Reel-to-reel looks sexy and sounds fab: who has one and how do you actually use it?

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
Rural Leics [system 1] & Kendal [systems 2 & 3]
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have come across a rather nice looking reel-to-reel deck locally. I haven't bought it yet...

I've always loved the look of them: but never had a clue where I might put one (stil don't: it would have to be Kendal) or how I might listen to it, never mind the mind-boggling idea of actually using it to record stuff.

I've always loved the sound of them too: the @lodgesound room at Scalford was always an absolute treat and it was great to see and hear same at the Leamington show a few months ago.

image.png

The deck is a Sony TC-377 so I was delighted to find this post from @robbie010 in my Wam meanderings. How are you getting on with it, Robbie?

Who else has a reel-to-reel in their system (rather than in a loft/spare room)? Do you actually use it? What for, how, and how often? Photos would make you popular...

For reference, I have a cassette deck in my Kendal system and occasionally pick up pre-recorded cassettes which I enjoy playing. In theory, and I have the blank tapes sitting there, I could record stuff but in practical terms I can't be arsed and there is no/limited SQ advantage in doing so.

Is reel-to-reel so different? Well yes, potentially. The aesthetics/experience are in a different league and I've been blown away by the sound (albeit not from a relatively modest Sony).

Guide me. Inspire me. Tell me to get a grip. Whatever.

Last edited by a moderator:

Minicoupeman

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 21, 2015
Sittingbourne
AKA
Andy Andrews
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I owned one of these. Lovely machine. A bit of me wishes I had never sold it until I remembered the space the 20 or so tapes I had took up.  The difficulty in finding the music I wanted to hear.  The time taken to spool a reel through.  The cleaning of the heads and space the whole scheebang needed.  Then I look at my Melco and thank god for progress.

robbie010

Fervent Box-swapper & Tinkerer
Wammer Plus
Feb 24, 2016
Manchester
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have come across a rather nice looking reel-to-reel deck locally. I haven't bought it yet...

I've always loved the look of them: but never had a clue where I might put one (stil don't: it would have to be Kendal) or how I might listen to it, never mind the mind-boggling idea of actually using it to record stuff.

I've always loved the sound of them too: the @lodgesound room at Scalford was always an absolute treat and it was great to see and hear same at the Leamington show a few months ago.

LP12-024-1116444.jpg

The deck is a Sony TC-377 so I was delighted to find this post from @robbie010 in my Wam meanderings. How are you getting on with it, Robbie?

Who else has a reel-to-reel in their system (rather than in a loft/spare room)? Do you actually use it? What for, how, and how often? Photos would make you popular...

For reference, I have a cassette deck in my Kendal system and occasionally pick up pre-recorded cassettes which I enjoy playing. In theory, and I have the blank tapes sitting there, I could record stuff but in practical terms I can't be arsed and there is no/limited SQ advantage in doing so.

Is reel-to-reel so different? Well yes, potentially. The aesthetics/experience are in a different league and I've been blown away by the sound (albeit not from a relatively modest Sony).

Guide me. Inspire me. Tell me to get a grip. Whatever.
Run for the hills and never look back. 

My experience tells me that a high quality (expensive) deck that has been regularly services and fastidiously maintained will be a much better investment both on a financial basis and in terms of the pleasure of use. 

I feel that tape decks are a real niche area of audiophilia (is that a word?) that is best left to those with the patience to deal with the intricacies of their use and maintenance, never-mind the inherent issues with finding good quality source material. 

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have it's close neighbour, the Sony TC366. Years ago I was quite heavily into R2R and various Akai and Revox machines resided here for a while.

To listen to, the Sony is crap frankly. Vinyl and digital wees all over it. Also, if you think vinyl involves a lot of farting around, I'd stay well clear of reel-to-reel. Mind you, like vinyl, there's something quite magical about watching it. Primarily, I only keep the Sony simply because it's nice to look at.

Radioham

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 8, 2010
Peterborough.
AKA
Alan Ralph
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Reel to reel tape is very expensive as a consumable £25 to £35 per reel. You need to consider 7.5 ips as the minimum speed for a reasonable frequency response. Source  material is an issue. If you were buying pre-recorded at £400-£500 then you would be looking at a much higher spec machine than the Sony 377 or Akai 4000DS (Very popular in the 70,s)

Other source material could be Vinyl or FM Radio or Streaming.

I have had both machines, but like a lot of people moved over to Cassette and then CD due to tape costs and storage. 

I agree that they can produce a nice sound but if you look at the specs you will see that they measure quite poor (Signal/Noise, Freq Response and Wow and flutter. Plus maintenance issues like head wear, rubber belts,  and pressure rollers.

Alan

tIANcI

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 20, 2019
Malaysia
AKA
Wilson
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
And what prey tell are they dealing in ;)
Naaaaah not that sort of guy. Deals in speakers and valve amps but a lot of yummeh cabling and Furutech connectors (for DIY). Much cheaper to make own stuff than to buy. 😬

R2R is just what he and a few clients enjoy.

Reactions: EddieRUKidding

dave

incurable tinkerer
Wammer
Mar 24, 2014
cambs
AKA
dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had an ex- BBC Studer A62 once. it was lovely, and once I had taped a record  or CD on to my tape and played it back, it didn't sound "better". And even 25 years ago the costs of tape, whats the point when I could buy the vinyl / CD for less...... was not going to set up a studio any time.

I feel happy that people are keeping this technology going, they are cool and can sound absolutely lovely, and I still hanker for one a little. My Revox B710 still doesn't compare to a B77 aesthetically, sigh. If you want to dabble with tape, an alternative is double speed cassette. It is very nice, but even more niche.

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Back in the late 70s while on tech service for a coatings manufacturer,  I was invited by the north east rep to go to Ferrograph in south shields as they were selling off stock..I brought a ferrograph series 7 ....A "724" If my memory serves me correctly.. had it for many years recording radio concerts...loved its warm renditions... but by the late 80s i was running 5 music formats..

R2R, vinyl, cassette, radio and the new CD.. so something had to give , sadly I let the ferrograph go for peanuts .. I still love their retro look..I'm thinking of having a vintage set up in the new house and may look at installing a R2R in the man cave just for vintage nostalgia. I know where there is A Teac X300 sat doing nowt..

Kindest regards Julian 

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I completely understand the draw of R2R - seeing a machine in action and producing sweet music is arguably the "sexiest" that hi-fi kit ever gets. Someone posted a picture of a Technics open reel machine a while ago on another thread, I think it was this RS-1500 or a variation of (RS-1800 perhaps):

5ADCDE10-3857-4378-9FD6-4F276C3050B4.jpeg

Pretty horny I reckon. I also rather fancy this little beauty (not that I know any stats about it - can't find much info online):

Front.jpg

Even if the ultimate sound quality ended up being a bit disappointing, I'd have either of those in a trice, purely for the aesthetic and joy of ownership. I rather suspect the price tags are off the scale though... Nigel, do let us know if you take the plunge and share piccies 

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There are some people who say that a customised cassette deck is not that far off r2r. I have heard an original Elvis recording on that Sony and it sounded amazing. The advice that I got a few years ago was only to get r2r if I was into the music that was originally recorded on that format and could afford to buy it. 

Fourlegs

WAVE Digital Cables
Wammer
May 5, 2014
Melton Mowbray
www.wavehighfidelity.com
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
There are some people who say that a customised cassette deck is not that far off r2r. I have heard an original Elvis recording on that Sony and it sounded amazing. The advice that I got a few years ago was only to get r2r if I was into the music that was originally recorded on that format and could afford to buy it. 
I was very keen on my Sony Walkman Pro WM-D6C Cassette Player but I admit I never compared it to a R2R. 

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My uncle had the Sony R2R that flash has posted up ......he always lusted after a Tandberg tho 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online