Linn Owners

Roon: Upcoming change to subscription prices (January 1st, 2023)

fschmeis

Wammer
Oct 29, 2018
Germany, near FFM
AKA
Frank
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
have a look at: https://community.roonlabs.com/t/upcoming-change-to-roon-subscription-prices-january-1st-2023/222476

so if you are thinking about a lifetime licence => GO FOR IT NOW

lifetime will increase fom 699 $ to 829.99 $ => new payback period for lifetime will be 5,5 years instead of 4,7 (when I purchased lifetime it was 499 $)

@Paulssurround : its time to move (y) just two weeks ago Rock was updated, it now supports UEFI boot and therefore can be installed on a NUC 11th gen => a NUC11TNHi7 is very well capable to manage a library of your size, be sure you will detect lots of new music you haven't been aware of, have a look at https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/roon-optimized-core-kit

Billz

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Oct 11, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
have a look at: https://community.roonlabs.com/t/upcoming-change-to-roon-subscription-prices-january-1st-2023/222476

lifetime will increase fom 699 $ to 829.99 $ => new payback period for lifetime will be 5,5 years instead of 4,7 (when I purchased lifetime it was 499 $)

@Paulssurround : its time to move (y) just two weeks ago Rock was updated, it now supports UEFI boot and therefore can be installed on a NUC 11th gen => a NUC11TNHi7 is very well capable to manage a library of your size, be sure you will detect lots of new music you haven't been aware of, have a look at https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/roon-optimized-core-kit
Bear in mind, that if you currently have Roon on a QNAP NAS it won’t work with your Linn DS.

Last edited:

silkie

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 9, 2018
Saffron Walden
AKA
Jon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
These things never get cheaper. I'm a Roon-lifer, haven't regretted it yet and use Roon daily as does the rest of the family. Ordered some KEF LSX II for the PC as well and they slotted right in. Just about everything has Airplay these days, all playback devices I have just integrated so well into a single pain of glass for playback. It's worth just feeling the pain and getting the order over and done with, at very least it's worth a few bob not having to mull over ROI calculations anymore. :D

Newton John

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

If I go for the Lifetime Licence at the current rate of $699 before the increase, the payback period for me will be 4.5 year because the new annual rate at next renewal in February will be $155.88.

Of course, it's gone up considerably more than the dollar rate increase for us in the UK because we've made crazy political decisions that have trashed our currency.

If it wasn't for the fact that Roon gives me playback of surround Flac and DSD files on a NUC, I'd probably dump it. If the problems I was getting hadn't been resolved recently, I would have definitely have ditched Roon. Fortunately, it is working well now bar one irritating issue with channel mapping changing every now and again.

On balance, I think I'll probably stick with annual renewal. I am not convinced that I'll still be using Roon in four or five years time.

Reactions: Paulssurround

dol

Wammer
Feb 3, 2019
Disclosure: I am a lifetime rooner..
In addition to price increases announced, for me I was surprised how usable the new Roon ARC functionality is to me.

With Roon ARC (a free download to mobile devices) I can listen to my stored collection, as well as Qobuz connected music anywhere on my mobile.

With Airplay and similar tecnologies this allows me to bring collection+qobuz everywhere I go, including in to my car.

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Thank you Frank

I‘ll need you to come back to Vancouver to set it up 😇🙏

CaptenBonScott

CaptenBonScott
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
Sweden, Luleå
AKA
Magnus Blom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The new upgraded Linn app is a step to be a little bit like Roon and Spotify, I think that even Linn will have a similar program for us Linn users in the future, so I stay with my monthly Roon and Qnap server ( that doesn't work for the moment, waiting for a fix ) :)

Reactions: Billz and akamatsu

Billz

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Oct 11, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The new upgraded Linn app is a step to be a little bit like Roon and Spotify, I think that even Linn will have a similar program for us Linn users in the future, so I stay with my monthly Roon and Qnap server ( that doesn't work for the moment, waiting for a fix ) :)
Yep, sticking with Monthly for the same reason.

