Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Truly sorry to hear Dicy, I bought the Chomecast from you, really happy for you to keep it and just refund me if that helps keep you in tunes. Just message me, Cheers, Ian.

Edit: Or I can post it back - don't feel you need to honour the sale at all, I've got plenty of music here 🙂. Seriously, do it !

Last edited by a moderator:

justinhd

Wammer
Aug 25, 2016
London
AKA
Justin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Who was the trusted Wammer ??
I have never been on Facebook and never will .. it’s the dirge of mankind especially for children, Diane is responsible for the safeguarding and pastoral care of 15,000 school children and says that Facebook and the like are responsible for 80% of children’s anxieties and family problems .. 
It’s full of Fake news and Fake people . But the genie is out of the box And the power’s that be will never be able to put it back ..It’s the perfect platform for people who have no moral fortitude..
As the account is still active I won’t mention the name but it was stood up in 2010 with a good reputation (400+). The account was likely hacked and that’s how I was scammed. If I am to purchase again I will be sure to call them first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote
Reactions: bigrod

simon g

Senior Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2006
No linger active on this forum
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I got scammed by a “trusted wammer” so no guarantee that you are safe. Remind yourself that there is no “rush” to get your gear asap regardless of how keen you are to get it hooked up to your system. A genuine seller will allow you to take a bit of time. A dead giveaway is if the seller is overly keen to process payment or (in my experience) does not have a sound command of the English language. Avoid PayPal F&F - the surcharge for Goods & Services is a good insurance. Certainly avoid Facebook (it’s a scampit). Gumtree is better but the same governance should apply. Lots of fake gear about as well on FB and gumtree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's an understandable POV. However, I certainly wouldn't accept a 'standard' PayPal payment from you, or most others tbh. The scam works both ways; suppose you pay by PayPal, I send the item, then you say that you only received a few bricks, or whatever. Most likely scenario is that PayPal will refund you leaving me out of pocket. This is a common scam and why many don't use eBay.

On the quick payment front; I'm in all in favour of that. If someone says that they definitely want to buy something of mine, then they need to be willing and able to pay immediately by the agreed method. I've lost count of the times I'v ve had a firm "I'll have that' only for the 'buyer to then disappear or withdraw. I've even turned up at agreed hand over points, a couple of hours away, only for the wammer not to turn up. This is a waste of everyone's time, plus it makes it hard to respond to others who also might want the item, but the original 'buyer' came in first.

My view is this: I have sold dozens of items over 15+ years on here and elsewhere. I always provide good photos and will respond to questions. My gear is always immaculate, often indistinguishable from new. If that's not good enough, then so be it. It's payment by BT, or cash on collection, or PayPal F&F to 'buyers' with some kind of history or who are known to me. Scams are usually fairly easy to detect (as in this particular case); sensible caution is all that is required.

dicy

Veteran Wammer
Wammer
Apr 24, 2006
Lewes
AKA
Rich
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Truly sorry to hear Dicy, I bought the Chomecast from you, really happy for you to keep it and just refund me if that helps keep you in tunes. Just message me, Cheers, Ian.

Edit: Or I can post it back - don't feel you need to honour the sale at all, I've got plenty of music here 🙂. Seriously, do it !
Cheers mate, that’s really good of you. I did PM you on PFM to explain things before I posted this.

I’ll keep in touch over the next few days

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Very sorry to read about this Richard. I was scammed this year via a facebook group connected to tape cassettes and players. I posted a 'walkman' to a guy in Romania for a repair and I've not had it back. 

I have used paypal f&f with strangers in the past because I believe in doing favours. But why in this world I don't know. 

myles

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 27, 2008
Plymouth
AKA
Myles
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Unsurprisingly a gentleman once again. Nice one Ian. 

Re. buying and selling on here, we are a trusting lot and 99% of sales go smoothly with mutual trust in payment up front, honest descriptions etc. Long may it last. 

h.g.

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 2, 2013
If you paid by credit card through PPFF you can talk to your card  issuer and ask them to initiate a chargeback, and 9/10 you should win it. Will take a while though.
I am pretty sure this is not true. The card company dealt with paypal/facebook (or whoever the intermediary was) and that transaction was fine. They have no knowledge of the seller. They will most likely tell you to sort it out with paypal/facebook (or whoever the intermediary was). If you want full credit card protection then the credit card company must deal directly with your seller. If you do so and can show the seller is at fault then the chances of getting your money back are pretty much 10/10 because this is a significant part of what the higher credit card charges are covering. Should people start to believe they might not get their money back using a credit card (appropriately) the credit card companies would soon lose all their customers using cards for protection rather than a months credit. This is likely to be their more profitable customers.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am pretty sure this is not true. The card company dealt with paypal/facebook (or whoever the intermediary was) and that transaction was fine. They have no knowledge of the seller. They will most likely tell you to sort it out with paypal/facebook (or whoever the intermediary was). If you want full credit card protection then the credit card company must deal directly with your seller. If you do so and can show the seller is at fault then the chances of getting your money back are pretty much 10/10 because this is a significant part of what the higher credit card charges are covering. Should people start to believe they might not get their money back using a credit card (appropriately) the credit card companies would soon lose all their customers using cards for protection rather than a months credit. This is likely to be their more profitable customers.
It depends on the amount, if it's over £100 then you have more protection. You can do a chargeback if it's over £100 but I'm not sure if you use Paypal friends what that entails. 

h.g.

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 2, 2013
It depends on the amount, if it's over £100 then you have more protection. You can do a chargeback if it's over £100 but I'm not sure if you use Paypal friends what that entails. 
Credit card protection (which is good and what you want) only applies if the credit card company is dealing with the seller directly. Here is a summary. If you deal with an intermediary like paypal, facebook or whoever and there is nothing wrong with the transaction between the credit card company and the intermediary then the credit card company is not involved. You will have to deal with the intermediary and if it is paypal they do not have a good track record unlike credit card companies. No idea about facebook but my expectations would be pretty low.

Alexxus

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 30, 2008
Romania
AKA
Eddie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Very sorry to read about this Richard. I was scammed this year via a facebook group connected to tape cassettes and players. I posted a 'walkman' to a guy in Romania for a repair and I've not had it back. 

I have used paypal f&f with strangers in the past because I believe in doing favours. But why in this world I don't know. 
Facebook is the essence of evil, no matter which way you want to consider it. I used to use it until a couple years ago, but exclusively to have a poke at whatever celebrity or politician idiot was the focus of media's attention that day or week, and also to follow a few artists I liked. They eventually booted me out, because I wouldn't follow their 'community rules'. Best thing that happened to me for the past decade.

Anyways, I wouldn't dream of buying or selling anything on FB. I did buy on e-bay from various people from the UK and the US, never had any problems. I bought my MF A5 CD player from a gentleman up North like that and also an AVI integrated amp, I forget where from, but definitely somewhere within the UK. They didn't even want to sell abroad, before I messaged them and politely asked if they'd bend the rules for me. I'm bringing it up because I'm Romanian and your post, which surely was not meant to, I hasten to say, sort of rubbed me the wrong way.

There's crooks everywhere, I don't think the country of provenance is relevant, is what I mean. I would buy from the Wam and send the money up front, but not from someone with a 5 post count. And I wouldn't dream of asking for gear to be sent to me before payment, that's for sure. I also don't believe in people dragging their feet until they pay. If you commit to buying something and you don't have the money ready, you're apt to be playing games, to put it very politely. On the other hand, you can easily get shafted, whichever way the transaction is going, so it's a bit of a toss up. As unreliable as eBay is, at least you do get some indication from the user's feedback, they have that going for them.

Reactions: yespsb and Rtrt

Gray

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 24, 2019
My wife has offered to replace the money as an early birthday pressie
Take some consolation from the fact that you've got a great wife.

If it was up to me, convicted scammers would be 'rehabilitated', but not in the way that the do-gooder, human rights brigade would advocate.

• Haha
Reactions: Nifkin and robbyrtp

Strider

Show me your Fooses
Wammer Plus
Jan 16, 2006
Here and there
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It puts you right off any social media interaction when it comes to spending money especially when its more than a few £££.

I got had on FB marketplace too, it was 16 Gb of Corsair 3200 RGB Pro DDR4, price was about £20 below average, seemed like a really nice guy and I offered to pay a little extra postage so he wasn't out of pocket. Little b'stard disappeared from the face of the earth once he had my money, I'm still riled about this six months later - "George Oakwood", I haven't forgotten and I have a really good memory for faces....   

Reactions: antonio66

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It puts you right off any social media interaction when it comes to spending money especially when its more than a few £££.

I got had on FB marketplace too, it was 16 Gb of Corsair 3200 RGB Pro DDR4, price was about £20 below average, seemed like a really nice guy and I offered to pay a little extra postage so he wasn't out of pocket. Little b'stard disappeared from the face of the earth once he had my money, I'm still riled about this six months later - "George Oakwood", I haven't forgotten and I have a really good memory for faces....   
It maybe a fake profile, not even his image or it could be a hacked FB account. I know someone who had their FB account hacked, caused a lot of trouble and FB took weeks to sort it out. Policing of social media sites needs to be improved considerably.

Reactions: Strider

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
About 10 years ago my kids kept on at me to get on FB so could keep in contact. I registered, spent about 20 mins over the course of a week looking around then deleted my account. I decided I had better things to do with my life than broadcast the fact that I'd just had a dump and was now eating a bacon sandwich. 

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
About 10 years ago my kids kept on at me to get on FB so could keep in contact. I registered, spent about 20 mins over the course of a week looking around then deleted my account. I decided I had better things to do with my life than broadcast the fact that I'd just had a dump and was now eating a bacon sandwich. 
I did exactly the same John FB is a load of tosh....

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I thought that was twitter 😀

I'm on FB but hardly post anything but good to see what friends/family are doing. 

Strider

Show me your Fooses
Wammer Plus
Jan 16, 2006
Here and there
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It maybe a fake profile, not even his image or it could be a hacked FB account. I know someone who had their FB account hacked, caused a lot of trouble and FB took weeks to sort it out. Policing of social media sites needs to be improved considerably.
I totally agree, although he had lots of 'friends' they all seemed fictitious too once I'd done some digging around. I had to close the studio's FB page because it was hacked twice, two people got stung after paying up front for practice space - we've never taken money over social media.   

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.