Scrape on speaker dust cap

jon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
, ,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've just acquired some new speakers. They've got unusual-looking dust caps - think they're floating dust caps, as described here http://www.300guitars.com/articles/dust-caps-the-deal-on-dust-caps-by-anthony-lucas/ - and there's a small scrape/scratch on one of them.

There's pics here http://www.flickr.com/photos/96845896@N03/ Two questions, really - doesn't seem like a likely cause of problems, but unusual-looking things so I don't know if I'm right? Also, does having this type of cap make them easier/harder to change if it does come to that?

Thanks!

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That is not the dust cap. That is the end of the pole piece. Lots of manufacturers don't bother with a cap.

dsc2406zr.jpg

jon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
, ,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks, and doh - I had wondered if it was the end of the pole piece, but thought it looked a bit dust-cap-like.

Predictable next question, then - would a scratch on the end of the pole piece be a likely problem?

HoopsOnToast

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 6, 2006
Oxfordshire
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Thanks, and doh - I had wondered if it was the end of the pole piece, but thought it looked a bit dust-cap-like.Predictable next question, then - would a scratch on the end of the pole piece be a likely problem?
Nope, not at all. Wont make any difference apart from your OCD :D

jon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
, ,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks! So, if I've understood things right, it's the speaker cone that vibrates (making nice music :) ) while the pole piece is part of the magnetic assembly that generates the force needed for this?

I'll try to watch the OCD ;)

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks! So, if I've understood things right, it's the speaker cone that vibrates (making nice music :) ) while the pole piece is part of the magnetic assembly that generates the force needed for this?I'll try to watch the OCD ;)
And to dissipate heat in the coil when in use.

jon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
, ,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks - learned something new about speakers, anyway! Sensitivity in the low 80s, and 4ohm - so suspect they may have a bit of heat to dissipate?

Now, after all that I just need to make sure I don't drop them next time I'm moving them round :)

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks - learned something new about speakers, anyway! Sensitivity in the low 80s, and 4ohm - so suspect they may have a bit of heat to dissipate?Now, after all that I just need to make sure I don't drop them next time I'm moving them round :)
With spec's like that, Just make sure your amp is up to the task ;-)

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I from experience/having forked out much in many places advise you suitably-safely to maximise your perception of your stuff/enjoy suitably.

Sometimes stuff that looks naff sounds fine.

I confess that I need my stuff to look brill to sound ace.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online