rega horror show!! were now?

white noise

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 28, 2011
cheam
AKA
martin
I resonantly had an online explosion about my rega Saturn going tits up . Things did not get much better,after a repair bill of £360 + vat for a 3 year old machine with less than 250 hours(just out of warranty) i decided to cut my losses and wash my hands !! You might find a saturn up for sale shortly,not my sale,might be my old machine,nothing to do with me though!

Now were do i go from here ? Having only resonantly purchasing a tom evans microgroove ( still not received lol) i am a bit short of funds but need a cdp that will last . Ironically i am using a 30 year old denon at the moment that works faultlessly after 5 years in its box .

£500 fund, used as i am not buying a new cdp again. Or should i just get a dac and use my pc for digital and use my tt for analog .

The worst thing is that i loved the sound of my saturn but if it keeps braking down what can you do ..... Just like my old ducati :doh:

white noise

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 28, 2011
cheam
AKA
martin
Mines ten year old and works fine. Buy another one cheap.
I would love to,but its my first Hifi failure of any sorts in 30 years ! sort of sticks in my mind unfortunately. and will do i guess for a long time. And what realy pissed me off is all they did was put a new mech in !, 1/2 hour job ... Would they sell me the component to fitt myself ? Would they heck....

white noise

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 28, 2011
cheam
AKA
martin
They charged 360 for a mech and fitting? That isn't good.
Must be the pixy dust they add or something .. To be honest i am to worn out to argue with them any more . As i said never buying rega again so its now just a sad tale of a great british company slowly showing cracks:nup:

At least having no work today has alowed me to drink enough to make the denon sound ok

Always a bright side ;-)

Bourney

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 28, 2006
stoke on trent
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Fast and taught - Naim CD5i, densen B400

more relaxed - unison unico cd, sugden cd21, meridian 508.24

or consider the modern Cambridge Audios 840(??) Creek or Audiolabs. I've not heard any of these three but they seem well thought of and well supported.

meridian man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 9, 2009
Dublin, Ireland.
AKA
Robert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Don't get a naim, they are made with faults.

Check on the sheep forum about all of their new stuff with faults. Uniti2, unitilite, super nait, nait5i, uniqute.

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
Denon DVD-2900 £75. When/if it dies buy another?.

Why not buy a battleship DVD player plenty below £100 from a few years ago. Sounds as good to my ears as a Sony CDP-X3000ES top-loading FPM and that sounds good.

white noise

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 28, 2011
cheam
AKA
martin
Thanks for all you thoughts and offers. I am going to give the old cd up and concentrate on my vinyl set up and move all my digital to my pc ,which means a dac but i will sort that out in the near future .. As i mentioned earlier i have just bought a microgroove,which is still in the post,or being built,lol

I'll stick to the old denon for the meantime,It honestly don't sound that bad :zip:

white noise

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 28, 2011
cheam
AKA
martin
could you not source a replacment laser mech and fit it yourself
I would have if rega wasn't such a closed shop . They will not sell parts ! well that's what thay told me . So i was was scolded by a £50 nonrefundable to start with to send it to them via a rega dealer .

Anyway i am getting dragged in again .

Life is to short,more important things . LOL

technobear

Ursine Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2005
Glastonbury, UK
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The 8200CD or 8200CDQ seem to be the obvious candidates here. There have been a few second hand so keep 'em peeled.

white noise

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 28, 2011
cheam
AKA
martin
I am looking at the Audiolab m-dac . I was thinking the rega dac before but obviously that is not a prospect now . At the moment being a poor man with lots of hobbies i cant spend any more money on HiFi. I am still waiting for my Tom Evans Microroove to turn up (u reading this tom??)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online