Rufus Wainright

G

Craig wrote:

Not buying all 5 cd's at once, so Rufus fans; where's the best place to start?
Would it be crass to say don't bother and listen to his father's albums
icon_redface.gif.eb51a1f92a0314cdfc14dd3cb4473da1.gif

I've a couple, self-titled and Poses. Bore me rigid I'm afraid, actually they irritate rather than bore. His voice really grates, I find his melodies rather tedious andlimited in terms of hitting that spot.His best performance by a country mile is one of his father's songs 'One Man Guy' on Poses.It beats any of his own compositions into a cocked hat IMHO.

CJ is quite a fan and will probably be along to give you an appraisal of his work, I know he really rates him and he will chastise my poor taste
smile.png

G

I have Poses and Want 2 and i'm in Sum's camp on this one. I just can't find the hook. Now i know Cjr is a fan and normally we are not too far apart on taste so if i can be cheeky check out my fav album today. Its a Colin reco and bloody brilliant to boot.

T.white

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 31, 2005
South Wales, , Unite
I understand what the above comments are getting at. He does have a voice that is a kind of droning whine, but, it's something you'll either like or not in the same way anything else is I guess.

The best album to buy by a mile is Want One, it's a very, very strong album and doesn't really have much of a weak spot in my opinion. his other albums are a little more hit and miss,being a mixture ofgood and not so good.

I found his music grew on me, it certainly wasn't immediate, but still, Want One is the album I'd listen to above any of the others, time and again.

Very good live performer too.

ray70

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 2, 2005
Rufus Wainright is a love him or hate him type artist - personally, I love him. Want One and Want Two are a good place to start.

If you like show tunes
costumed-smiley-088.gif.0d430dec15178e12a2ae10e497cd4e9e.gif
, which I do
icon_redface.gif.eb51a1f92a0314cdfc14dd3cb4473da1.gif
, then you'll probably like him.

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
Craig wrote:

OK, will get Want One, and I'll see how I get along with it. I have also set about getting the Tom Baxter which, having heard some of his songs (http://www.tombaxter.co.uk/songs/videos/youtube-tfg.php) I feel certain is gonna be a winner chez moi, so cheers for that tip, Danny, and Colin
Rufus & Tom Baxter in one thread an excellent music thread chaps.

Craig - Actually a lot of people I introduce to Rufus find he "whines" a lot, but he is just my taste, anyway Craig some excellent replies above, if I may suggest another tact here why not try his live DVD :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rufus-Wainwright-All-I-Want/dp/B0009A21NA/ref=pd_bowtega_1/203-7636454-4909538?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1175203087&sr=1-1

If anyone can tell me how to edit it shorter than that I'll do it - I keep forgetting how to URL link. i am also pretty sure you can buy this DVD with Want Two attached as a "special".

The DVD ispretty stunning and covers all his work up to Want One IIRC, all his albums have some very good tracks on them and some duffers, ie album one RW - has 2 tracks to me which are classic Rufus, Baby & Beauty Mark, moving onto Poses is the same, I actually like Want One better than Want Two - but both are excellent albums, and finally if you get a chance to get Burt Baccarachs last album, the stand out track is a Rufus fronted "Go ask Shakespeare". Errr other than that, I have a MD recording of Rufus and his sister Martha singing at Glastonbury 2004, a beautiful acoustic guitar number which is one of my most treasured pieces of music.

When the man connects musically it just hits me square between the eyes.

Sum - Bedspread no need to apologise for your musical tastes, you guys have probably the most similar musical tastes to mine on any hifi board I have used.
wink.png
. (well mostly
47_47.gif.482d183844f69ef6dec537ae753f214d.gif
)

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have decided to know nothing, but hear his name in 'The Roches' context.

Probably Loudon Wainwright 111 stupid prat name.

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Apologies to people who choose/use silly names.

The few Wainwright albums/songs I have heard have been 'alright', but I cannot recommend purchase to anyone.

Some LW111 songs etc in some films have been good fun.

I like 'Rufus' doing Lennie Cohen 'Halleluja' with sister-ish Lucy Roche-Wainwright .. (somewhere on Youtube methinks).

PAG

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 1, 2005
Wirral.
AKA
si
I bought "want one", then "want 2" unfortunately, i didn`t want either after a while!

G

PAG wrote:

I bought "want one", then "want 2" unfortunately, i didn`t want either after a while!
Yep,yep,yep. Try Tom Baxter . " Feather and Stone"

jtc

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 10, 2007
Fife Riviera, UK
AKA
John
Apparently Rufus is a tit man. Pity nobody told him
wink.gif.25d7e4815f6a2fee62f4117deebb27e0.gif

For me: I recommend skipping the Wainwrights, and going straight for their family friends the Thompsons - Richard, Linda and their son Teddy...

...though to answer the question, I quite like "Poses", but it took a bit of persistance.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Louis_067