Roger Waters in Berlin, bit controversial...

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Indeed, he's his own man with his own ideas and a free-spirited thinker, with a huge platform upon which to express himself.
I find it deeply tedious when I go to a gig and the artist starts waxing political instead of doing what I paid money to see/hear.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I find it deeply tedious when I go to a gig and the artist starts waxing political instead of doing what I paid money to see/hear.
Context matters, however, in that it depends on the artist. If you go to a Billy Bragg gig, you expect politics. Equally with Waters. On the other hand, if you went to a Take That gig (not that you would) you would not really expect some lengthy diatribe about the state of the world.

Reactions: hiesteem and Leeken

mnky

Wammer
Wammer
May 3, 2013
oooh arrrrrr
AKA
Mnky
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Mrs & I saw his show last night, thought it was very good, and much more personal than his previous shows, we had a great time.

He did butcher Comfortably Numb though with his voice and the removal of the guitar solos!

I'm not sure he wore the "nazi/fascist" uniform (I certainly didn't see it on the screens) and some of his political whining became a bit tedious...

Anyway, we're off to see him next week at the O2 - with the 2 kids! (I hope they enjoy it)

--Jatinder
That's the lockdown album version of comfortably numb ....I just view it as an alternative version ..... which I prefer ... the original one is available should the mood require....😄

richard mainwaring

Wammer
Aug 13, 2017
West sussex
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think he has achieved a lot more in his career then Gilmore has i have seen every concert in the Uk since the early 70s, Pink floyd and the 2 concerts Gilmore did under the name of Floyd and all of Rogers. And Roger far exceeds Gilmore in every aspect.You all need to see past the costumes to the message they convey, he is not condoning he is condeming.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think he has achieved a lot more in his career then Gilmore has i have seen every concert in the Uk since the early 70s, Pink floyd and the 2 concerts Gilmore did under the name of Floyd and all of Rogers. And Roger far exceeds Gilmore in every aspect.You all need to see past the costumes to the message they convey, he is not condoning he is condeming.
I'm not so sure about that, though it depends how you measure it. Commercially, I would imagine Gilmour walks it. He can easily fill major stadiums, and album sales have been massive.

Artistically, it's a matter of taste of course. Frankly, I like both, though they are totally different. I have had the pleasure of experiencing Gilmour's Comfortably Numb on two occasions live, and both have been memorable. The Pompeii and Gdansk concerts are both recordings I could (and do) play frequently. But then I also like Waters' versions.

Different does not have to be better or worse, especially when they are both very good.

antonio66

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 12, 2018
Grimsby/Phnom Penh
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
@richard mainwaring Well he was pretty condeming of the other members of Floyd. I've enjoyed Pink Floyds output more sans Waters than Waters output since he went solo. I saw Floyd at Earls Court, did they miss Waters, not one bit in my opinion.

richard mainwaring

Wammer
Aug 13, 2017
West sussex
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm not so sure about that, though it depends how you measure it. Commercially, I would imagine Gilmour walks it. He can easily fill major stadiums, and album sales have been massive.

Artistically, it's a matter of taste of course. Frankly, I like both, though they are totally different. I have had the pleasure of experiencing Gilmour's Comfortably Numb on two occasions live, and both have been memorable. The Pompeii and Gdansk concerts are both recordings I could (and do) play frequently. But then I also like Waters' versions.

Different does not have to be better or worse, especially when they are both very good.
In some ways i agree but i do not think Gilmore had the artistic talent to write music. As a guitarist he is up there with the best.

Reactions: hiesteem

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Pink Floyd were Pink Floyd. They were utterly unique and one of the most wonderful bands on the planet. Together they achieved beauty. Beyond that the music of the individual members I don't seem to have connected with. My loss perhaps, but I'm not feeling it.

MusicMan76

Just do what you know to be right!
Wammer Plus
Mar 1, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Apologies if this has already been posted, but this is well worth a watch....the irony beggars belief....

Reactions: hiesteem

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Although Roger’s actual album sales are less than Pink Floyd’s and Gilmores.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Actually, among the highlights of last year's gigs was Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets tour. That was stunningly good and a superb atmosphere, but then Mason always says he plays for the fun of it, and it was evident he (and the rest of the band) were having a great time.

ziggy

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 11, 2017
Cardiff
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Actually, among the highlights of last year's gigs was Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets tour. That was stunningly good and a superb atmosphere, but then Mason always says he plays for the fun of it, and it was evident he (and the rest of the band) were having a great time.
I saw them on the tour and they were superb. Mason anounced that he gets on well with both Waters and Gilmour. Solo wise I prefer Gilmour to Waters.

Reactions: rabski

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
David Gilmour solo album sales appear to be well over 2 million. Waters solo sales are about half that. Not too scruffy on the part of Roger, but still no contest there.

• Upvote
Reactions: DomT

graham67

Wammer
Wammer
May 19, 2010
Yes this was a great tour. Great music played with passion and energy. One of the best concerts I've been to.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles