Random image of the day 3

G

The old one is showing signs of wear, so out with the old, in with the new.

:^

Borats Baby

Wammer
Wammer
May 2, 2006
Warrington
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
.. but in the meantime, heres one the wife took on a recent trip to London. She's no photographer, even by amature standards, but I thought she'd captured a nice scene here.

I've fettled it in CS3 a bit.

IMG_0124edit.jpg

jkbmusic

Staff member
Nov 25, 2006
Brittunculi
AKA
Jeff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Cracking shots Mr. Cat :^ . Where is the first one?.

Scarlet, I never tire of landscapes. :^

S

s2000db

For landscapes have a look at the Sigma 10-20mm Mr Pimpernel... :)

Borats Baby

Wammer
Wammer
May 2, 2006
Warrington
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Mr pimpernel,

I dont know your level of knowledge of photography, so forgive me if I'm suggesting stuff you already know !

First, get yourself a tripod. Even a cheap used one off eBay for a tenner (like wot mine is) is perfect.

Next, shoot at something like f8 or smaller, this will give a sharper shot with more in focus.

Next, the reason for the tripod. Take 2, or even 3 shots, at different exposures, without moving the camera, AT ALL ! You can use bracketing on your 500D for this, or simply adjust it manually usinging the thumb wheel. You can then combine these shots in an editing program to give a perfectly exposed shot.

Hope this is some help as you may find you dont really need a better lens ;-)

Scarlet Pimpernel

Where's my pencil...?
Wammer
Feb 5, 2007
Totnes, South Devon,
AKA
Percy Blakeney
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Borats Baby wrote:

Mr pimpernel,I dont know your level of knowledge of photography, so forgive me if I'm suggesting stuff you already know !

First, get yourself a tripod. Even a cheap used one off eBay for a tenner (like wot mine is) is perfect.

Next, shoot at something like f8 or smaller, this will give a sharper shot with more in focus.

Next, the reason for the tripod. Take 2, or even 3 shots, at different exposures, without moving the camera, AT ALL ! You can use bracketing on your 500D for this, or simply adjust it manually usinging the thumb wheel. You can then combine these shots in an editing program to give a perfectly exposed shot.

Hope this is some help as you may find you dont really need a better lens ;-)
Good advice BB,

No, please suggest any advice: although I had some formal training in Photography when I did my graphic design degree, it seems that much of it has been lost in my mind - mainly through laziness on my behalf. Amazing considering we used to have a fully equipped analogue darkroom!

I know about using the tripod - and I know it makes an enormous difference. In fact, I have an excellent, heavy Manfrotto. It's just that I often go for a walk and grab the camera "just in case", and sod's law usually dictates that's exactly the time when I see the best shots. I think I need to be more thorough about equipment when I go out taking shots: like Mr Cat, PurplePleaser and yourself: I see you all get very consistent results.

But the f.8 idea is something I'll try. Thanks.

Re: the lens: I'm still using the Canon EFS 18-55mm that was bundled together when I bought the package, and although it's great considering how inexpensive it is: the fact remains that the lens simply doesn't have the finesse to grab enough detail.

I'm happy to be patient and buy new toys slowly.

I think I will take s2000db advice and look at a decent Sigma.

I saw one recently but my parsimonious alter-ego got the better of me at the time.

... now where's that dusty wallet of mine! :roll:

Cheers,

SP

Scarlet Pimpernel

Where's my pencil...?
Wammer
Feb 5, 2007
Totnes, South Devon,
AKA
Percy Blakeney
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Okay: just to show that it's just occasionally possible for The Pimpernel to stop obsessing about taking landscapes!

We went for a walk in the woods last week fungi-foraging, and found this lovely leaf, where the Devon dampness has rotted the "flesh", but maintained the skeleton structure of the veins.

Later, it was languishing on our window-sill at home, when some rays of autumn sunshine caught the light and make these lovely patterns: (which a little extra arranging ;-) )

Cheers,

SP

Skeleton_Leaf_502.jpg

Skeleton_Leaf_509.jpg

tkimages

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 14, 2006
St Helens
AKA
Tillman
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Here's one from a project I'm working on. It was taken in the Cathedrale D'Images in Provence. If you're ever down that way it's worth a trip, an awesome audio visual experience.

Sory, the image has not uploaded, I'll try again.

tkimages

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 14, 2006
St Helens
AKA
Tillman
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Fom a project I'm working on. Taken in the Cathedrale D'Image in Provence, an awesome audio visiual experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles