Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2006
Yellowbellyshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've been using a Mayware T-24 step-up transformer (very kindly loaned to me by a fellow PFM'er) for the past few days and been really enjoying what it brings to my system. I've had SUT's before, but despite liking what they do, I could never get rid of the blasted hum - different cables/earthing configs/positioning - you name it, I could never get rid.

Anyway, imagine my joy when I plugged the Mayware in and hurrah! Almost utter silence (in a good way) with no more noise than using the MM stage in my Sony amp, and that's seriously quiet (quiter than the already quiet Dino). It would appear that the hum may have been a local issue as we now live in a different house.

I've gone on bended knee (metaphorically, natch) to the owner of the Mayware to sell it to me but he's not selling. I don't blame him - I wouldn't either. :)

So, what I'm asking is - does anyone have any experience of the Rothwell MC1? It seems to get good press, is nothing fancy, but would appear to be a good honest product at a highly competitive price (£280). From the specs it would appear a good match for the Benz cartridge too. I'm very aware that with SUT's you tend to get what you pay for but as I found with the Noteworthy StepNote there are some really good ones, slightly under the radar, that can sound excellent.

Thanks for any input. :)

uncl_nigel

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 23, 2008
SE France
AKA
Nigel
I have just plugged my usually hibernating Rothwell SUT (does not say anything other than "Rothwell "on the case) into one of the Thea's inputs set to MM and compared that set up to the usual MC setting on the Rhea - the Rothwell held up well.

Gromit

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2006
Yellowbellyshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks Nigel. I see Rothwell do 2 models of SUT now, the MC1 (at the aforementioned price) and the MCL at just under 500 quid. Would be interesting to find out if yours is an earlier version of the 1 or the L.

Of course if someone reading this thread knows of (or has) an SUT they want to move on then I'm open to suggestions. It would have to work with the Benz which has a coil impedance of 12 ohms.

Smooth Operator

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 4, 2012
Ludlow, UK
AKA
Peter
On the basis of your last posting, Gromit, I'm probably a bit late here but I use a Rothwell MCL (this is the version fitted with Lundhal transformers) and am very pleased with it. The MCLs are a fairly recent introduction and are identified as 'MCLs' on the front plate, rather than 'MC1s'. I think also from a conversation with Andrew Rothwell that the MCLs are produced in relatively small quantities.

Gromit

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2006
Yellowbellyshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hugo - the owner of the Mayware has decided to sell it to me so I'm well chuffed. It does sound very good indeed, a lot better than I had been expecting if I'm honest and it's just so quiet - no noisier than the Sony's MM stage (already v quiet) on its own.

Peter - I've a feeling the MCL would've ended up on my shortlist, it does appear to have received a lot of praise around the www.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles