Wammer
Wammer
Mar 13, 2012
France
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've moved my rack and the back of the amplifier is now about 20cm from the socket. Are there any electricians here who could tell me if it's ok to make, say, a 30cm mains lead? (IEC plug to standard three core cable to schuko plug.) Is there any minimum length which should be respected? The shortest ready made mains cable I've found is a metre.

Thanks.

Tony_J

Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
Bunessan
AKA
Tony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There is no minimum length - make it as short as you like.

Valvebloke

Wammer
Dec 3, 2009
Didcot, Oxon
AKA
Graeme
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There's no electronic reason why you can't make a short mains lead. The only issues will be related to the safety regs. These days equipment has to be not only electrically safe but also, in a sense, mechanically safe too. So if a lead was so short that it could require someone to dangle an extension socket in free space then perhaps the people who wrote the safety regs wouldn't approve it ? In the UK those regs are enacted through the Electrical Equipment Safety Regulations 1994 which refer to a European standard. You are in France, of course. The standard will be the same there but your local regulations might be different from the UK ones. You use Schuko connectors, for example. You might feel that since you're making this yourself for use with your own equipment in your own home then you can decide what's safe and what isn't. You may be right in a legal sense i.e. it may not breaking the law to break the regs. Where it can really bite you, and bite hard, is if your insurance company use it as justification for not paying out when you make a my-house-has-burnt-down claim. If you're going to invalidate your policy then you might as well save yourself the premiums. You could phone them and ask what they think.

VB

Leonard Smalls

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Shropshire Borders,
So long as you know how to properly terminate a plug there should be no problems, insurance or not!

If the outer sheath continues into the plug (i.e. the strain relief is holding the sheath), individual conductors are the correct length (i.e. no kinking or excess) and in the right hole (!), no copper is showing outside the pin connector and no there are no stray strands it will be largely indistinguishable from a commercially made plug.

Saying that, I've seen some shockingingly made commercial plugs, and home-made ones!

And there is also the argument that an over-long lead could cause a trip hazard, and if coiled, a fire hazard...

minorrevival

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 13, 2012
France
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks Leonard. I've made cables before with no ill effects & I'm very careful with the connections. I just wasn't sure if commercial cables were all a metre or longer for a reason other than profit.

You're right about the length; at the moment my power leads are snaking out a few feet from the rack so as not to be coiled - Mrs M has been complaining about the mess, hence the pressing need for shorter ones.

Ed Howarth

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 17, 2012
Isle of Mull
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Amazing that only a handful of years ago, appliances came with no plug attached. How we forget! It was amazing that Mr average and Mr thicko didn't burn their house down. I am especially thinking of my dad here.... Burn marks on the socket covers were just part of my childhood.

Tony_J

Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
Bunessan
AKA
Tony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Amazing that only a handful of years ago, appliances came with no plug attached. How we forget! It was amazing that Mr average and Mr thicko didn't burn their house down. I am especially thinking of my dad here.... Burn marks on the socket covers were just part of my childhood.
Socket covers...? Luxury!

johnniebaby

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 11, 2006
Midlands
AKA
John
I remember when I was a young child (1950s), my grandmother had a few appliances including a vacuum cleaner which plugged into a bayonet ceiling light fitting :shock:

alphatoner

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 17, 2007
Tring, Herts
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I remember when I was a young child (1950s), my grandmother had a few appliances including a vacuum cleaner which plugged into a bayonet ceiling light fitting :shock:
mine still does, is that not a good idea?

Valvebloke

Wammer
Dec 3, 2009
Didcot, Oxon
AKA
Graeme
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Bayonetplug_zps6e7b0bf8.jpg

... how to get your hi-fi off the same ring main as the fridge, without the cost and fuss of running a separate spur :^ :D .

(EDIT Just to be absolutely clear: this is a joke.)

VB

Leonard Smalls

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Shropshire Borders,
... how to get your hi-fi off the same ring main as the fridge, without the cost and fuss of running a separate spur :^ :D .

(EDIT Just to be absolutely clear: this is a joke.)

VB
:geek:Dedicated circuit/:geek:

And to tell the truth, fridges are probably less electrically noisy than a modern lighting circuit that's dribbling with compact fluorescents and associated harmonics...

A proper hifi home should have LEDs, preferably non-dimming.

Tony_J

Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
Bunessan
AKA
Tony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
:geek:Dedicated circuit/:geek:And to tell the truth, fridges are probably less electrically noisy than a modern lighting circuit that's dribbling with compact fluorescents and associated harmonics...

Not much difference, given that the LED drivers are often switch-mode power supplies these days.

Valvebloke

Wammer
Dec 3, 2009
Didcot, Oxon
AKA
Graeme
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've seen 70's hifi with enough LEDs on the front that you wouldn't need any other lights. The same would (nearly) be true for anyone running a power amp based on 211s ...

VB

misterpete

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 28, 2007
N Yorks
AKA
Have a guess!
My mother used to plug the iron into a light socket, it was a double socket, one side for the bulb, the other for whatever you wanted. (the house never burnt down :nerves: )

Leonard Smalls

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Shropshire Borders,
Not much difference, given that the LED drivers are often switch-mode power supplies these days.
But the beauty is that the money you save can then be spent on something useful, like hookers'n'coke.

Not only that, but you, personally, will have saved the planet...

rod

Wotsit
Wammer
Mar 28, 2011
H&W
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Plug, what's wrong with stuffing the wires into a socket...

:D

I am joking!!

jtt1888

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 11, 2007
Dunfermline
AKA
Jim
I just wasn't sure if commercial cables were all a metre or longer for a reason other than profit.

I also wondered about this. I ordered a couple of kettle leads from mains cables r us and specifically asked them to be made at 0.6m long. They were made to order but when delivered they were exactly 1.0 m long. I just assumed they hadn't noticed my specific request.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k23435