Rega Floorstanders

selby

Wammer
New Wammer
Jun 3, 2013
Berkshire
AKA
James
I've been looking into getting some Royd Floorstanders but I'd really like the Abbots but these seem to rarely come up for sale. Due to this I'm looking at other options and I see that Rega speakers seem to have a good name for themselves.

Can any of you recommend certain models that are the pick of the bunch?

Ela, Alya?

HoopsOnToast

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 6, 2006
Oxfordshire
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Had the R3, R7 and Jura. The R3 being lovely little things, bit lightweight in the bass but great speed and open presentation. The R7's being a more 'grown up' version, more refined in the treble and very good bass but dont come up often.

The Juras are older, sound very nice although not as open as the R3 and need a little room behind otherwise they can boom a bit in the bass. Very good value though.

wolf larson

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 11, 2007
Epsom, Surrey
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had some old EL8's which were replaced with R3's. The R3's sounded (and looked) superb. As stated not loads of bottom end but fast and very musical. They're also physically very descrete and work well against a rear wall. I tested them against the final iteration of the ELA (which my dad has).

The ELAs had a sweeter top end but weren't as good all round, hence I went for the R3. Example being when I tested them via Sandy Denny's vocals, the ELAs went beyond the R3s but as soon as I tested more bassy music (think it was Massive Attack) the R3s delivered so much more, which I thought made them a better compromise.

I ended up moving them on because I had to shuv a TV bertween them, which killed how the side-firing drivers integrated. Sold them to a mate who still has them and I get to hear them frequently on the end of a Pink Triangle LPT and old MF amps and they sound great - far better than when I had them....so worth considering how they'll be positioned if considering the side firing R models.

Folkman

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 7, 2007
Spalding, , United K
AKA
Michael.
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Rega Xel's.

Best Rega speaker i have ever heard/owned. Much better than Ela's [and yes they are good as i ran a pair for 7 years , just that Xels are so much better]

Downside is they dont seem to come up for sale very often. But upside is they usually sell at bargain prices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles