Linn Owners

Selekt Edition Review (Forum Members)

Billz

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Oct 11, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I thought I would start a thread for forum members that have taking delivery of their new Selekt Edition in its various guises. Hopefully it will be of benefit to those considering purchasing this particular model of the Selekt.

The Selekt Edition that I ordered has the stereo amplifier cartridge with the Organik DAC option, in black. After a seven week wait, I finally got the call from my dealer that it had arrived. It has been in place for less than a week. The Selekt Edition with Amp is replacing my previous two box system of an ADSM/3 and 4200 amp. I was a bit apprehensive, changing my relatively powerful 4200 for a lower powered class D amp and my dealer agreed to give me back my 4200 and swap the cartridge in the Selekt for a stereo out cartridge if I was not satisfied.

Unboxing the Selekt Edition and I am delighted with the casework of my new kit. Beautifully crafted, very weighty and solid. It looks every bit the expensive piece of HiFi that it is. The feet alone are impressive and there should be no need to change them or add anything underneath. As I have a sub to bolster the bass of my Akudoriks, the fact the 'Edition' has sub out sockets, was a game changer for me and one of the reasons, I would never have considered the original Selekt (now the Classik). While the control dial on the top is lovely to look at and feels nice to use, I don't envisage it will get much use as I normally control everything from my iPad.

After configuring things and adding my speakers it's time to give it a listen. First impressions are really good. I have not yet configured SO and have it turned off. Those that may have read my earlier posts, will know that I don't find any benefit to using SO and have it switched off permanently. I may try it on the Selekt at a later date. As previously mentioned, my main concern was swapping my 4200 amp for the built in class D amp, but I needn’t have worried. I still have lots of power to drive my Akudoriks. The sub outputs allow me to send the low frequencies direct to the sub woofer and not to the main speakers. Overall, the sound is similar to what I already had (which is a good thing), but there is extra detail and a more controlled performance. Vocals are especially good, with the ability to hear subtle nuances in the singers voice that I have never picked up on before. Bass control is great. I now feel the bass player swaying to the music as he plays, if that makes sense. It’s hard to believe that after listening to certain tracks for up to 50 years, I can still hear something in the music that I have not heard before.

As I have a new power supply, the Organik DAC and a new amp, it’s hard to say what has made the biggest difference , but I would guess it’s the DAC. I realise that it will probably need a good few hours to settle in before it gives it's best, so its' good to know there is better to come.

Only small niggle for me is the display fades out after each change of track, change of input, etc. It would be nice to have the option to keep it on all the time or not at all. A very minor detail and not something that detracts from the pleasure of owning this wonderful piece of Clyde side engineering.

Overall, I am very happy with my purchase and the deal my dealer gave me. Obviously the trade-in incentive given by Linn played a big part in my decision to upgrade to the Selekt Edition from my Akurate kit. I have deliberately underlined the word upgrade, as there is no doubt in my mind, this has been a worthwhile upgrade for me. I suppose, I could have waited until the upgrades are available for the ADSM, but I don't think my move to the Selekt Edition has cost me much more than it would cost to put the Utopik and Organik in my old ADSM.

Bill.

Last edited:

Goon525

Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
I've had the good fortune to have a Selekt Edition Dual Mono in my home for several days, inserted into my system instead of the Akurate DSM/3 which usually lives there. A few changes were immediately apparent - better soundstage depth (pace What HiFi review), more certainty in the sound, more precise imaging. But whereas (I'm told) the difference is night and day compared with pre-Katalyst versions, with mine the changes were subtler. However, it was a big advantage to have had some time to listen to a lot of stuff (mainly but not exclusively classical), as I've become more and more impressed with the new box. All the good stuff above, but also an ability to draw one more effectively into the music. Lots of bass clarity too. So I'm now persuaded it's a significant improvement. I haven't yet committed to buy - it is a lot more money, and I don't yet have a firm part exchange offer. But I am sorely tempted.

silkie

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 9, 2018
Saffron Walden
AKA
Jon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I collected my Selekt Edition last night. I've only managed to hook it up to the TV so far but the News @ 10 never sounded so good!! ;)

A slightly lest flippant comment on it's capabilities will be coming between Christmas and New Years I expect, however I am very pleased so far!

Have a great Christmas to all of you guys & gals who are so inclined.

JayC

Wammer
Dec 3, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've had the good fortune to have a Selekt Edition Dual Mono in my home for several days, inserted into my system instead of the Akurate DSM/3 which usually lives there. A few changes were immediately apparent - better soundstage depth (pace What HiFi review), more certainty in the sound, more precise imaging. But whereas (I'm told) the difference is night and day compared with pre-Katalyst versions, with mine the changes were subtler. However, it was a big advantage to have had some time to listen to a lot of stuff (mainly but not exclusively classical), as I've become more and more impressed with the new box. All the good stuff above, but also an ability to draw one more effectively into the music. Lots of bass clarity too. So I'm now persuaded it's a significant improvement. I haven't yet committed to buy - it is a lot more money, and I don't yet have a firm part exchange offer. But I am sorely tempted.
Try and get a listen to the stereo organik selekt, I could hear very little difference compared to the mono and it saved me 4k.

Last edited:
  • Confused
Reactions: pdcman and silkie

Goon525

Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
Try and get a listen to the stereo organik selekt, I cold hear very little difference compared to the mono and it saved me 4k.
JayC, was it you that reported roughly a 5-10% improvement with the dual mono? In the context of the total cost of my system, it probably is worth the extra. Though it does seem a lot!

silkie

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 9, 2018
Saffron Walden
AKA
Jon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I collected my Selekt Edition last night. I've only managed to hook it up to the TV so far but the News @ 10 never sounded so good!! ;)

A slightly lest flippant comment on it's capabilities will be coming between Christmas and New Years I expect, however I am very pleased so far!

Have a great Christmas to all of you guys & gals who are so inclined.
So, I had the Selekt Edition running since just before Christmas. It's hard not to come across as trite when talking about new kit so I'll keep it short and sweet. Everything is better, especially the bass control. So much so it now feels like I have a sub in the room and that's without changing anything in my modest front end arrangement. So maybe there is something in the 'Source First' mantra. I only use the streamer and TV inputs but even the kids on Minecraft have told me it sounds better. It's given me everything I thought was lacking in the ADSM/3 before hand. I'm not going to sit hear bleating on about this is good and that is good, just know for me I think it is and I'm happy to answer anyone's questions about jumping into a deal against one, especially if they are coming from an ADSM/3 like me.

I'm very impressed with it.

Goon525

Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
Thanks for the report, Silkie. I’m still trialling the dual mono, and have ordered one. But I won’t see it for a couple of months. I’ll be getting my Akurate DSM/3 back in the system tomorrow, and I’m going to be interested in the backwards comparison. Out of interest, what did you find lacking in the ADSM/3?

silkie

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 9, 2018
Saffron Walden
AKA
Jon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for the report, Silkie. I’m still trialling the dual mono, and have ordered one. But I won’t see it for a couple of months. I’ll be getting my Akurate DSM/3 back in the system tomorrow, and I’m going to be interested in the backwards comparison. Out of interest, what did you find lacking in the ADSM/3?
oh man, this is likely to get me lynched! Mind you I've said it a before so should be no surprise to the regulars. I found Katalyst too bright to the point of being harsh on some of my favourite records. (Looking back I feel I adjusted to its sound) and lacking bass depth (initially I thought that was the amp speaker combo so I lived with it, I even tried to integrate a sub), the Selekt with Organik improves on both aspects in a very pleasant way. Now I don't have any urge to upgrade my front end at all, which is just as well because I can't afford too!! I preferred my MDSM/3 katan and sub system, far more engaging and exciting to listen too than my ADSM/3 M140 system. I don't want to hate on the ADSM/3, I loved owning it and it's far from bad, it's just the SDSM/1 with Organik is clearly better.

Dual mono was a financial stretch too far for me, by all accounts it should be another step up. Hope you enjoy the Selekt as much as I do!! Congratulations on your order!! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Billz

papillon

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 25, 2009
Luxembourg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So, I had the Selekt Edition running since just before Christmas. It's hard not to come across as trite when talking about new kit so I'll keep it short and sweet. Everything is better, especially the bass control. So much so it now feels like I have a sub in the room and that's without changing anything in my modest front end arrangement. So maybe there is something in the 'Source First' mantra. I only use the streamer and TV inputs but even the kids on Minecraft have told me it sounds better. It's given me everything I thought was lacking in the ADSM/3 before hand. I'm not going to sit hear bleating on about this is good and that is good, just know for me I think it is and I'm happy to answer anyone's questions about jumping into a deal against one, especially if they are coming from an ADSM/3 like me.

I'm very impressed with it.
Thanks
Which amp are you using? The internal one?

silkie

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 9, 2018
Saffron Walden
AKA
Jon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks
Which amp are you using? The internal one?
All the details are in my footer bud...

Lounge: Selekt Edition: Stereo Line Out Organik | Linn Silver RCA | Activ Majik 6100 (Tweeters) + 2xLK140 (Bass) | K400 | Aktiv Majik 140

The LK140's are running chakra mono Activ cards.

papillon

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 25, 2009
Luxembourg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
All the details are in my footer bud...

Lounge: Selekt Edition: Stereo Line Out Organik | Linn Silver RCA | Activ Majik 6100 (Tweeters) + 2xLK140 (Bass) | K400 | Aktiv Majik 140

The LK140's are running chakra mono Activ cards.
Thanks
I wonder if the new d-class internal amplifier is a good one

papillon

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 25, 2009
Luxembourg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That’s quite interesting
At least as good as an Akurate amp perhaps then
I wonder if a klimax amp or something like nad m23 as d-class too would be better

Reactions: silkie

CaptenBonScott

CaptenBonScott
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
Sweden, Luleå
AKA
Magnus Blom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That’s quite interesting
At least as good as an Akurate amp perhaps then
I wonder if a klimax amp or something like nad m23 as d-class too would be better

The Class D amp sounds really good in the midrange and treble, on the other hand, it is quite weak in the bass, where Akurate is more detailed and has more weight and umpf. I don't really understand why Linn made it so weak. 50w in 8ohm is a bit low, but it works.

Reactions: Oscar P.

Billz

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Oct 11, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@Billz likes it. He traded his A4200 in and got the class d internal with no regrets reported so far.

But rest assured, even my aging amps get a performance kick in the right direction with the better source.
As silkie says, I have the internal amp which replaced my 4200. I have not noticed any shortcomings in power driving my Akudoriks. I normally have it playing between 60 and 70 depending on how old the track is and this is fairly loud to me in my room. No issues whatsoever. I do have an SVS 3000 sub with 800 watts handling the lows, so this probably helps.

Oscar P.

Wammer
Mar 6, 2020
It would be strange if Linn didn't replace the Klimax and Akurate amps. They both look a bit old-fashioned and visually do not fit the new Selekt and Klimax at all. The internal amplifier of the Selekt is not a serious replacement, not even of the Akurate. It is at most a nice entry-level model. I wonder if Linn can improve the old amps: they still sound pretty good.
Again…the strategy will be to sell the Utopiks first and then present the new amps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles