Just me
Wammer Plus
Apr 2, 2010
Near Portsmouth
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I started putting together a For Sale advert for these speakers as we are redecorating and decided that it is time for them to be replaced by something slimmer and lighter (they weigh 30kgs each).

https://s1176.photobucket.com/user/chrisph35/media/SD 5 Speakers/SD5-Fronts Covered.jpg.html?sort=4&o=3 

https://s1176.photobucket.com/user/chrisph35/media/SD 5 Speakers/SD5 front uncovered.jpg.html?sort=4&o=0 

So whilst checking out their condition to include details in the advert I discovered a few problems.

1.   The tweeter position on one of the speakers looked wrong

2.   A hairline crack in one of the cabinets – the cabinets are not made of wood or MDF but from inert, gravity-cast PBM (synthetic resin

Photo of crack ->

https://s1176.photobucket.com/user/chrisph35/media/SD 5 Speakers/SD5 - crack.jpg.html?sort=4&o=1 

So, I started to investigate and found I could access the slipped tweeter by removing the driver below it and was able to re-fix the tweeter in place.  Hurrah.

As for problem 2 a similar approach followed, removing the lowest driver, to gain access to the lower end of the speaker where the crack had appeared. Sure enough I could feel the crack on the inside so mixed up a load of Araldite and applied to the crack.  Feeling rather pleased with myself I started packing up and then noticed another crack on the front of the same speaker!

So, I have given up on repairing this speaker and will now put be putting a different for sale ad up to offer the drivers.  I cannot imagine anyone wanting one good SD5 speaker and one with some dodgy cracks.

Hoping a knowledgable Wammer may know what the actual driver types are for the mids and bass.  I could not see any details written on the drivers and I have googled left, right and centre for the information but no joy yet.

I do have details for the tweeter from the sale thread for these speakers as below.

“Original DTR 25E (Emit-R) tweeters, which are prone to burning out, have been updated with new, highly regarded Vifa Tymphany XT25TG30-04 1" Dual Ring Radiator Tweeters.”

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would repair the speaker and apply a nice vinyl wrap to cover up the repairs :)  

Other than that, I hope someone comes up with what drivers were employed.  Over the years I think they used a variety of speakers from SEAS, Dynaudio and Vifa but buggered if I know.

chrisph

Just me
Wammer Plus
Apr 2, 2010
Near Portsmouth
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Uzzy, thanks for the vinyl wrap idea.  

Currently not sure it is worth me spending more money on Araldite or similar, plus buying vinyl wrap and then trying to sell them but will mull it over as an alternative to just selling the drivers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Chris, have a word with Carl, @Shakey_Studioincar he knows what he's doing with refinishing speakers. Provided you've got a good repair on the inside (Araldite reinforced with bedsheet or similar) then filler and a respray & polish would cover all sins. 

Reactions: chrisph

chrisph

Just me
Wammer Plus
Apr 2, 2010
Near Portsmouth
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Chris, have a word with Carl, @Shakey_Studioincar he knows what he's doing with refinishing speakers. Provided you've got a good repair on the inside (Araldite reinforced with bedsheet or similar) then filler and a respray & polish would cover all sins. 
Cheers John, I shall get in touch with Carl. He may also be able to help me out on repainting my AE2 speakers.  Now trying to find a cheap source of Araldite as both cracks are about four inches long so need quite a large amount to go either side of the crack to give it some structural integrity.  Wondered if the fibreglass resin repair packs would be suitable.

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Cheers John, I shall get in touch with Carl. He may also be able to help me out on repainting my AE2 speakers.  Now trying to find a cheap source of Araldite as both cracks are about four inches long so need quite a large amount to go either side of the crack to give it some structural integrity.  Wondered if the fibreglass resin repair packs would be suitable.
Some car fillers (two part polyester) may do the job - and there is this stuff https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/bondo-us/  Looks like it might be just the ticket ..  on the inside some fibre glass sheeting and resin will give structural stability and stop the crack from pulling further apart perhaps?

chrisph

Just me
Wammer Plus
Apr 2, 2010
Near Portsmouth
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Uzzy, looks like some good stuff indeed.  Lurch has suggested a trip to Poundland to get some araldite along with some cloth, which should work along the same lines as the fibre glass sheeting.  Will try that first and see how it goes.  Thanks again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles