Small distortion in sound

Broner

Wammer
New Wammer
Apr 16, 2013
When listening to music I occasionally hear a very small distortion in the sound (for only a fragment of a second). It already happens at a low volume and it is difficult to say whether it simply is a very small interruption of the signal or something else. I can't reproduce the distortion by going back to when it happened during a song.

I stream music with spotify, so perhaps this could be the cause but I would like to hear from others whether this is something common when streaming music, or whether it would be worthwhile to check whether the cables are properly connected.

Mind you, it could be that this distortion only comes up once every 1/2 hour - 2 hours.

If you have experience with this, I would like to hear your opinion.

This is my setup: Tannoy DC6T - NAD C356BEE - Arcam RPAC

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Is the noise possibly some kind of interference from a fridge motor or central heating timer etc? I would be looking down the chain of things plugged into the mains as a starting point.

Broner

Wammer
New Wammer
Apr 16, 2013
@bandit no idea, but I will follow up on your suggestion. I can only draw about 3,5-4 kW from the net at one time before everything shuts down. Anyway, it might be the fridge. That's the only thing that really automatically turns on.

EDIT: toyed a little bit by turning on and off my cooking plate (n=10) but that didn't do anything.

@bmtell I only hear myself breathing, birds singing and cars driving in the far distance.

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When listening to music I occasionally hear a very small distortion in the sound (for only a fragment of a second). It already happens at a low volume and it is difficult to say whether it simply is a very small interruption of the signal or something else. I can't reproduce the distortion by going back to when it happened during a song.I stream music with spotify, so perhaps this could be the cause but I would like to hear from others whether this is something common when streaming music, or whether it would be worthwhile to check whether the cables are properly connected.

Mind you, it could be that this distortion only comes up once every 1/2 hour - 2 hours.

If you have experience with this, I would like to hear your opinion.

This is my setup: Tannoy DC6T - NAD C356BEE - Arcam RPAC
I would have thought it is much more likely to be something to do with your computer than external interference. Your computer maybe gets busy with something every now and then, causing the sound to drop out. But you don't give any details about the computer setup.

Broner

Wammer
New Wammer
Apr 16, 2013
It's an old toshiba satellite notebook (6-7 years old I guess). It is only used for spotify but that doesn't mean that it couldn't be busy processing.

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's an old toshiba satellite notebook (6-7 years old I guess). It is only used for spotify but that doesn't mean that it couldn't be busy processing.
I'm not really a Windows guy and so I don't really know how to debug what is going on. Windows machines tend to have 'anti-virus' programs and maybe one of those is doing some epic scan of your hard disk every now and then, but I'm sure other people may have better ideas than I do.

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Lets remember that this is Internet streaming. If you cannot replicate it with files on your hard drive then it is Internet or your LAN. If you can hear it using those files it might be the laptop. You then need to try an alternative source to narrow it down further.

Broner

Wammer
New Wammer
Apr 16, 2013
I will put some cd's in the laptop to test it. If I can isolate the problem to the internet connection or just the computer processing then I can happily ignore the occassional distortions.

Broner

Wammer
New Wammer
Apr 16, 2013
... And thanks for all your replies. It will probably take me a couple of days to compare different sources to the sound I hear to isolate the problem as it only concerns a very small distortion (difficult to hear so you're prone to drive yourself crazy when searching for it) that shows up irregularly.

Who Cares?

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 22, 2012
Or, if you have or can borrow one, try a cdp, completely bypassing your laptop. Or a tuner, or even a radio with a headphone out.

No problem with any of those will point to something to do with your laptop and/or connection.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online