Reactions: CaptenBonScott

Goodsound

New Wammer
Aug 15, 2019
Switzerland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Lifetimer here. I started with Roon 1.6 and did not regret to go lifetime. However the new Roon arc is not something I asked for, nor do I intend to use it.
Roon should still improve basics like when you search for songs of a given artist in your library, it only finds the songs on albums you have, songs on compilations are ignored and thus not give you a full overview.
Also for not so popular songs cross references are missing (amount of variants).

TomBl

Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales.
AKA
Tom Bloomfield
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have just started a trial period for Roon.
Whilst I like it I am not sure that I want to spend that much money on it. At around 50$ I wouldn’t hesitate.
The Linn app is good on my iPad so might stick with that and Qobuz.
I gave up on my QNAP after the third ransomware attack. I now have a basic Synology NAS with a 1Tb SSD. 600 downloaded albums backed up elsewhere.
so far, so good.

entdgc

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Congleton, England
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I gave up on my QNAP after the third ransomware attack. I now have a basic Synology NAS with a 1Tb SSD. 600 downloaded albums backed up elsewhere.
so far, so good.
I hope you have taken precautions to isolate the Synology from the web as they are just as vulnerable as QNAP. It may be QNAP this year but Synology's time will come....

Nestor Turton

Nestor Turton
Wammer
Jan 30, 2019
Nowhere in Particular
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have just started a trial period for Roon.
Whilst I like it I am not sure that I want to spend that much money on it. At around 50$ I wouldn’t hesitate.
The Linn app is good on my iPad so might stick with that and Qobuz.
so far, so good.
You have to keep in mind what a malicious program can do if it gets access to your network shares. For instance, encrypts your data; chances of anyone decrypting these data without the key are astronomical. I’ll probably be at the Restaurant at the End of the Universe before it happens.

I rip CDs and edit downloads on a MacBook and transfer FLACs to a music server by USB stick. Server only runs MacOS Catalina and JRiver MC. I clone the music server to an external disk and backup my FLACs. Not a Roon user, but wouldn’t use anything like Roon ARC. Prefer SD Card for on the move. I’m paranoid about security and still don’t feel immune to getting caught out.

Newton John

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've been using Roon exclusively for the past couple of years. Now, I am considering whether to renew for another year. So I set up dBpoweramp Asset and tried out Kazoo and Linn App.

Using the Linn control software, I enjoyed the music more. I can't pin down exactly what the difference is from using Roon. It just feels better. I am open to the suggestion that this may be psychosomatic.

Although I missed Roon's integration of Qobuz with my local library, I preferred the treatment of local files in the Linn App. I like having folders for each initial letter with sub folders for artists and then another sub level of folders for albums.

Of course, Roon also adds more in the way of processing, better utility, a surround sound source, conversion of DSD to PCM on the fly and the ability to play music from home on the car sound system via my phone. Having said all of that I do like the simple elegance of the Linn App.

Last edited:

Billz

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Oct 11, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You have to keep in mind what a malicious program can do if it gets access to your network shares. For instance, encrypts your data; chances of anyone decrypting these data without the key are astronomical. I’ll probably be at the Restaurant at the End of the Universe before it happens.

I rip CDs and edit downloads on a MacBook and transfer FLACs to a music server by USB stick. Server only runs MacOS Catalina and JRiver MC. I clone the music server to an external disk and backup my FLACs. Not a Roon user, but wouldn’t use anything like Roon ARC. Prefer SD Card for on the move. I’m paranoid about security and still don’t feel immune to getting caught out.
It’s fairly simple to set up security on the QNAP (and I presume other NAS drives as well), just create a new user name and delete the Admin account. I know this from experience having been hit with a ransom attack a couple of years back. Fortunately I had a back up and was back up and running in no time. I also use the QNAP security apps and check and update the firmware regularly.

Ideally, I would prefer Roon Rock on a NUC, but you can’t install the Linn app along with Roon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles