Rega planet

D

Dayvan cowboy

Just after a cheap nice ish looking transport to feed my tag dac and the hifi shop that's repairing my tt and fitting my 2m red have a rega planet in minto condition for £120 and I guessing he might do something on that with the other bits I'm buying , so would this be ok . I like the top loading rega kit so I'm very tempted ...

cheers day

Bourney

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 28, 2006
stoke on trent
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use an original clamshell planet. It's brilliant. Sounds great and is one if the quickest and smoothest to

operate I've owned, including Meridian and much newer Regas. That's a bargain. I paid around170 for mine.

D

Dayvan cowboy

Ok here's the thing , I picked this up earlier and I'm gobsmacked at how good this sounds , so good in fact I haven't gone back to my new TT at the moment ...

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
Excellent bit of kit.

Just be aware that Rega only changed the design (2005) because Sony no longer make the chipset used in the original Planet.

If it goes wrong it is probably not repairable, but still a very good price for a very accomplished player.

D

Dayvan cowboy

Well tbh guys , god forbid anything does go wrong just yet , but if it did I would buy another in a heartbeat , it's the warmest fullest richest CD player I've heard ....

D

Dayvan cowboy

It's been 3weeks since I've bought this for £120 and its still leaving me gobsmacked , hearing radiohead like never before ... Best bit of kit I've bought .....

M

MJ.

It's been 3weeks since I've bought this for £120 and its still leaving me gobsmacked , hearing radiohead like never before ... Best bit of kit I've bought .....
That'll be a result then :^

D

Dayvan cowboy

I'm actually really really satisfied with my kit now , I used to browse the classifieds for new bits n bobs but as it stands I want for nothing :stereo:

C

Crazytrain

I'm actually really really satisfied with my kit now , although i still browse the classifieds for new bits n bobs and as it stands I want to buy Crazytrains speakers for the spare room. :stereo:
There, that's better ;-)

D

Dayvan cowboy

Ha , nice try Paul ....

it just sounds so organic and rich .... I would even be wary trying an Apollo or even Saturn as I think it would be hard to better .also I've noticed the top end has no harshness at all and the bass is nimble and deep ....jeez she's a keeper

C

Crazytrain

Yep, the Planet's a cracking player. Owned one years ago.

D

Dayvan cowboy

I'm not going to lie but I have been known to be sceptical regarding cd spinners , having owned all manner of price ranges but this has changed my mind ...

felix

Wammer
Wammer
May 5, 2006
Baff
AKA
Martin
Excellent bit of kit.Just be aware that Rega only changed the design (2005) because Sony no longer make the chipset used in the original Planet.

If it goes wrong it is probably not repairable, but still a very good price for a very accomplished player.
+1, excellent piece of kit.The good news is that there are only two generic problems I'm aware of/have come across with the original Planet.

1) General misbehaviour or apparant death caused by internal problems and fixed by replacing the main rectifier diodes - about £1 in parts (4 x 100PIV, 3A parts for a permanent fix) and easy diy.

2) A dead laser. The KSS-240A is widely available, pretty easy to fit with only basic antistatic precautions and cheap - c.£15-20. Buy a spare anyway ;)

Werner

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 5, 2008
Antwerp, , Belgium
The Planet is lovely indeed. I won't ever get rid of mine, even though I have absolutely no use for it.

The remarkable thing here is that they made it sound the way it sounds by dirtying-up the signal, using a complete output stage on a single Sanyo chip intended for portables.

Additional proof that many people do not prefer the cleanest-possible signal.

Pete the Feet

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 9, 2010
Rochdale, , United K
AKA
Mr Feet
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have one which is now in the attic. Lovely easy sound. No difference in my system than using the newer Rega Dac.

Sent from my C1905 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opensea0