Recommend me a 60 inch tv for main duties

pmac

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 19, 2005
Another vote for a Panny Plasma :^

Can't fault mine (although it's a tad smaller)

AdamK

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 29, 2005
Bucks/Herts border
Panny plasma while they are still available.

Otherwise, some cheapo LED crap :)

Just replaced our main TV last month - All the big name high street retailers are full of LED's - Plasma is now a niche product.

In my experience Richer Sounds offered a good selection.

hullevad

Wammer
Wammer
May 12, 2012
AKA
Michael Hullevad
There will be 0 new Panasonic plasmas for the new season. Looks like they are shutting the production lines down. So hurry and grab what is left of the old models at the current prices. The OLED´s will be much more expensive, I doubt they can deliver the same quality/price ratio as the current ST models.

eastsoutheast

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Nov 13, 2011
Wimblington Cambridgeshire
AKA
Brian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have yet to see a picture on any LCD/LED to match my Pioneer Plasma. This includes the latest 4K screens although these are stunning showing native 4K content (very limited availability). OLED are however stunning but stunningly expensive.

Buying a Pioneer or Panasonic Plasma now should last you until OLED sets come down to realistic prices (and even then you may decide your chosen TV is more than good enough).

Pioneer does not do 3D if this interests you.

68rednose

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 11, 2013
Mainland Europe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Panasonic.

Our 46" Panny TX-P46G10 (with 1st gen neoPDP panel) is still great.

I'd go now for a GT60 series, with the latest higher spec neoPlasma panel.

Unfortunately, there's only a 50"version available.

Larger screens (55 and 65, NOT 60") are available in the VT series, which are more expensive though.

Either way, PQ has never been so good as now.

Good luck with your choice.

oliver_k

Wammer
New Wammer
Oct 25, 2012
i have a 50" panassonic plasma (last years vt). while its great, especially for films in a dark room i definitely wouldn't rush into getting one as your main tv.

value for money wise LEDs are generally cheaper, but at 60" id definitely go for the slightly more expensive array backlight, your at the point where edge lit start to show. the speakers on plasmas are generally better due to the drive to market as thin a tv as possible, and lcd's go thinner.

mine is my main tele, and my missus and i are prone to couch potato tendencies. it does have some disadvantages. it uses a fair amount of power, it has made a noticeable difference to my electricity bill. as a consequence its like a having a third radiator in my front room, which my missus appreciates but does not help on summer nights.

the main considerations IMO are, how bright is your room. LED will be able to cope better if you have a lot of natural light. also how sensitive are you to the buzz and whine that plasma tvs generate when displaying light colours. not a problem with films at night but for daytime watching i find this very noticeable. i live in a quiet area.

as i say, i have one and use it everyday. my priority was picture quality for film watching, and on balance for me its worth the niggles until OLED becomes established and 4K and hdmi2 are properly sorted out.

G

Yep seems good vfm at 50 and 55 inch but not at 60 sob sob
Viz Top Tip...

Save money on a 60" plasma telly.

Buy the 55" & sit a little bit closer to the screen.

vacdac

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
Manchester
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Lol not so daft mebbe, Steve. :)

I have my current 40" Sammy on a Vogels double wishbone cantilever mount & can pull it out over a foot & a half further into the room. I only tend to bother for films, but it does make a worthwhile difference IMV.

I'm contemplating a nooo set fairly soon & will almost certainly by another 40" or a 42" perhaps, any bigger would not suit my furnishings & would seem to dominate in presence over my 2 ch audio eqpmt.....which matters far more to me personally. :stereo: :rockin:

Flimber

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 14, 2008
West Yorkshire
Custodian was recently selling his as-good-as-it-gets Pioneer Kuro 60" on another forum. Not sure if still is. ~£1,500, IIRC. He's in South Wales though. Am I even helping ?

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm going to throw the cat in among the pigeons here.

This is very much like the hi-fi dilemma. Mucho spend for minimal difference, once you get above a certain level.

Our main set is a Samsung LED. I agree that the Panasonic plasma provides (slightly) better image quality, but no way is it 'night and day'. I spent a lot of time setting up the big Sammy properly, and the difference that made, IMHO, is greater than the difference between it and another screen.

Not to mention that the broadcast medium is pretty important. Years (many) after its introduction, you might want to take a look at exactly how many true HD channels are broadcasting. Equally importantly, how many are broadcasting stuff you'd actually want to watch.

The vast majority of stuff I want to watch is Blu-ray or DVD music concerts or films. About zero of them are recorded in high def. A big screen brings more involvement, but not better quality per se.

Ours is a 42". If I ever change it, I will go for a 55 or 60" LED. Cheaper (by far) to run than a plasma, and bearing in mind the media, so close to equal as to not matter.

Spend the difference on the audio side.

It's what I did. Concentrating on the fact that it's mainly doing 'in your face' stuff, I bought a sensibly big pair of B&W floor standers for the front, a pair of B&W 601s for the rears and a really decent centre. The sub is £100's worth, because mostly it just does explosions and helicopters and the like.

Priorities...

vacdac

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
Manchester
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Our main set is a Samsung LED. I agree that the Panasonic plasma provides (slightly) better image quality, but no way is it 'night and day'. I spent a lot of time setting up the big Sammy properly, and the difference that made, IMHO, is greater than the difference between it and another screen.
Agreed Richard...me too,

I've individually set up/tweaked the settings for the current choice of three vid sources if I include the settings set up I've done for using the onboard tuner.

I'm currently perusing new sts at the mo & it will be LED & currently I've liked the Sammy 40" & LG 42" sets I'm looking at @ around £500'ish. More than good enough for my needs/priorities & both consume around 20% of what my 7/8yr old Sammy 40" full HD LCD set does, lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OpenSea_0