Silvercore 1 to 10 or Audio Note Step-up Kit

glowingtones

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 1, 2011
Unfortunately I first came into contact with MC step up transformers via the expensive end. A friend of mine used an Icon Audio PS3 phono and fed his Van Den Hul Black Beauty into the MC side. He then decided it wasn't good enough and to cut a long story short he bought a Kondo after trialling Stevens & Billingam and Music First. So the first SUT's I heard were pretty damn good. Unfortunately my meagre income precludes my from such esoteric devices so I've been looking for a 'decent' SUT to feed the MM stage in my Croft preamp at a budget of under £500. I use a Goldring Eroica LX cartridge and I eventually plan to move to a Benz Micro Glider so a 1:10 transformer is what I need to feed the Croft MM stage. So here's what happened over the last couple of months....

I started off by fancying the Glasshouse transformers designed by Andy Grove - good value at £108 for a pair for a DIY build but I have found it difficult getting help from HiFi Collective about the spec. I also looked at the Partridge transformers found on eBay but the 1:10's were expensive.

I then looked at the Rothwell MC1 but decideded against it because I thought most of the feedback wasn't positive enough for it to be a bargain at the price.

Moving on to the £350 bracket the Icon Audio MCTX which I guessed were the same transformers as in my friends PS3 phono didn't do it for me and I didn't like the idea of the multi taps in the Puresound T10.

Next at around £450 and closest to my budget ceiling are the Silvercore 1 to 10 which apparently uses small toroidal transformers and the Audionote Step-up Transformer Kit. Both appeal to me ... the Silvercore with it's non magnetic stainless steel case is a nice idea and the Audionote Kit seems to be untimately configurable for any cartridge you throw at it.

So after months of research I've decided to go for either the ready built Silvercore or Audionote kit and before I go to the suppliers for some biased sales speak ;) .. I would like to ask the forum if anyone has any experience of either of these two SUT's or if I've missed out on any options in between ?

Thanks in advance ...

unclepuncle

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 11, 2007
Northants
I had the Silvercore 1:10 on home trial from Deco Audio - it was pretty good but was no match for a Hashimoto HM3 based SUT.

i_should_coco

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2006
I'd suggest giving Dave Slagle at Intact Audio or Pieter Treurniet of Tribute a shout. Both are absolutely top class and prices are reasonable (assuming you don't want silver). The copper Slagle I had made for the Io kicked most of the Audio Note range up to the S5 up the arse.

glowingtones

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 1, 2011
I had the Silvercore 1:10 on home trial from Deco Audio - it was pretty good but was no match for a Hashimoto HM3 based SUT.
Thankyou Paul.

I would rather not go for switiching like in the AN-S2 and I followed the recent thread about your experiences with SUT's. I also considered Hashimoto but I couldn't figure out how easy or difficult they were to build - so the options I went for were the simplest around at the price I can afford

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Slagle, Hashimoto or Tribute.

For an SUT designed to work with carts like the Goldring. ANs are spectacular, but primarily wound to accommodate the Io range and it's need for a massive ratio.

Potential business deal in the offing at Rab Towers. I might PM you...

glowingtones

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 1, 2011
I'd suggest giving Dave Slagle at Intact Audio or Pieter Treurniet of Tribute a shout. Both are absolutely top class and prices are reasonable (assuming you don't want silver). The copper Slagle I had made for the Io kicked most of the Audio Note range up to the S5 up the arse.
Thanks - I've bookmarked both (... neither cropped up in any of my web trawls)

G

Bit of a technical minefield, so use search, stacks of excellent SUT info therein.

I tried a Slivercore & got hum.

Papa L lent me his.

Neither gave the improvement I wanted.

In the end I sent detailed cart spec to Tom Willis (Art Audio) who bespoke made one to suit the Ortofon Per Winfield cart.

This really did the trick and comes in around your budget.

IMHO bespoke is the way to go.

glowingtones

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 1, 2011
Bit of a technical minefield, so use search, stacks of excellent SUT info therein.I tried a Slivercore & got hum.

Papa L lent me his.

Neither gave the improvement I wanted.

In the end I sent detailed cart spec to Tom Willis (Art Audio) who bespoke made one to suit the Ortofon Per Winfield cart.

This really did the trick and comes in around your budget.

IMHO bespoke is the way to go.
Thankyou Steve,

I'm using a cheap Musical Fidelity active mc stage which is driving me mad and I've searched long and hard for a SUT I can afford. The main reason I came here for help was because I've read so much material about SUT's over the last few months I'm starting to question my sanity. Bespoke may well be the solution.

G

Thankyou Steve,I'm using a cheap Musical Fidelity active mc stage which is driving me mad and I've searched long and hard for a SUT I can afford. The main reason I came here for help was because I've read so much material about SUT's over the last few months I'm starting to question my sanity. Bespoke may well be the solution.
Know the feeling, I went all round the houses till I was dizzy.

Tom W restored my sanity.

Have a chat with Rabski, sounds like he could be tempted into making you one*

Ask anyone, his Hashi is a cracker.

* a couple of crates of cheap meths should be all the persuasion needed.

glowingtones

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 1, 2011
Know the feeling, I went all round the houses till I was dizzy.Tom W restored my sanity.

Have a chat with Rabski, sounds like he could be tempted into making you one*

Ask anyone, his Hashi is a cracker.

* a couple of crates of cheap meths should be all the persuasion needed.
Yes, Rabski emailed me ... I'd be an idiot not to listen.

So right now I'm spoilt for choice and at a price I can justify. I had a funny idea that as many choices I thought I had there would be many more I hadn't considered.

This forum is 'the dogs' !

G

Yes, Rabski emailed me ... I'd be an idiot not to listen. So right now I'm spoilt for choice and at a price I can justify. I had a funny idea that as many choices I thought I had there would be many more I hadn't considered.

This forum is 'the dogs' !
We aim to please :D

Now, if you have any personal problems or serious medical queries you'll know who to ask.

glowingtones

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 1, 2011
We aim to please :D Now, if you have any personal problems or serious medical queries you'll know who to ask.
the very thought of James listening to my problems or hovering over me in medical garb fills me with dread ;)

G

the very thought of James listening to my problems or hovering over me in medical garb fills me with dread ;)
Dont go knocking it till you've tried it :hom:

RSand

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 25, 2012
Liverpool
AKA
Rob
After listening to a few SUT's in my system courtesy of Bob (it costs how much) I've watched this thread with interest especially as I'm also on the SUT journey/lookout. Of the three I tried the one I liked most (Stevens & Billingam) which is probably out of my price range but the improvement was not subtle. The audio innovations SUT sounded dreadful in my system, the Dino+ on its own was much better so its not as simple as just adding a SUT improves things.

glowingtones

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 1, 2011
Thanks Rob

The first time I heard an 'SUT upgrade' was a pair of hand built S & B transformers bypassing the MC stage in my friends Icon Audio PS3 and the sound was much better than with the Icon transformers. His sound was further improved as he tried ever more expensive transformers. There's no doubt a mc step up transformer will improve detail from any MC cartridge but like most tangible improvements there will always a price to pay and the secret is knowing where to stop !

My idea of setting a budget of £500 was to get the best SUT I could that would match my cartridge - I'm convnced the SUT is is imprtant as the cartridge. The downside has been the learning curve - it was a nightmare finding good info on the subject and I've probably learned as much from this forum as elsewhere around the web.

anubisgrau

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 23, 2006
Belgrade Serbia
AKA
Gordan
when talking about intact, you have to put into account their SUTs are unshielded (unless i got things wrong). so you have to deal with it, which may be easy but maybe not, depending on application.

tribute SUTs are at the moment 435e a pair, plus shipping (and probably plus VAT.... not sure about this)....plus unknown waiting time:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles