Linn Owners

Selekt DSM Upgrades

macfan

LP12 Newbie
Wammer
Feb 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Over the last few days it has been interesting to learn about the new upgrades for the original SDSM and the new Selekt Edition. This post is focused on those of us with the original SDSM and our options, as well as some thoughts on both Edition and Klimax DSM.

The 10k foot view

• It seems the most cost effective upgrade is to simply upgrade the Katalyst DAC to Organik if you already have a stereo line out card. The physical process of the upgrade appears it will be easy and straight forward.
  • If we are feeling a bit adventurous, we could opt for purchasing the dual mono cards and then the dual mono Organic option. While I appreciate the approach and will consider this path, I find the cost of the dual mono line out cards interesting. It would be nice to know what the differences are in the mono cards vs. the stereo card from a technical and sound perspective. At "$1,950 Mono line out cartridge sold as pair" it is over 50% more than the "$598 Stereo line out cartridge" (if we bought two of them). While the delta is not huge, is this simply the cost of two physical parts vs one? Could there be a sound difference in the mono cards vs. the stereo card? Will be interesting to eventually hear this, but if anyone has reports from the field please chime in.
  • Same question for the dual mono Organik DAC modules as well. The cost of this one does not seem too bad at "$7,150 Mono Organik DAC sold as pair" when one considers the stereo module is $4,225. The big question I have here is if a SDSM is equipped in a dual mono configuration and the upgraded power supply, and the Klimax DSM is not a dual mono design, could the SDSM in theory out perform to NGKDSM? Are there differences in the analog output stages or are the same same topology?

As the underlying technology of these two systems move closer together, the physical layout and touch points like case work seem to become the major differentiators. But since we are focused on the sound of the music, once a SDSM Classic is set up with Organik or one gets an SDSM Edition, what will be the true sound differences between these systems?

As for myself, I can see going for the stereo Organik upgrade and possibly the dual mono upgrade but would like to "exit market" at some point. What do you all plan to do?

HIGHWAY61

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Wait a couple of years and buy the best sounding on the pre-owned market. By then there will be proof, not speculation on the way to go. At Linn's new prices its awfully simple to make an expensive mistake, and like buying a new flash car, it's probably lost 30% of its value as soon as you get it out of the box.

Nestor Turton

Nestor Turton
Wammer
Jan 30, 2019
Nowhere in Particular
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@HIGHWAY61 - seems best move. Unless there’s an astounding trade-in on ADSM, I’ll stick.

New Selekt has improved power supply: what impact it will have?

How will max’d out new Selekt compare with Organik upgrade to old style KDSM? In price & performance?

How will max’d out new Selekt compare with Organik & PSU upgrade to old style KDSM? In price & performance?

Does NGKDSM have dual Organik?

Do I really need to upgrade anything to enjoy playing Lola vs The Powerman on The Moneygoround Part One? And what ever happened to Part Two?

Questions, questions, questions … I think I’ll take a pause and hang another Roger Dean poster on the wall.

As for myself, I can see going for the stereo Organik upgrade and possibly the dual mono upgrade but would like to "exit market" at some point. What do you all plan to do?

Can we ever “Exit”, when the torture never stops? There is always next year’s model.

Last edited:

entdgc

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Congleton, England
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@macfan - I have never heard a Selekt of any generation, nor an Organic DAC in ay model nor even a Katalyst! So I may have little to add. But a couple of thoughts anyway...

1. Would Linn have bothered producing both Stereo and Mono boards unless there is a sound improvement in going mono? We have heard in the past how a big an improvement can be gained from separation of stereo channels (think Klimax Kontrol/1). Is there some other technical reason (other than sound quality) for having dual mono units that I am not understanding?

2. Do you think that Linn would produce a cheaper unit than the full fat NGKDS that sounded better? I don't. Accepted the NGKDS is yet to get the new Utopik PSU but I don't believe that would be sufficient to make the Selekt sound better than a NGKDS.

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Can we ever “Exit”, when the torture never stops? There is always next year’s model.
Best way is to avoid forums like this, manufacturers websites and emails, visiting dealers etc. I managed to keep off the merry go round for 20 years when I had aktiv Kabers. Then I fell off the wagon…

’troll

Goon525

Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
The price difference between the two boxes seems huge. Granted there are some cosmetic changes in the Edition, which seems a lot blingier. It may well offer improved separation between the units inside. But I’m struggling to understand where roughly four grand is going in terms of sound quality.

maddog_007

maddog_007
Wammer
Oct 17, 2018
Waterfoot ,Glasgow
AKA
dennis
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Over the last few days it has been interesting to learn about the new upgrades for the original SDSM and the new Selekt Edition. This post is focused on those of us with the original SDSM and our options, as well as some thoughts on both Edition and Klimax DSM.

The 10k foot view

• It seems the most cost effective upgrade is to simply upgrade the Katalyst DAC to Organik if you already have a stereo line out card. The physical process of the upgrade appears it will be easy and straight forward.
  • If we are feeling a bit adventurous, we could opt for purchasing the dual mono cards and then the dual mono Organic option. While I appreciate the approach and will consider this path, I find the cost of the dual mono line out cards interesting. It would be nice to know what the differences are in the mono cards vs. the stereo card from a technical and sound perspective. At "$1,950 Mono line out cartridge sold as pair" it is over 50% more than the "$598 Stereo line out cartridge" (if we bought two of them). While the delta is not huge, is this simply the cost of two physical parts vs one? Could there be a sound difference in the mono cards vs. the stereo card? Will be interesting to eventually hear this, but if anyone has reports from the field please chime in.
  • Same question for the dual mono Organik DAC modules as well. The cost of this one does not seem too bad at "$7,150 Mono Organik DAC sold as pair" when one considers the stereo module is $4,225. The big question I have here is if a SDSM is equipped in a dual mono configuration and the upgraded power supply, and the Klimax DSM is not a dual mono design, could the SDSM in theory out perform to NGKDSM? Are there differences in the analog output stages or are the same same topology?

As the underlying technology of these two systems move closer together, the physical layout and touch points like case work seem to become the major differentiators. But since we are focused on the sound of the music, once a SDSM Classic is set up with Organik or one gets an SDSM Edition, what will be the true sound differences between these systems?

My Organik upgrade for the KDS was £5,400.
The board size is a whole lot bigger than the Selekt Organik module versions...

Looking forward to hearing the new Utopik power supply in comparison to Dynamik!.

Geektastic

Wammer
Jan 7, 2021
Near Wellington, NZ
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Exactly what do they mean by dual mono? Entirely different amp and DAC per left and right as opposed to one card with two channels? Or one per driver in the speakers?

maddog_007

maddog_007
Wammer
Oct 17, 2018
Waterfoot ,Glasgow
AKA
dennis
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Wait a couple of years and buy the best sounding on the pre-owned market. By then there will be proof, not speculation on the way to go. At Linn's new prices its awfully simple to make an expensive mistake, and like buying a new flash car, it's probably lost 30% of its value as soon as you get it out of the box.
You are looking thru' the WRONG end of the telescope laddie...

Audio equipment is not an 'investment opportunity' as such,its meant to be used and enjoyed!.

Linn or similar quality audio equipment may cost a packet ,but looking at your music replay system in purely monetary terms is in my eyes a wee bit short sighted.

Jail4CEOs2

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
AKA
LG G2 65 OLED
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Exactly what do they mean by dual mono? Entirely different amp and DAC per left and right as opposed to one card with two channels? Or one per driver in the speakers?
Only one power supply no matter the number of DACs and amps.

Tendaberry

LP12 Scholar
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Hamburg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Now, this is what I would have expected the display to look like on the new Selekt Edition (around € 16.700,- in the version I'm considering).

Rose.png

This is the Rose all-in-one RS-520 for € 3.700,- btw...

Goodsound

New Wammer
Aug 15, 2019
Switzerland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Now, this is what I would have expected the display to look like on the new Selekt Edition (around € 16.700,- in the version I'm considering).

This is the Rose all-in-one RS-520 for € 3.700,- btw...

I like the fact that you can reconfigure the screen for showing VU meters when music plays.
Hopefully one day Linn offers also the possibility to individualize what you see on your DSM screen.

Reactions: Oscar P.

Sonicman

Wammer
Dec 14, 2018
Germany
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is now more than one year old, but I wouldn‘t start a new thread. Is it decided know what sounds better on the selekt DSM, dual mono or stereo organic DAC?

Reactions: Ray Vardy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles