Linn Owners

Roon bought...

Goon525

Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
Yes, but that thread has no particular bearing on Linn and Roon issues, which may be better discussed on this thread. I was told by an extremely senior Linn man back in January that proper integration of Linn and Roon was imminent. But it still hasn’t happened. Does anyone here know what’s going on?

Secondly, a number of people on the other thread suggest that Qobuz listened to directly sounds better than Qobuz via Roon. In my (admittedly not massively extensive) listening comparisons, I have not identified any difference. Perhaps this is system dependent, so Linn DSMs are just better than some at making the most of the incoming signal. But I don’t know.

HIGHWAY61

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Percieved wisdom is the less links in the chain the better for Hi-Fi Nirvana. Roon lovers seem to imply it sprinkles some "fairy dust" over the sound to improve the sound so it keeps them happy.

Reactions: Ray Vardy

dol

Wammer
Feb 3, 2019
When Logitech bought slim devices there was one more generation of devices and big plans, then suddenly it was cut off. Roon will find itself in a conglomarate of so many diverse offerings, when management changes and they want to focus on the core business or reduce losses, a small outfit like roon is alway vulnerable.
Alternativly, they want to rip out some core component and integrate with other Harman products, perhaps reducing focus on the Roon application. At best it is a neutral acquisition.

stuarts

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Dec 3, 2018
Percieved wisdom is the less links in the chain the better for Hi-Fi Nirvana. Roon lovers seem to imply it sprinkles some "fairy dust" over the sound to improve the sound so it keeps them happy.
Actually my sense is that most Roon users (myself included) feel that software that delivers data to a DS or DSM device via TCP/IP and a protocol that allows the DS/DSM to control clocking is very unlikely to alter the sound in any way, so you might as well enjoy Roon’s appealing interface.

Jail4CEOs2

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
AKA
LG G2 65 OLED
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Look what happened to Palm once they were bought by HP. Less than a year later it was over.
At first blush this may seem off topic, but stay with me.

Palm was deliberately taken of the board by the elite. Everybody on the oligarchy knew mobile was going to be big.

While big American media/propaganda were still fat and happy, they were on a Napster diet, but were trying to cling to power. They had no idea of the emaciation to come, but they weren't going to go quietly into the night.

They knew apple was, and would continue to, playing ball. Oligarchs could trust them to throw sand in the gears with hostile user experience decisions like iTunes, not allowing access to the file system to store and browse media on device, and alac.

Google was happy for Palm, with their rabidly loyal fan base, and their serious patent portfolio, to be taken off the board. Google knew they had the money and the brains to win, but weren't looking for a four way fight.

Microsoft had been forced by the elites to take Skype off the board, as it was based on a peer to peer architecture that couldn't be surveilled, and was threatening the revenues of long distance telecommunication. That spend put them down a quart. They did take a hail Mary on Nokia, but they really didn't want to succeed, because they were gun shy of creating yet another monopoly after threats of anti trust action...before Bush the shrub made that go away. They did manage to take Skype's and Nokia's significant patent portfolios into the oligopoly though.

Google would later do this, once the duopoly was established, with HTC.

Palm just wasn't in the club. It had been passed around, and had greedy founders who then tried under-capitalised Handspring. They then committed the ultimate sin: releasing WebOS that could be rooted with a Konami code. Oh oh...not good for big media. So HP was told to keep these pesky people off the board, and were given their patent portfolio as the booby prize. Which was later sold to run my TV. WebOS is not rootable now, if you're keeping score.

Big media isn't really big anymore, but Roon has some parallels to Palm as an irritation. First I have to acknowledge they are a pimple on a mosquitos arse, representing twelve audiophile. They do blur the lines between your local media and the streamers though. They're not a threat, but they're a bag of patents, have a rabidly loyal following, and have a great UI. Who knows it it was founders greed to cash out, or if they were ruffling feathers with the way they integrated media info and lyrics. One thing I don't know is, do they harvest and sell their users data? If so, again, 17 audiophools data can't be worth much. It's probably just their deep understanding of all Harmon's competitors API's, plus a great interface. Linn has worked mightily on the Linn app to create something that is supposedly half of what Roon is. So Roon is a good target for anyone in the streaming world, but ultimately a pawn.

leManu

New Wammer
May 5, 2021
Vermont
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I like the Roon interface, but it keep stopping randomly on my ADSM/3, no matter what my network configuration/cable/router is. The ADSM keep responding to it's IP, so it's on the network. The stream lost icon is displayed on the front panel, and it's gone from Roon available renderer. Just opening the Linn app for a second wakes up the network and Roon find the renderer and I can press play again. Anyone has a clue?

MickC

Expert Thread Disruptor
Wammer
Oct 8, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I like the Roon interface, but it keep stopping randomly on my ADSM/3, no matter what my network configuration/cable/router is. The ADSM keep responding to it's IP, so it's on the network. The stream lost icon is displayed on the front panel, and it's gone from Roon available renderer. Just opening the Linn app for a second wakes up the network and Roon find the renderer and I can press play again. Anyone has a clue?
I don’t know the issue you have, but when I first trialled Roon some years ago I installed it on the main pc here, which, at the time, was running Windows 10. The setup worked flawlessly. After some weeks I decided to install it on an HP Microserver as the main pc was a power hungry beast, and the server was up all the time for Plex duties anyway.
The server was connected to a port on the same switch as the pc (and I tried different ports and a different switch). I had major issues, several times a day. When playing albums, at least once a day playback stopped after two tracks. The Roon marker that shows where in a track it is remained frozen. The only thing that would sort it briefly was to reboot the KDS.
I moved the core back to the main machine and all was fine again. A while later I bought an Intel NUC and installed ROCK on that and it’s been, erm, solid as a ROCK ever since.

TL;DR It might be worth running your core on a different machine temporarily, to see if that improves things.

Last edited:
Reactions: silkie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles