy them up then push them on!

Are the defo alleas, did they have a rounded top or flat top?

 

Steve

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 18, 2005
655
14
0
Staffordshire
AKA
Steve
I actually rate Allæs. The midrange is to die for and the top and bottom work very well with judicious system setup.

 

garyi

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2005
266
0
0
, ,
Wiggy all I am saying is for someone in Lancs go and get them and put them on the bay, 800 quid awaits.

 

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
32,265
552
173
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
garyi wrote:

Wiggy all I am saying is for someone in Lancs go and get them and put them on the bay, 800 quid awaits.
Furry muff,

For £500.00 they might be well worth keeping for some one too.

 

Forum statistics

Threads
109,190
Messages
2,314,121
Members
69,421
Latest member
hczxynbvtr