silver or copper internal speaker wiring

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Having just bought a pair of DIY quarter wave horns on here. The builder fitted silver speaker cable inside.
I think this could be responsible for a glossy sheen over all the top end.
They are difficult to get into, youtube showed me how but would you bother?
I could probably live with it, just about, but very obvious when playing loud-ish.

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In y opinion it's a characteristic of the driver rather than the 1m or so of cable..
I have tuned it down from a designer preferred 2.7ohms, to 5ohms resistor in the crossover.
The designer (Troels Gravesen) did say some people may prefer more attenuation of the tweeter driver.

Reactions: Strider

Strider

Show me your Fooses
Wammer Plus
Jan 16, 2006
Here and there
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have tuned it down from a designer preferred 2.7ohms, to 5ohms resistor in the crossover.
The designer (Troels Gravesen) did say some people may prefer more attenuation of the tweeter driver.
I wouldn't know where to start, I'd be terrified something would go pop!

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In y opinion it's a characteristic of the driver rather than the 1m or so of cable..
hopefully you're right, its a big faff to alter them and would jigger up the driver/cabinet seals.
Only had them a week, time will tell, or play stuff quieter!

One other thing when I turn the amp off the main driver does a funny little jig about to a couple of low level outputs as the amp powers down.

• Wow

tackleberry

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2010
Leeds..ish
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
hopefully you're right, its a big faff to alter them and would jigger up the driver/cabinet seals.

One other thing when I turn the amp off the main driver does a funny little jig about to a couple of low level outputs as the amp powers down.
Wouldn’t worry…

• Thanks
Reactions: toms wait

Sir_Franc

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 10, 2005
East Sussex
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I have good quality interconnects. Its probably just the way of things!
I wasn't really thinking of the quality, more like the different sound characteristics so some can sound a little bright, while others aren't so much etc.

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Power amps do sometimes put out a LF thud, or a near DC signal as they fade away, and that’ll cause your cones to gyrate. As long as it’s not excessive then you should be OK, but it’s nothing to do with the speaker, ime, though a sealed box will be less visible than a reflex or ABR design.

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Power amps do sometimes put out a LF thud, or a near DC signal as they fade away, and that’ll cause your cones to gyrate. As long as it’s not excessive then you should be OK, but it’s nothing to do with the speaker, ime, though a sealed box will be less visible than a reflex or ABR design.
these are quarter wave horns and its quite marked.
I had a pre-amp that did this and fried 2 sets of bass/mid drivers.

• Sad
Reactions: Strider and Nopiano

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
these are quarter wave horns and its quite marked.
I had a pre-amp that did this and fried 2 sets of bass/mid drivers.
Maybe the amp needs checking, unless you know what to measure? (With pre and power separates, if the power amp is turned off first, then a pre- shouldn’t be an issue.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles