Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
yes the eaton legacy are simply superb . imaging is way up there with the best . real spinetingler sometimes
If the OP can live with the Tannoy Eaton's dated looks, then another over-sized stand mount comes to mind - the big Harbeths. At a Bristol Show a few years ago, I thought the M40 produced the best sound in show. Having a decent sized bass driver makes all the difference - relaxed bass rather than strained bass that is common when small drivers are asked to deliver low notes.

Minicoupeman

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 21, 2015
Sittingbourne
AKA
Andy Andrews
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I too have a small room ( and Sub). If there is one thing I have learned over many years it is……small room equals sealed box. Do not get a ported design.

Reactions: DomT

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If the OP can live with the Tannoy Eaton's dated looks, then another over-sized stand mount comes to mind - the big Harbeths. At a Bristol Show a few years ago, I thought the M40 produced the best sound in show. Having a decent sized bass driver makes all the difference - relaxed bass rather than strained bass that is common when small drivers are asked to deliver low notes.
indeed in fact the tannoy eatons replaced some harbeth shl5plus . in my room they were far far superior in terms of bass and imaging . the M40 are massive though !!!!

Spen ago

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 23, 2012
Warwickshire
AKA
Spencer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’d be putting these on the list. Now Roon ready, you’d have plenty of cash spare for room treatments, whilst these come with dsp etc.
@Knipester brought his along to the wam show a few years back, superb sound for electronic music with all the detail you could ever want. No affiliation with seller, speak to some dealers if your serious.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/dutch-8c-speakers-in-black-natural-oak-immaculate.2426807/

I have the same size room as you, just swapped from Sonus Faber Olympica 1 to Shahinian Arcs. Unfortunately it’s a living room so not able to get away with something so ’pro monitor’ looking.

Reactions: hifinutt

SteveW

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 17, 2010
Nantwich
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Looking for suggestions on small room (4m x 3m) speakers. I'm starting to get that upgrade feeling again but because its a small room, I have to be careful what I go for.

I'm currently running a pair of QAcoustics Concept 300's and they're great but, as is often the case, wondering what could be better. Music style tends to be electronic orientated (hence the subs) and I'm all about detail, imaging and soundstage. The Q's are great but because I have to have them relatively close to the side walls, the soundstage is above and behind the speakers but there's probably not much I can do about that.

Full system:
HoloAudio Spring 3 KTE DAC
Classe CP800 Mk2 (pre amp only mode - running in LP filter from 80hz to the subs so the speakers are mainly upper bass range, mids and treble
Classe CA2300
Q Acoustics Concept 300 (bunged)
2x Rel T5X for low end
Homebuilt roon player (SOTM & Matrix Audio components)
Roon core on a remote Synology NAS

The budget is up to £7k
Just sayin

https://audioaddictsforum.com/thread/2623/visit-arke-audio

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
"I wonder if it could be better" ,, the thing about this game is it can always be better. We have something for some time and wonder.

Well for me it is a case of "does my system sound great and does it make my ears very happy?" The only time anything gets changed is when I hear something better so that when I go home and put my system on then my previous love is now time for a divorce.

Perhaps it was selling the stuff for 6 years that I got to try many many items and as such have a different perspective.
I have had a hankering for a new amp for some years. I have tried many in the system but to date have not tried anything I can afford that makes an improvement big enough to warrant a change. (i.e. when going back to the amp I use my ears have not been disappointed).

So my recommendaiton would be to seek out local wammers and arrange to listen to theirs, annoy the dealers and visit the shows. If when you get home you are then disappointed with the sound of your system then it is time to consider a change.

Back to the beginning .. "could my system sound better" to which the answer is almost definitely but until I actually hear something that makes me disappointed with what I have, nowt gets changed.
If you live close to Northampton I have a pair of Time Windows 3 you could try in the system which may or may not throw some light on whether to change the speakers or not.

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Home demo essential. I have heard some ATC 40As in a room probably about your size and thought that maybe they were too big for the room. A key point is the music that you listen to. A lot of what I listen to has limited bass. Then when I put in a recent electronica recording I am shocked at the difference in bass depth.

Agree no ports in a small room but as you have subs (not my thing) then stand mounts means that you shouldn’t have any issues at all. I would get some Harbeths P3ESR or a pair of Audio Note ANJ.

jobseeker

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 5, 2010
Madeira Island
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have no problem at all with my rear ported Audio Physic Tempo 35 in my sub 4m x 3m room. The ports are about 25-30 cm from the front wall. It’s not necessarily the problem that it’s often said to be.

I used to have a 2.4m square room and had no problem in that with rear ported Amphion Xenons.

Until they are in your room, you really don’t know. True of all speakers, of course.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles