Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Torquay
AKA
Marc
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've always been a tweaker, replacing caps, resistors and valves.
My Croft 1990s integrated amp based on the series 5 EL84 output stage with a passive preamp has had major work.

Signal wiring in solid silver.
Volume pots changed to TKD.
Coupling caps are Obligato.
Power caps are Audio Note.
Valves are Siemens. 8 x el84

I looked at the amp and wondered what next, those old tired input sockets and banana sockets sure look vintage.

So on a wimp I changed the RCA and banana sockets to CNC silver versions from Hifi Collective. I was not expecting a drastic change in sound as this was only a small component change. Well it was one of those " what the f..k " moments.

Has anyone else experience this change.
It really made me think about socket component quality.

Reactions: John (big)

John (big)

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 3, 2012
West London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've always been a tweaker, replacing caps, resistors and valves.
My Croft 1990s integrated amp based on the series 5 EL84 output stage with a passive preamp has had major work.

Signal wiring in solid silver.
Volume pots changed to TKD.
Coupling caps are Obligato.
Power caps are Audio Note.
Valves are Siemens. 8 x el84

I looked at the amp and wondered what next, those old tired input sockets and banana sockets sure look vintage.

So on a wimp I changed the RCA and banana sockets to CNC silver versions from Hifi Collective. I was not expecting a drastic change in sound as this was only a small component change. Well it was one of those " what the f..k " moments.

Has anyone else experience this change.
It really made me think about socket component quality.
Len Gregory AKA The Cartridgeman advised me to rewire in silver the phono stage he asked Mr Croft to make for me which I did though not the phono sockets, Len was using at the time a Croft to develop his cartridge range, I was one of his test guinea pigs.

I know that when I changed the board mounted sockets on my Caiman SEG 50 DAC for chassis mounted quality brass ones the improvement was palpable. Recently when I bought a Hana ML moving coil cartridge Mark Manwaring-White modified my Croft phono stage by inserting a pair of SUT's he used a pair of silver plated pure copper phono sockets that is sounding superb. Mark had previously fitted a better quality transformer & few Mills resistors

I will look into the cost of those silver phono socket & see if my pension will stretch.

Reactions: Fullrange

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online