Recommend me an integrated amplifier please.

daccordimark

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 16, 2009
Huddersfield
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi,
I'm looking to replace my Audiolab 8000Q pre / 2 x Cyrus XPA power amp setup with a single integrated amp. I do have a venerable Cyrus One from way back but fancy trying something different. I was almost tempted by either of the Sugden a21 Sigs that were recently advertised on here but in the end I couldn't bring myself to get an amp that consumes as much electricity when idle as it does when driving speakers.

The rest of the system is a Technics SL1500c with AT VM540ML cart, a RaspberryPi/Allo DAC for digital music and a pair of Mission 752 Freedom speakers.

I'd welcome any suggestions from the 'Wam on what to look for in the second-hand market based on the folllowing:
The "Hi-Fi room" is a small spare bedroom so listening levels tend to be quite low, meaning an amp that still sounds good at low levels is a prime requirement.
No class A for the reason stated above and no valves.
Maximum depth of 360mm to fit in the rack so no monster amps. :(
Something with a bit of grip as I've read that although the 752s are easy to drive they do benefit from an amp that can control the woofers.
My music tastes are varied so a good all rounder is fine although anything that helps show off talented vocalists gets bonus points.
Line only, unless for my budget of £1200 there's something out there with a really good built-in phono stage.

Cheers,
Mark.

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
How small exactly is your room? If I’m honest, you would do better to look at an integrated and some standmount speakers. As much as the Freedoms can do some special things, a standmount would have a better tonal accuracy in a small room.
I would consider the Rega Elex-R and some Q Acoustics 3030i with decent stands. All can be had secondhand in your budget and the Rega’s built in phonostage is far superior to the one in the Technics.

Reactions: HouseElf and uzzy

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
With a phono stage the ‘Primo’ versions are £3,000 new (and an extra 5 WPC compared to this one):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/22529000...624&ssuid=&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I know you said no valves but these hybrid amps use a small pair of ECC82s in the output stage to give you a touch of that ‘valve magic’ without the hassle of going down the full valve route… and giving you plenty of power.

lazycat

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Dec 20, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Go to Richer Sounds for a listen to Denon and Marantz, amongst others. They have decent phono stages.

I know my Denon PMA-1600 does.

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In other recent, similar threads some of the giant integrated amps (e.g. Sony ES range) from the Japanese manufacturers around the 1980's / 90's have been recommended. They also generally have pretty decent phono stages. So if you don't mind hunting the used market, that's worth considering in addition to the above-mentioned current Denon & Marantz models.

A good quality Class-D integrated would also do the job, in general they are not short of grunt and grip! Primare, Gato, etc on the used market might just slip inside your budget.

Or how about this: Krell KAV300i if you could live without a remote control (or considering the price, probably order a replacement)?

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My suggestion: Bel Canto C5i
Very good amp and very well made .i have a mint one available next week hopefully ex display supplied in 2022 .silver front .you can see pics if you look at bel canto thread

The remotes are great .will about 825 including courier or collection brum

Reactions: Mcribbons

Headcoat

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Feb 15, 2006
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Curveball suggestion - NAD C368 or C389. Class D - warm, plenty of body but also a subtle energy. Phono stage, headphone amp, also a decent DAC that you may not want!

Under-rated amp imo. The C368 blew away an Arcam SA30 on returning with my C368, shops's was the SA30, when demo'ing speakers a few years back.

YMMV

Gray

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 24, 2019
Cyrus XR-i7 is currently available for a 'never to be repeated' price.
The phono stage is very good (and so is the internal DAC - though you may prefer the Allo).

I think those that have previously complained of Cyrus thinness, will regard it as an improvement.

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Or something a bit more exotic
My Sonus Faber Musica
Probably one of the most sublime amplifiers I’ve owned …
Line level, I used it to drive my Gale 401 which are renowned for being a difficult load

chris_bates1974

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 29, 2016
Near Lutterworth
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In other recent, similar threads some of the giant integrated amps (e.g. Sony ES range) from the Japanese manufacturers around the 1980's / 90's have been recommended. They also generally have pretty decent phono stages. So if you don't mind hunting the used market, that's worth considering in addition to the above-mentioned current Denon & Marantz models.

A good quality Class-D integrated would also do the job, in general they are not short of grunt and grip! Primare, Gato, etc on the used market might just slip inside your budget.

Or how about this: Krell KAV300i if you could live without a remote control (or considering the price, probably order a replacement)?
I absolutely love my Primare amp, and they are certainly available well within your budget. The difficulty would probably be finding one to listen to...

Reactions: jamesrfisher

I.D.S.

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 14, 2021
Have you considered the Quad Vena range there are various models depending on requirements. I use a Vena 1 as a great way to connect modern sources to a single amp.

Reactions: hifinutt

daccordimark

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 16, 2009
Huddersfield
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks everyone for your great suggestions, I would never have thought about Primare or Bel Canto for instance.
Plenty for me to investigate there.
@Rockchild - my room is just over 3m by just under 3m. The speakers fire across the short side so yeah, maybe it's time to let the Missions go.

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks everyone for your great suggestions, I would never have thought about Primare or Bel Canto for instance.
Plenty for me to investigate there.
@Rockchild - my room is just over 3m by just under 3m. The speakers fire across the short side so yeah, maybe it's time to let the Missions go.
Just remember that a compromise in that room will need to be addressed. It doesn’t matter what amp you use, the Missions will hold it back purely as they are designed to work in a more open space. If you can demo stuff at home, that would be ideal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.