Setting up Origin Live arms? A pain in the proverbial, or is it just me???

Julian Japanese

Wammer
New Wammer
Feb 5, 2007
Swindon, , United Ki
Hi everyone,

A while ago, I bought myself an Origin Live Silver to go on a Technics SL1000mk2 (SP10 plus SH10B3 plinth). I spent ages measuring the holes, drilling and setting up. I read so many good things about these modified arms, and I thought that I was well on the way to great sounds, and tried to set up an MC25FL and DL304.

In the end, I lost my patience with it and bought an SME V (sounds fabulous, and a doddle to adjust in any direction). I had previously come from the SL1200mk2 school , with all manners of adjustment at just the turn of a dial.

For me, the origin live silver was extremely difficult to set up (beyond belief really) - I almost thought that I'd bought a dud. I found myself just nudging the weight along the armtubealmost nanometresat a time so not to overdothe downforce a whole 10g, when i wastrying to nudge it from 1.5 to 2.2 on my Shure scale.They told me not to tighten it up too much to the armboard - so once i was fiddling with the cartridge in the headshell, or tightening up the counterweight with the allen key (making sure it was at a certain angle), i found that all of the measurements previously set were thrown out of kilter again!!!! Arghhh!!!!!
angry_smile.gif.8c0f636dd68eb7da5c2577e161ee9e27.gif

So, I asked for help. The origin livemanual is not written for anyone in mind - novice or professional. So, I was a bit on a limb really - and Mark Baker at Origin Live just told me to 'use common sense' and that the measurements etc in the manual were 'just a guide'. The SME V manual caters for everyone, and is a doddle in comparison.

So guys - is it just me, or are these arms just ridiculously finicky to use, and is the Technoarm the same? (The counter weight looks a different design to that of OL).

Cheers .....Julian :mmmm:

(BTW - anybody want to buy an unused mint OL silver. Its going on eBay soon. I hope you have a rock steady hand. Maybe brain surgeons need only apply!)

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Technoarm is a breeze to install and use.

The Michell VTA adjuster and finger nut are lovely, simple and well thought out. The counterweight is a doddle just loosen the allen bolt and turn the end stub which moves the weight. The end stub has little markers on it so that you can work out how much downforce is being applied. Test with a gauge and if ok tighten the allen bolt - easy-peasy.

One thing I would say is that from experience Ive found the shure guageinaccurate and can give different readings even after no adjustments have been made. May be worth getting a decent electronic guage - costs about £35 to £55 according to where you purchase it from.

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As a former OL Silver user i've heard/read all kinds of horror stories about poor build quality/incorrectly aligned armtubes etc. I found mine very simple to set up, it is after all basically a Rega RB250. Perhaps your examplehas a fault?

I changed to a Michell Tecnoarm last year (it cost £170 less than the OL) and it absolutely pisses all over the OL. Build quality is vastly better and the Tecnoweight is less fiddly to adjust too.

Just ordered an SME V too- awaiting rewire/delivery at the moment. I take it you found the SME sounds quite different to the OL?

Julian Japanese

Wammer
New Wammer
Feb 5, 2007
Swindon, , United Ki
I didn't manage to get a sound out of the OL Silver in the end - i lost my rag, and just put it back in its box. I'm a bit new to vinyl at this sort of level, so didn't want to chance it with the cartridge unless I felt that it was absolutely set up properly.

As I said, it will be going on eBay soon.

The SME V is certainly a great device. The build is very solid, and for me the best thing is the amount of adjustability you have. I've used it with an MC25FL and the 304. Soundwise - MC25: very tight yet deep bass, plenty of speed and clarity all the way up to the treble. The 304 is softer, but the midrange is clearer. I know that these are pretty weak carts in comparison. Ortofon Jubilee's a getting very cheap online in Germany, so maybe will fit one of these in time. Its going through a Dino with Dino+.

Cheers.

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Julian Japanese wrote:

I didn't manage to get a sound out of the OL Silver in the end - i lost my rag, and just put it back in its box. I'm a bit new to vinyl at this sort of level, so didn't want to chance it with the cartridge unless I felt that it was absolutely set up properly.As I said, it will be going on eBay soon.

The SME V is certainly a great device. The build is very solid, and for me the best thing is the amount of adjustability you have. I've used it with an MC25FL and the 304. Soundwise - MC25: very tight yet deep bass, plenty of speed and clarity all the way up to the treble. The 304 is softer, but the midrange is clearer. I know that these are pretty weak carts in comparison. Ortofon Jubilee's a getting very cheap online in Germany, so maybe will fit one of these in time. Its going through a Dino with Dino+.

Cheers.
Forget the Jubilee imo - try a Shelter 501 mk2.

G

Papa Lazarou wrote:

Julian Japanese wrote:
I didn't manage to get a sound out of the OL Silver in the end - i lost my rag, and just put it back in its box. I'm a bit new to vinyl at this sort of level, so didn't want to chance it with the cartridge unless I felt that it was absolutely set up properly.As I said, it will be going on eBay soon.

Cheers.
Forget the Jubilee imo - try a Shelter 501 mk2.
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif

kingsxfan

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Wirral
AKA
Phil
No experience of the OL Silver:zip:but the Tecnoarm is a doddle to install and set-up. Finish and workmanship is bonkers for the money.

KxF

Emma Royd

Super Wammer Plus
Wammer
May 10, 2006
Dartford
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Julian Japanese wrote:

So, I asked for help. The origin livemanual is not written for anyone in mind - novice or professional. So, I was a bit on a limb really - and Mark Baker at Origin Live just told me to 'use common sense' and that the measurements etc in the manual were 'just a guide'. The SME V manual caters for everyone, and is a doddle in comparison.

So guys - is it just me, or are these arms just ridiculously finicky to use, and is the Technoarm the same? (The counter weight looks a different design to that of OL).

Cheers .....Julian :mmmm:

(BTW - anybody want to buy an unused mint OL silver. Its going on eBay soon. I hope you have a rock steady hand. Maybe brain surgeons need only apply!)
No it is'nt just you,I had an RB250,then had that fully modded by OL,now use an OL Illustrious,all use the archaic(sp)abortive counterweight/sub,which can beand normallyisa pain in the arse.The Shure gauge does'nt help either,always found that a bit iffy.

I see Mr Baker was his normal charming self
wink.png

kingsxfan

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Wirral
AKA
Phil
nixon_fiend wrote:

cor blimey, how many zeros do you have in your kit names?why are the japanese obsessed with such huuuge numbers?
Throw a few more ones in, run it through a DAC and you got a tune...maybe!

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I find the sure gauge to be fine however where you are operating with an arm with no indication of the weight you are setting I can see an electronic one is the way to go.

I have yet to convert my arm and can someone tell me if the techno weight sounds better than the OL mod? I like the fact that more cartridges are catered for and setting the playing weight is far more elegant.

Also has anyone tried the bronz one that crops up regularly on eBay?

Uzzy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pops