Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2011
North Devon
AKA
As above
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A thoughtful gift from John the beer drinking Latvian, sent by him in a recent parcel of LPs, is this:

IMG_4257.jpg

Sleeve notes say they met while studying at the Royal College of Music.

It has turned out to be one of this household's favourites for the last week with the present Mrs F insisting often that we 'play it again.'

Actually, my profound thanks to John are due. These two pianists - never encountered by me before, for all that says - play an assortment of sweeties with real commitment and verve. It's pianism in the Stephen Hough mould: technically clean with, if it was speech, great diction, while at the same time being seriously musical. Their own fantasy on a theme of G&S which closes the recording is sharp and very amusing, but there's also some very nicely judged more serious stuff. Poulenc, Brahms, Dvorak. And a reading of Benjamin's Jamaican Rumba that had us both wobbling, faux Strictly stylee, around the kitchen last night.

Oh, but check out the 'they have landed' stares in the cover photo. Scary!

I recommend it.

/monthly_2013_06/IMG_0025.jpg.0092b2ccb83c357f10af04c5d9543086.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0025.jpg
    IMG_0025.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 27

themadlatvian

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 28, 2008
Huddersfield
AKA
John
Thanks Kevin. It is interesting that you mention Stephen Hough in your text - I have had the great joy of working with him at Holy Name in Manchester, a superb musician and excellent fellow.

Thank you for your appreciation here also - frankly very humbling.

Really glad you are enjoying the music.

:^

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online