Wammer
Jul 27, 2005
The Hoo Peninsula
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I bought this film at the Weekend, has anyone else seen it? If so what did they think?

If I had not read the hype I would have thought fucking great. I read the hype and felt disappointed.

The wife complained that we could have watched Cold Mountain, I said I could have cut my knackers off but I didn't.

iann

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 10, 2005
Edinburgh, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Saw it at the pics and thought it was very funny. Keep meaning to get it on DVD, but I'm too miserly.

Good film though, I'd recommend it.

Brown Bottle

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 27, 2005
The Hoo Peninsula
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
iann wrote:

Saw it at the pics and thought it was very funny. Keep meaning to get it on DVD, but I'm too miserly.Good film though, I'd recommend it.
I bought it for £6.99 in the sales so not too bothered. NormallyIonly buy DVD's once I have seen the film, however, on this occasion I bought it based on reviews.

If someone sat me down and said watch this film I would have enjoyed it, however, it was sold as a comedy, and on that basis I bought it, thinking it would be better than the latest American Pie, Austin Powers,Ben Stiller,Richard Curtis Comedy.

I suppose that what I am saying that none of the 'comedy films' that have been released lately make me laugh.

I think that the last films I really laughed at were Trainspottingand Toy Storyand they must be 10 years old.

iann

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 10, 2005
Edinburgh, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Brown Bottle wrote:

thinking it would be better than the latest American Pie, Austin Powers,Ben Stiller,Richard Curtis Comedy.
Comedy???
I suppose that what I am saying that none of the 'comedy films' that have been released lately make me laugh.

I think that the last films I really laughed at were Trainspottingand Toy Storyand they must be 10 years old.
Probably right there, but that may be to do with my getting old. Best comedies are still This is Spinal Tap (1984) and His Girl Friday (1940).

Brown Bottle

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 27, 2005
The Hoo Peninsula
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Iann - you're getting my drift.Something like 'The Odd Couple' pisses all over what is regarded as comedy now a days, however, people who I work with think I am some sort of Dinosaur for liking such films.

When I mention that my favourite film of all time is 'The Graduate' they ask me how I can compair it to Titanic. Simple, I don't, one is fucking great, the other one has a bird staring that I would love to haveget down with for the wwekend.

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I bought this in the sales recently as well.

Where the fK is the comedy in this ? I love comedies, even dodgy sitcoms get a chuckle out of me, but this ???????

Shame cos both of the main actors are very good.

Boxer

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 2, 2005
Brown Bottle wrote:

Iann - you're getting my drift.Something like 'The Odd Couple' pisses all over what is regarded as comedy now a days, however, people who I work with think I am some sort of Dinosaur for liking such films.When I mention that my favourite film of all time is 'The Graduate' they ask me how I can compair it to Titanic. Simple, I don't, one is fucking great, the other one has a bird staring that I would love to haveget down with for the wwekend.
Yeah, most recent "comedy" films, well mainstream ones anyway, seem to be aimed at a slightly dim 14 year old boywho only likes knob & fart gags (as far as I can see). Back in the day, as I recall, films were also made for grown-ups.....

And as for Titanic........ over-rated, over-long, over-hyped, emotionally manipulative nonsense AND stars Leonardo Dicrapio & with songs by Saline Dying (IMVVVHO, natch).

Definitely not to be mentioned in same breath, or paragraph, as The Graduate.

I feel old again.

Boxer

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
boxer wrote:

And as for Titanic........ over-rated, over-long, over-hyped, emotionally manipulative nonsense AND stars Leonardo Dicrapio & with songs by Saline Dying (IMVVVHO, natch). Definitely not to be mentioned in same breath, or paragraph, as The Graduate.

I feel old again.

Boxer
Great review of Titanic.
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif
:^
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif

Mainstream Hollywood studios seem to be focussing heavily on 2 types of "product" ATM:

1. Shit remakes of old films, only some of which were any good the first time around; and

2. New films which are shit straight out of the box.

1960'sto 80's were Hollywood's peak years IMO, after that they started to aim their films at kids, or at retarded adults with very short attention spans. CGI effects have generally been a bad thing as far as quality is concerned.As for the sound effects, I'd rather have a great script in mono than a piss-poor one in 7.1 Dolby Digital.

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Cambs, , United King
I watched Sideways this afternoon - not too bad, some funny moments, nothing special though. The fact I didn't sympathise with either of two lead characters didn't help either
71_71.gif.90e48c720ca56a2d2fa0532dd3380cc7.gif

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Brown Bottle wrote:

I bought this film at the Weekend, has anyone else seen it? If so what did they think?If I had not read the hype I would have thought fucking great. I read the hype and felt disappointed.

The wife complained that we could have watched Cold Mountain, I said I could have cut my knackers off but I didn't.
Cold mountain is quite a good film mate. You should get it out "for the missus" pretend to hate it and get loads of brownie points.

Brown Bottle

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 27, 2005
The Hoo Peninsula
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
hifiwigwam wrote:

Brown Bottle wrote:
I bought this film at the Weekend, has anyone else seen it? If so what did they think?If I had not read the hype I would have thought fucking great. I read the hype and felt disappointed.

Cold mountain is quite a good film mate. You should get it out "for the missus" pretend to hate it and get loads of brownie points.
Cheers James, she's Sky+'d it and is waiting for me to sit and watch it with her. I like your idea.

Leonard Smalls

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Shropshire Borders,
I enjoyed "Sideways", but then I'm a poncey wine snob, and I discovered the music was written by someone I was an University with...

Next up on Amazon dvd rental is "Serial Mom" (proper comedy :dude:) followed by "Overnight" and "Dig"..

The it's the joy of "Whisky Galore"..

IHaveNoNaim

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 27, 2005
, ,
Leonard Smalls wrote:

I enjoyed "Sideways", but then I'm a poncey wine snob, and I discovered the music was written by someone I was an University with...Next up on Amazon dvd rental is "Serial Mom" (proper comedy :dude:) followed by "Overnight" and "Dig"..

The it's the joy of "Whisky Galore"..
Dig!

Now thats a funny/sad/scary (as in OMG that guy's seriously out of control) film

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online