oldius

Staff member
Dec 30, 2008
Liverpool
AKA
Geoff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
How does this combination stack up to modern arms and carts?

Arm would be origami'd and cartridge fitted with Jico SAS.

bmtell

Wammer
Wammer
May 9, 2010
Northampton
AKA
Mark
I've had 3009's for years. Pretty things but can be easily bettered. A rewire helps them out a lot. I still have one knocking about somewhere. It was replaced on my old Thorens by an old Hadcock, which improved to detail and separation quite a bit. The cartridge used was a Shure VST V. The tip was replaced, due to a cleaning accident, with a Jico SAS one. Sounded very nice to me.

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've been using a V15iii with an Ed Saunders stylus lately, in my AT-1010 arm (medium mass).

Very 'nice' sound - really pleasant to listen to.

Moderate to high rez, a little comfortable at the top end (although that might be down to my medium mass arm), nice open mids, deep bass quite powerful but lacking a bit in definition.

Quite a decent 3D 'stage for a mm, too.

Tracks like a demon.

If nice is what you want, then look no further. But a decent MC cart punts it into the weeds in terms of all the audiophile things, imo. But they tend to cost more.

I feel sure (boom boom) that a Jico stylus ups its performance, but I haven't heard one.

RSand

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 25, 2012
Liverpool
AKA
Rob
I had a v15 III with original HE diamond and although it was not an ideal partner to either of the arms I used it on RB600 and NAS AceAnna it sounded pretty good. I imagine it will sound even better on a more suitable arm, your phono stage may show up its weaknesses in a way mine never could.

Its a fave over on VE forum where the consensus is that partnered with the SAS puts it in Ortofon 2m Black territory.

old_school

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 8, 2011
London
AKA
Jay
An early 3009 Series 2 might be a bit on the heavy side for the V15III, but an Improved should be a good match. Make sure the arm is in good nick so you can ge the most out of the SAS. I used my V15III with SAS on a Series III, which was a match made in, well, wherever Shure and SME did their engineering collaboration. At the time they were still working hand-in-glove I think. I still have the cartridge, and just heard it again last weekend for the first time in a couple of years. Sounded so good, I think it'll go back in play for a bit.

take5

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 17, 2008
lancs
AKA
brian
Geoff, if you are unsure about buying this, you are welcome to borrow my 3009 non improved (earlier and better) to have a play around.

oldius

Staff member
Dec 30, 2008
Liverpool
AKA
Geoff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
No uncertainty Brian but cheers, I'm just asking how the combo stacks up to modern arm and cart combinations.

themadlatvian

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 28, 2008
Huddersfield
AKA
John
I think it stacks up well. I have an Improved with a V15IV SAS upstairs connected up at this very moment, and it is a very good performer. Sold my V15III some years ago, but liked that when I had it, and my Dad wouldn't entertain using anything else.

I enjoy many good MCs as well, but I keep going back to the Shure sound - the tracking is unbeatable, and when you play as many organ music records as I do then that really matters.

:^

oldius

Staff member
Dec 30, 2008
Liverpool
AKA
Geoff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
That's interesting John.

I have an NA Ace Anna with AT Art 1,

an Origin Live Conqueror with Denon DL-S1 and an Audiomods V with AT33PTG.

It's pretty clear I'm obsessed I grant you but the SME Shure thing interests me. It was "the thing" for such a long time I wonder how it compares now.

mjkelshaw

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 6, 2010
Torquay, Devon
AKA
Michael John Kelshaw
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Nah, fit's like a glove mate.
I seem to recall all those years ago that the V15-3 was introduced before the 3009-S2 Imp was introduced and when mounted in the SME Series 2 arms was considered to be one of the better combinations at the time.

However it was a long time ago, but I do remember 'trading-in' a 3009 Series 2 arm for the later 3009 S2 Improved with the non-detachable h/shell which was being offered as an 'introductory offer' by SME.

I had purchased the SME 3009 Series 2 mounted on S/Hand TD124-2 for £60:00 from a 'HiFi' shop in Stockport, one Saturday morning when I was on the way to the 'open air' market, as I recall, I actually borrowed the cash from my 1st wife - Happy Days - Later I purchased a V15-4 to partner it, which was sometime in the late 70's.

I still have the TD124-2 and the V15-4 and I have just had an SME 3009 Series 2 arm refurbished by Audio Origami to mount on the TD124-2 as soon as actually have the time to do it.

Regards

Mike Kelshaw

AGrail

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 15, 2009
Devon
The earlier S2 detachable is a handy arm and with the odd weight swap can accommodate a fairly wide range of cartridges. The S2 Improved fixed head is really for the light trackers (Particularly the V15 IV and V)

SME were moving with the times, saving a little production cost and building arms to suit Shure - Here's some bumf :

RobHolt

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 28, 2006
East London
AKA
Rob
I have an early split weight 3009 and really like it.

It sounds markedly better with the FD200 damper in operation IME, and this usefully widens the acceptable cartridge compliance range allowing the use of things like the more compliant Shure MMs through to low compliance MCs.

However, I always have a slight sense of relief when I swap back to my old Mission 774 which just seems to give crisper dynamics and harder left/right image placement when the music demands. So I think the older 3009 is a nice versatile arm but it does impart it's signature as a slight softening/compression effect IME, dependent on the cartridge used.

old_school

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 8, 2011
London
AKA
Jay
I have a really early series 2, with split weight, with the rear weight/wayrod/rider assembly fixed at the rear like the Series 1. It was built to mate with cartridges like SPUs and others with 3+g tracking force, so it's effective mass is quite a bit more than the Series 2 that came a bit later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles