Rack/Shelf for Klimax DSM

Bianchennero

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 16, 2023
Italia
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Let me explain: I don’t criticize those who spend 830 euros for a shelf, surely of quality, I think there are people who think that this can improve the sound with solid state electronic.

Ben Webster

System doesn‘t matter - if you have mine
Wammer
Dec 16, 2019
Frankfurt a.M. 🇩🇪
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Let me explain: I don’t criticize those who spend 830 euros for a shelf, surely of quality, I think there are people who think that this can improve the sound with solid state electronic.

Yes, it does. Even for a power bar.

Otherwise I wouldn‘t spend so much money.

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, it does. Even for a power bar.

Otherwise I wouldn‘t spend so much money.
Yes, I fully agree, solid state electronics benefits extremely well with well setup shelving that mitigates vibrations. I have gone to great lengths to address vibration control in every one of my audio components, whether they are solid state or have moving parts (OPPO, HD box for my TV)

Here is my Klimax DSM/3 Hub setup, using the 8mm 16 play aviation Baltic Birch plywood from Finland that is light and extremely rigid, used in the same TimeTables that Ben Webster uses.

The 16 layer Baltic Birch plywood sits on top of a set of 4 Isoacoustic Indigo Oreas. Sound quality improvements are extremely impressive.

IMG_8893.jpeg

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not sure about glass shelves.
Glass is rigid as it turns out, but it is just way too heavy. A heavy shelf, like a heavy piece of furniture will vibrate with more energy at a lower frequency than a lighter one. The idea is to mitigate for the vibrations imparted on the components by the sound waves in the air. So you want the kit to be held firmly and as motionless as possible in space. Then you want the stand to be as lightweight and rigid as is practicable. This will increase the harmonic frequency of the stand thus reducing the vibrational energy imparted from the sound waves to the stand to the kit.

There's also a mechanism by which spikes and the mass of the component damp the vibrations in the shelf. Imagine the span of shelf between spike and foot of the component. That shelf span would be damped at either end and allowed to vibrate like a guitar string in between. A lighter and "tighter" that is, more rigid "string" vibrates at a higher frequency (like a guitar string) thus imparting less energy on the kit. I've found that Klimax kit with it's massive case really responds well to all this.

Because of the reality of domestic considerations, some have had to compromise. A heavy piece of furniture would vibrate like heck. So this vibration may override the air born vibrations, and therefore must be dealt with. But this is all a compromise.

Reactions: Nestor Turton

Nestor Turton

Nestor Turton
Wammer
Jan 30, 2019
Nowhere in Particular
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Naim use glass shelves in their Fraim rack.

DG…
I use a Naim Fraim, but more because I had it from my Naim daze; I would not buy it new at today’s prices. I replaced the glass under my LP12 with a birch shelf, but kept the glass on the remainder. It does seem make a difference.

I have not tried alternatives on other shelves. I do have a Townshend Seismic Sink under a Majik DSM in another room and it is excellent. Once again bought years ago where it did wonders for a Nottingham Analogue Space Deck. It was not as successful with the LP12.

Last edited:

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm wondering how the TimeTable would perform compared to the NOKTable or AudioTech with the Baltic Birch plywood. I think the lighter and more rigid would come out on top. NOKTable is about the same price as the TimeTable.

Bianchennero

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 16, 2023
Italia
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If one can afford a klimax system and also take super shelves it is right to buy them. What I don’t like is that there are people who may be deflecting or want to save money on the hi-fi system and believe that a table improves the sound of a solid state smd component.

quinn_t

Wammer
Wammer
May 21, 2022
San Francisco
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
On a Naim Fraim:

24ca99ac67c90d0d6ebbd489b806a08a32281308_2_375x500.jpeg

Ben Webster

System doesn‘t matter - if you have mine
Wammer
Dec 16, 2019
Frankfurt a.M. 🇩🇪
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It‘s possible that a Majik-Level on a good shelf plays better than a Selekt-Level on a wrong shelf.

Another example: Akurate Radikal and Klimax Radikal are identical beside the cases and the difference is huge.

It‘s not believing or not, it‘s just comparing and hearing.

I can understand it‘s hard to believe when you never had the chance to hear the difference.

And unfortunately not all gears work on this kind of table. I was surprised that my Mutec Reclockers and Mutec Clock don‘t work on TimeTables, they need a solid plate (like a rock) and improve with Isoacoustic Pucks.

Last edited:

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Reactions: Ben Webster

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Beautiful but 830€ for the little shelf...
I just spent $1000 on a NOKTable, and $250 on a used AudioTech stand. It was solid value for money considering the sound quality improvement. Also, there's US$50k worth of kit setting on them. I'm certainly willing to spend a bit more money to have that much kit sound its best.

Last edited:

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This does have technical merit. From Wikipedia:

Microphonics, microphony, or microphonism[1][2][3] describes the phenomenon wherein certain components in electronic devices transform mechanical vibrations into an undesired electrical signal (noise). The term comes from analogy with a microphone, which is intentionally designed to convert vibrations to electrical signals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microphonics
It’s definitely a thing.

But I very much doubt it is with modern gear as good as Linn’s. It isn’t hard to grasp a DSM - while connected to the system and powered up - and give it a shake or a thump*.

Anything audible? No, of course not! Don’t try it with your LP12 though. ;)

* check the cables have sufficient slack!

• Haha
Reactions: Wenge1 and akamatsu

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles