Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Basingstoke, , Unite
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
One of my CDs' got damaged in the car by not putting it back in its case.
sad.png
Last 3 tracks were unplayable and you could see the damage. Using Autosol metal polish mixed with T cut, I was able to restore the CD:). It took a while and i would see how many seconds would pass before it started to skip and each polish gained a few more. Took about 30 minutes. Not sure if this will be a long term repair but at least i can do a rip and burn now. Hope this tip is of use:?

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif

anyone know why tracks stutter and skip occasionally...like a stammer then a jump, when there's no visible problem on the CD surface?

G

Yes thanks Andi. Always put your cd's back in their cases. Thats a good tip for everyone;)

Dannish

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Basingstoke, , Unite
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
rockmeister wrote:

anyone know why tracks stutter and skip occasionally...like a stammer then a jump, when there's no visible problem on the CD surface?
It can be hard to see defects. As i polished the damaged disc, visable damage was almost impossible to see. Just a slight mottling in the plastic

U

Umberto

rockmeister wrote:

Have they been left in sunlight? Sometimes this can damage the refelctive layer.

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Cambs, , United King
Davewhityetagain wrote:

brasso T cut and smokers toothpaste are all good for cds needing marks removed
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif
never heard of that before! :lmao::lmao:

is it full of heavy abrasives to get those nasty yellow/orange stains out? :puke::puke:

kennyk

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Biscuit wrote:

Davewhityetagain wrote:

is it full of heavy abrasives to get those nasty yellow/orange stains out? :puke::puke:
yep, pretty much.
smile.png

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I always use a white toothpaste (the gell ones don't normally have an abrasive). Another method is to rip the cd using EAC. It has recovered music from discs that have been terribly mistreated. Burn the resulting files to a CDR at slow speeds and voila!

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
Biscuit wrote:

Davewhityetagain wrote:

Smokers tooth paste has abrasives in it does disks no problem

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Great news...compare this with the vinyl cleaning "oh my god don't touch that surface with anything less than a purpose built machine" thread. Smokers toothpaste Dave...top reply!
smile.png

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
rockmeister wrote:

Great news...compare this with the vinyl cleaning "oh my god don't touch that surface with anything less than a purpose built machine" thread. Smokers toothpaste Dave...top reply!
smile.png
tis true
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif
:cool: tried it in fact have spent weeks testing stuff to repair cds with good knows how many x boxes marks one two threes :Dplay stations and little cubes that take small disks, I have my work cut out repairing disks for the kids
smile.png

E

earl of sodbury

rockmeister wrote:

If the disc is OK, then it's (worst case) a dying laser unit or(best case/most likely) dirt/dust on the pick-up lens.

If the case is easy to open you can get-in and carefully swab it off with a soft paintbrush and a little IPA, or if not, a "cleaner" CD with brushes will do the job. Clean the little brushes with IPA after use so as not to wipe the crud back on next time you use it...

churz, eofs

E

earl of sodbury

rockmeister wrote:

sodders...what's IPA? Is it something like industrial alcohol?
sorry, isopropyl alcohol (AKA 2-propanol, CH3-CH(OH)-CH3 )

blag some from the chem lab...
wink.png

mikedefacto

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 1, 2005
Liverpool
AKA
Mike
rockmeister wrote:

smile.png
am going off to rub smoker's toothpaste into all my records see if they play better
smile.png

kennyk

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
earl of sodbury wrote:

rockmeister wrote:
sodders...what's IPA? Is it something like industrial alcohol?
sorry, isopropyl alcohol (AKA 2-propanol, CH3-CH(OH)-CH3 )

blag some from the chem lab...
wink.png
pharmacist should be able to sell some too. you have to explain what you want it for. bought a bottle years ago for cleaning tape heads. nowadays you get funny looks when you mention tapes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles