Random Speaker Advice

Paul68

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 30, 2021
West Lothian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would buy a new pair of QAcoustics 3030s. I used a pair for a couple of months with Audio Research amps and they sounded surprisingly great. Would go well with the Arcam.
I know that there not an older speaker with some pedigree but for £270 brand new they really are a hifi bargain.
They certainly don't disgrace themselves on higher end equipment as some on here can attest.
Plus as they're a current speaker you can try them out and return them if they don't please.

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Random speaker advice.
Never use blue tac.
Old underpants (cotton) can be saved for polishing.
DONT poke your tweeters, however nice they sound.
Vases don't look nice on top of speakers. Ever.

Andyt916

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 27, 2020
Hertfordshire, UK
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Random speaker advice.
Never use blue tac.
I think that when I was about 13/14 years old and I read/heard somewhere that my old Wharfedale bookshelf speakers might sound better on stands so I went to the garage and fashioned a pair of "speaker stands" out of whatever bits of wood my Dad had lying around I may have violated your first rule of "speaker club" and used blu tac :)

Reactions: garn63

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think that when I was about 13/14 years old and I read/heard somewhere that my old Wharfedale bookshelf speakers might sound better on stands so I went to the garage and fashioned a pair of "speaker stands" out of whatever bits of wood my Dad had lying around I may have violated your first rule of "speaker club" and used blu tac :)
Well at least you didn't use the ...erm... residue from those old underpants...😳🤣

• Haha
Reactions: garn63 and Andyt916

Ady

Shoebox Ady. United by a love of music & equipment
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Random speaker advice.
Never use blue tac.
If I didn't allow vases on my speakers I wouldn't be allowed to keep them 😂
I've applied for the next wam show ,so will hopefully get a slightly larger room and I can turn it up a bit!
20230131_220957.jpg

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I
I've applied for the next wam show ,so will hopefully get a slightly larger room and I can turn it up a bit!
20230131_220957.jpg
I love it mate. I've been there :)
Long time ago, mind. 👀 Only have the dog to negotiate with these days...and he loves music (apparently). I put a 2m cable on my power amp & it sits at the side of his chair.
It's a two way street 😉
* Make sure you bring a couple of vases to the show. Dressing the room will be just as important as the music you play.

Reactions: Ady and deggie

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Now that is a genuinely scary thought.

Me and one other had to vacate your room at Stoke in a rush panic when you decided to turn it up a bit, for fear of our hearing!
Serious sensory overload. :eek:

Reactions: Ady and Tony_J

Andyt916

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 27, 2020
Hertfordshire, UK
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thank you all for your kind and knowledgeable advice. I passed all the recommendations on - he has got himself a pair of Dynaudio Audition 60 floorstanders at what seems like an excellent price. I don't think that he was planning on going so large, but they don't lack for space. Looking forward to going over and setting them up.

Reactions: Jezzer and Ady

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thank you all for your kind and knowledgeable advice. I passed all the recommendations on - he has got himself a pair of Dynaudio Audition 60 floorstanders at what seems like an excellent price. I don't think that he was planning on going so large, but they don't lack for space. Looking forward to going over and setting them up.
I’m sure you meant ‘Audience’ 60. 😎

… I see they’re front ported which may make them less of a challenge to position compared with most other Dynaudio speakers.

Andyt916

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 27, 2020
Hertfordshire, UK
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’m sure you meant ‘Audience’ 60. 😎

… I see they’re front ported which may make them less of a challenge to position compared with most other Dynaudio speakers.
You are correct, Audience it is indeed (I posted this on my laptop so can't even blame autocorrect :) ). Fortunately I believe he just wants a sound system, and is unconcerned about "hifi", so my task should be pretty straightforward.

Reactions: Jezzer

tackleberry

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2010
Leeds..ish
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
20230131_220957.jpg
The only thing going through my head if I saw this at home…murder,death,kill.

• Haha
Reactions: Ady

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You are correct, Audience it is indeed (I posted this on my laptop so can't even blame autocorrect :) ). Fortunately I believe he just wants a sound system, and is unconcerned about "hifi", so my task should be pretty straightforward.
What a sensible chap. Who wants a HiFi system. 🤣🤣

dhansak

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Aug 24, 2021
Edinburgh
www.danielwebb.online
AKA
danaudio
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
‘Finding the right loudspeaker for a small listening environment can be a problem, which is why we have introduced the floor-standing Audience 60 - an addition to the Audience range that is specifically designed for small to mid-sized rooms.’

Reactions: Andyt916

lindsayt

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 19, 2009
Huddersfield, , Unit
I thought it was because they play loud enough to cover the entirety of Cornwall....:ROFLMAO:

Sounded excellent at Stoke - hopefully if Ady feels like dragging them to the show this year he can have a room big enough to do them full justice
And the Kans were so called because they can provide enough bass to fill a large can.
And because of inspiration from the Kinks first three albums:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles