Wammer
Wammer
Sep 2, 2009
Somewhere
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Is there any benefit in replacing the felt mat on a Rega P25 and if so what would you recommend.

RobHolt

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 28, 2006
East London
AKA
Rob
Depends entirely on what you want to achieve.

If you want the P25 to remain sounding like a good Rega then keep the felt mat. it's integral to the design. Everything on a Rega is a carefully considered part of the design.

If there are elements of the sound you dislike, or you want a different presentation then you can try almost any material on the platter.

Generally, plastics and rubber materials will give a drier, more damped presentation while softer materials like felt sound fuller and more expansive.

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was never happy with the felt because of the "bits" it holds, I tried cork but didn't notice any difference, I've now replaced the platter with an Isokinetik Isoplatter.

And before you ask if it made an improvement :dunno: , thats because I've upgraded all the parts and I can't remember any more, it still has a Rega plinth, motor and arm but thats it. I do know it sounds excellent and looks even better :D

Rega P3/24 by Barry JP, on Flickr

RSand

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 25, 2012
Liverpool
AKA
Rob
I hated the felt mat with a passion! Always full of bits and clung to the record with static when you removed after playing. I replaced it with cork which I didn't like the sound of. I bought one of the thinner achromats and loved it, it just sounded right. Obviously VTA becomes an issue with a thicker mat I used a couple of steel washers.

G

You can't go far wrong with a 3mm achromat on a Rega Glass platter in my opinion, use a light spindle clamp. if you want a cheaper alternative seek out a 'hard felt mat'.

M

MJ.

I was never happy with the felt because of the "bits" it holds, I tried cork but didn't notice any difference, I've now replaced the platter with an Isokinetik Isoplatter.And before you ask if it made an improvement :dunno: , thats because I've upgraded all the parts and I can't remember any more, it still has a Rega plinth, motor and arm but thats it. I do know it sounds excellent and looks even better :D

Rega P3/24 by Barry JP, on Flickr
WoW :love:

That looks a cracker Barney.

RobHolt

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 28, 2006
East London
AKA
Rob
You can't go far wrong with a 3mm achromat on a Rega Glass platter in my opinion, use a light spindle clamp. if you want a cheaper alternative seek out a 'hard felt mat'.
A DJ style slip mat generally meets that goal - guarder and more compressed material than a regular felt mat.

Or a Roksan mat at considerably higher cost.

The thinner denser P9 mats will also work fine though it alters VTA a tad.

mr.me

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 2, 2009
Somewhere
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As a stop gap I have actually removed the felt mat and used an old vinyl record as a mat and wow! it has brought the Rega to life. It really sounds dull and boring with the felt mat. :shock:

PhilipL

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2013
Chelmsford
AKA
Philip
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That's an interesting idea - never heard of doing that before but it's free, quick and reversible so I'll give it a try.

As a stop gap I have actually removed the felt mat and used an old vinyl record as a mat and wow! it has brought the Rega to life. It really sounds dull and boring with the felt mat. :shock:

RobHolt

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 28, 2006
East London
AKA
Rob
I guess that's a nice cheap way of getting some of the effect of an acrylic or plastic mix platter.

Probably have to lightly clamp it though to avoid skidding.

mr.me

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 2, 2009
Somewhere
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I guess that's a nice cheap way of getting some of the effect of an acrylic or plastic mix platter.Probably have to lightly clamp it though to avoid skidding.
Rob, can you point me in the right direction for a suitable clamp to fit the Rega P25

RobHolt

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 28, 2006
East London
AKA
Rob
Rob, can you point me in the right direction for a suitable clamp to fit the Rega P25
I'd look out for a POD - one of these:

eon_research_pod.jpg

On a Rega you want the least additional mass possible and the POD is very light. It applies light pressure by pulling on the spindle and pressing onto the label. I think a Rega has just enough spindle length to grip, especially without the felt mat.

It's an old design and I don't know if something similar is available today, but I see them now and again on eBay.

/monthly_2013_12/eon_research_pod.jpg.ee65df8c1edad85193261d84f912e6af.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles