Ursine Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2005
Glastonbury, UK
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The last time I did Scalford, I plonked the equipment in what seemed the obvious places, wired it up, turned it on...

and cried! I swear wallpaper began to peel itself from the walls. If this happens to you, my advice is DON'T PANIC!

Honestly I wanted to put it all back in the car and go home. Instead I let it all warm up and spent a couple of hours faffing with the speaker positions and ended up with it sounding amazing. For some it was even apparently the sound of the show so if at first you don't succeed, don't give up.

I hope to be there for the whole weekend, helping on the Saturday and enjoying the show on the Sunday (so long as the trains are running and so long as I don't get Covid again - 3 times now!).

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I won’t start a new thread for this, but any tips for packing a large pair of speakers which have no boxes. I am thinking of some plastic L shaped edging to protect the speaker edges. Any other ideas or links to suitable packaging?

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Buy a roll of corrugated card, make your own corner protectors from it.
Start by wrapping speaker with 1 or 2 layers of bubble wrap, then hold corner strips inplace with masking tape before a wrap 6" from top and bottom with packing tape.
My MLs I will be laying on their side on a duvet (head to tail, 69 style) then putting the raider back over the top.

Rolls a corrugated card & bubble wrap from either eBay or office world, storage locker/warehouses will also sell it.

Reactions: lostwin and MF 1000

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My bass units are not going to move much in the van at 160 Kg each but will be protected with a rug or two and strapped the the van sides too. Top monitors have their own flight cases - eBay steal 😀

Reactions: lostwin

terryg1

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Feb 19, 2012
Northampton
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Richard

Gonna be a bit suck it and see with a new venue! We should have a decent number of chairs per room.

If you are concerned how about grabbing the 2 fellas from Audio Note (Darko & Micky ) for advice, your room is dead opposite their room (208) and they've offered to help with room layouts. They are arriving Friday so will be around all day Saturday.

Also 2 fine fellas from the south coast posse in Speedracer and Wizmax the other side of the stairwell to ask if you struggle.

Generally speakers away from the door so people can come in and out easily, we tend to store vinyl in those canvas supermarket bags, somewhere well to one side.

I've always found visitors very respectful of system components and records (aside from someone offering me a joke bid on a double album one year!)

kind regards,
Paul
Will be more than happy of any help my first time ever doing anything like this I’m bricking it alredy

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Will be more than happy of any help my first time ever doing anything like this I’m bricking it alredy
No need for you to brick it Terry as I've already added 2 bricks to my castration kit as suggested by Andrew.

Reactions: terryg1 and bencat

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
All of us started as virgin exhibitors Terry …..don’t be embarrassed in asking for help etc in general it will be freely given and without distain etc.

Reactions: Tony_J

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Basic advice after doing a few Scalfords is to bring as many spares as you have and can make room for in the car/van (cables, etc.). Stick it all where it looks about right, shift it around a bit, but don't sweat it. People will think it sounds spectacular no matter what.

And unless you don't drink, bring plenty of water bottles and some asprins :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: Tony_J and Maverick

Maverick

Staff member
Jun 24, 2013
Huddersfield,W.Yorks
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
plenty of experienced wammers about,
also the 2 lads from Audio Note have offered to help with room set up, just ask them (room 208 is their showroom)

DUVET

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 7, 2021
Middle
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
plenty of experienced wammers about,
also the 2 lads from Audio Note have offered to help with room set up, just ask them (room 208 is their showroom)
Yep I am more than prepared to help people set up . My test record is Push by Bros . Any takers ?

• Haha
Reactions: Jules_S

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yep I am more than prepared to help people set up . My test record is Push by Bros . Any takers ?
I'll take it. What I do with it afterwards is, of course, a different matter.

• Haha

harv

Hard working slacker
Wammer Plus
Jan 5, 2006
deepest S.London, ,
AKA
erm... guess
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Accept it will never sound the same as it does at home... Some people will walk in then walk straight out (unless that just happens to me 🤔) and a few won't say anything. But everyone appreciates the effort and people generally won't ask to stick something on so it's worth asking when you change tracks... And you'll be shocked at how quickly the time goes and then wonder why you brought so much music with you

I'd also take a decent supply of drinks and snacks as it can be hard to escape your room on the day.

Even if you've got a room sitter on the day, your best chance to hear the other rooms is to wander round on Saturday night, especially if you're flying solo

Ultimately though it's a bunch of friendly people spending most of the weekend sharing their passion for tunes and kit... So just try and enjoy it 🙂

(but try and save a little energy for lugging your kit out of the car after a long drive home post show... It hurts)

DUVET

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 7, 2021
Middle
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Accept it will never sound the same as it does at home... Some people will walk in then walk straight out (unless that just happens to me 🤔) and a few won't say anything. But everyone appreciates the effort and people generally won't ask to stick something on so it's worth asking when you change tracks... And you'll be shocked at how quickly the time goes and then wonder why you brought so much music with you

I'd also take a decent supply of drinks and snacks as it can be hard to escape your room on the day.

Even if you've got a room sitter on the day, your best chance to hear the other rooms is to wander round on Saturday night, especially if you're flying solo

Ultimately though it's a bunch of friendly people spending most of the weekend sharing their passion for tunes and kit... So just try and enjoy it 🙂

(but try and save a little energy for lugging your kit out of the car after a long drive home post show... It hurts)

Harv you old rascal . Looking forward to a catch up

Reactions: Tony_J and harv

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles