Linn Owners

SME IV on a late 70s LP12?

limbok

Wammer
Aug 13, 2023
Manchester
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I heard the SME IV arm might be too heavy for my LP12, who has one mounted and what extra setup did you have to mount it? Or did you try and fail but I'm still interested in your experience and alternatives?

MickC

Expert Thread Disruptor
Wammer
Oct 8, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Please don't take my word for it but I think I saw a similar query elsewhere and someone (more knowledgeable than I) said the SME IV was a similar weight to the Linn EKOS SE. If that is the case you'd be fine.
Probably need a dealer to jump in here - @ThomasOK - any thoughts/facts?

Mick

limbok

Wammer
Aug 13, 2023
Manchester
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Please don't take my word for it but I think I saw a similar query elsewhere and someone (more knowledgeable than I) said the SME IV was a similar weight to the Linn EKOS SE. If that is the case you'd be fine.
Probably need a dealer to jump in here - @ThomasOK - any thoughts/facts?

Mick
My LP12 still has the original Basik arm and its been great tbh. It would be a shame not to use the SME IV though.

Reactions: MickC

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The arm cable exits the SME out of the rear of the arm, you’d need to check that there’s actually room for that in the LP12 and that you’d be able to dress the arm cable to avoid fouling the suspension.

’troll

limbok

Wammer
Aug 13, 2023
Manchester
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The arm cable exits the SME out of the rear of the arm, you’d need to check that there’s actually room for that in the LP12 and that you’d be able to dress the arm cable to avoid fouling the suspension.

’troll
Oh yes! I didn't even think to check the clearance. Sounds like I need to hear somone elses exp on this arm.

Reactions: Moomintroll

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles